The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs.
-
-
If you think I only have one photo of the stairs inside city hall, then you have another toot coming.
Such a beautiful public space.
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
@CiaraNi One take and I was lucky - not necessarily my favorite stairs, because there is too much poignancy to the whole building, but striking in its appearance nonetheless.
Main stairs at the Stasi headquarters in Berlin.
-
@CiaraNi One take and I was lucky - not necessarily my favorite stairs, because there is too much poignancy to the whole building, but striking in its appearance nonetheless.
Main stairs at the Stasi headquarters in Berlin.
@CiaraNi And yes, current favorite staircase: back staircase in the Postsparkasse building in Vienna. I had to be a bit sneaky to take my photo.
-
@CiaraNi And yes, current favorite staircase: back staircase in the Postsparkasse building in Vienna. I had to be a bit sneaky to take my photo.
@leonieke Great shot
-
@leonieke Great shot
@CiaraNi Thanks!
-
@CiaraNi One take and I was lucky - not necessarily my favorite stairs, because there is too much poignancy to the whole building, but striking in its appearance nonetheless.
Main stairs at the Stasi headquarters in Berlin.
@leonieke Great composition. Captures the atmosphere of that place - I visited it years ago and it still sticks with me.
-
@leonieke Great composition. Captures the atmosphere of that place - I visited it years ago and it still sticks with me.
@CiaraNi Yes, it's been on my mind off and on as well: I left it feeling very subdued.
-
@CiaraNi Yes, it's been on my mind off and on as well: I left it feeling very subdued.
@leonieke Subdued. That's it. It's a very particular kind of subdued, flat awfulness-residue.
-
J jwcph@helvede.net shared this topic
-
@leonieke Subdued. That's it. It's a very particular kind of subdued, flat awfulness-residue.
@CiaraNi That residue made me feel a bit dirty as well for looking at this horrible history with fascination.
-
If you think I only have one photo of the stairs inside city hall, then you have another toot coming.
@CiaraNi oooh, I love the first one. But I bet keeping that handrail clean is a bit of a 'mare.
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
-
@CiaraNi oooh, I love the first one. But I bet keeping that handrail clean is a bit of a 'mare.
@cazmockett And it's always spotless in there, everywhere. Fair play to the cleaning staff.
-
@blotosmetek That's quite a stairs!
-
@cazmockett And it's always spotless in there, everywhere. Fair play to the cleaning staff.
@CiaraNi you almost feel like you need to go in there wearing cotton gloves

-
@blotosmetek That's quite a stairs!
@CiaraNi I wish I had a better photo – unfortunately it's hard to get a take from below. The whole site is absolutely beatiful – a true contender to the more famous Gaudi's work, La Sagrada Familia, only much smaller (it is a city house). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Batll%C3%B3
#Gaudi -
@CiaraNi One take and I was lucky - not necessarily my favorite stairs, because there is too much poignancy to the whole building, but striking in its appearance nonetheless.
Main stairs at the Stasi headquarters in Berlin.
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
@CiaraNi
How about Pomo in Trondheim? -
@CiaraNi you almost feel like you need to go in there wearing cotton gloves

@cazmockett Funny enough, it doesn't feel like that when you are standing in the actual space. You feel respect for the surroundings, absolutely. Yet it's also a very 'lived-in' public space with people wandering in, out and about all the time. There are ordinary council offices, the council chamber, the registry office and often pop-up exhibitions in the foyer. And many visitors on sight-seeing visits. It's both a special and an everyday space at the same time. Quite an architectural feat!
-
@CiaraNi I wish I had a better photo – unfortunately it's hard to get a take from below. The whole site is absolutely beatiful – a true contender to the more famous Gaudi's work, La Sagrada Familia, only much smaller (it is a city house). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Batll%C3%B3
#Gaudi@blotosmetek Looks like an amazing place.

