The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs.
-
@CiaraNi Yes, it's been on my mind off and on as well: I left it feeling very subdued.
@leonieke Subdued. That's it. It's a very particular kind of subdued, flat awfulness-residue.
-
J jwcph@helvede.net shared this topic
-
@leonieke Subdued. That's it. It's a very particular kind of subdued, flat awfulness-residue.
@CiaraNi That residue made me feel a bit dirty as well for looking at this horrible history with fascination.
-
If you think I only have one photo of the stairs inside city hall, then you have another toot coming.
@CiaraNi oooh, I love the first one. But I bet keeping that handrail clean is a bit of a 'mare.
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
-
@CiaraNi oooh, I love the first one. But I bet keeping that handrail clean is a bit of a 'mare.
@cazmockett And it's always spotless in there, everywhere. Fair play to the cleaning staff.
-
@blotosmetek That's quite a stairs!
-
@cazmockett And it's always spotless in there, everywhere. Fair play to the cleaning staff.
@CiaraNi you almost feel like you need to go in there wearing cotton gloves

-
@blotosmetek That's quite a stairs!
@CiaraNi I wish I had a better photo – unfortunately it's hard to get a take from below. The whole site is absolutely beatiful – a true contender to the more famous Gaudi's work, La Sagrada Familia, only much smaller (it is a city house). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Batll%C3%B3
#Gaudi -
@CiaraNi One take and I was lucky - not necessarily my favorite stairs, because there is too much poignancy to the whole building, but striking in its appearance nonetheless.
Main stairs at the Stasi headquarters in Berlin.
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
@CiaraNi
How about Pomo in Trondheim? -
@CiaraNi you almost feel like you need to go in there wearing cotton gloves

@cazmockett Funny enough, it doesn't feel like that when you are standing in the actual space. You feel respect for the surroundings, absolutely. Yet it's also a very 'lived-in' public space with people wandering in, out and about all the time. There are ordinary council offices, the council chamber, the registry office and often pop-up exhibitions in the foyer. And many visitors on sight-seeing visits. It's both a special and an everyday space at the same time. Quite an architectural feat!
-
@CiaraNi I wish I had a better photo – unfortunately it's hard to get a take from below. The whole site is absolutely beatiful – a true contender to the more famous Gaudi's work, La Sagrada Familia, only much smaller (it is a city house). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Batll%C3%B3
#Gaudi@blotosmetek Looks like an amazing place.
-
@CiaraNi
How about Pomo in Trondheim?@wolfgangcramer Great stairs, great shots!
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
The art deco staircase at Herstmonceux Castle.
Or the Elizabethan staircase at Herstmonceux castle.
Or the Grinling Gibbons staircase at Herstmonceux Castle.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3588675571200634&id=herstmoncastle
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4709830842418429&id=herstmoncastle
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=5816965455038290&id=herstmoncastle
-
@cazmockett Funny enough, it doesn't feel like that when you are standing in the actual space. You feel respect for the surroundings, absolutely. Yet it's also a very 'lived-in' public space with people wandering in, out and about all the time. There are ordinary council offices, the council chamber, the registry office and often pop-up exhibitions in the foyer. And many visitors on sight-seeing visits. It's both a special and an everyday space at the same time. Quite an architectural feat!
@CiaraNi interesting. And sad I didn't have newrly enough time in Aarhus to explore more

-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
My favorite stairs are the in in Aarhus University’s main building. Don’t have a picture, but Bing likely does.
The building was built during WW2, and the Nazis wanted to take it over as soon as it was finished. To avoid that, they never “finished it,” during the war, but kept adding stairs and tunnels.
When the war stopped, they stopped pointless additions, so today there are stairwells leading to nothing but a wall. -
@liebach I suspect I'm about to not resist posting a few more. I never have the discipline to stop.
@CiaraNi Good. Your favorite stairs are very pleasing to look at.
-
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
@CiaraNi
My favorite staircase is in Deutsches museum in Munich - it has a V-2 rocket inside, allowing one to see the rocket up close at multiple levels. Part of the casing is cut away to reveal the propulsion system, fuel tanks, etc. -
F folfdk@helvede.net shared this topic
-
Such a beautiful public space.
@CiaraNi is that brass bowl a drinking fountain? I don't think it's connected (though I never inspected it that closely). Interesting choice to disconnect it but still leave it in place huh
