The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs.
-
@CiaraNi One take and I was lucky - not necessarily my favorite stairs, because there is too much poignancy to the whole building, but striking in its appearance nonetheless.
Main stairs at the Stasi headquarters in Berlin.
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
@CiaraNi
How about Pomo in Trondheim? -
@CiaraNi you almost feel like you need to go in there wearing cotton gloves

@cazmockett Funny enough, it doesn't feel like that when you are standing in the actual space. You feel respect for the surroundings, absolutely. Yet it's also a very 'lived-in' public space with people wandering in, out and about all the time. There are ordinary council offices, the council chamber, the registry office and often pop-up exhibitions in the foyer. And many visitors on sight-seeing visits. It's both a special and an everyday space at the same time. Quite an architectural feat!
-
@CiaraNi I wish I had a better photo – unfortunately it's hard to get a take from below. The whole site is absolutely beatiful – a true contender to the more famous Gaudi's work, La Sagrada Familia, only much smaller (it is a city house). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Batll%C3%B3
#Gaudi@blotosmetek Looks like an amazing place.
-
@CiaraNi
How about Pomo in Trondheim?@wolfgangcramer Great stairs, great shots!
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
The art deco staircase at Herstmonceux Castle.
Or the Elizabethan staircase at Herstmonceux castle.
Or the Grinling Gibbons staircase at Herstmonceux Castle.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3588675571200634&id=herstmoncastle
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4709830842418429&id=herstmoncastle
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=5816965455038290&id=herstmoncastle
-
@cazmockett Funny enough, it doesn't feel like that when you are standing in the actual space. You feel respect for the surroundings, absolutely. Yet it's also a very 'lived-in' public space with people wandering in, out and about all the time. There are ordinary council offices, the council chamber, the registry office and often pop-up exhibitions in the foyer. And many visitors on sight-seeing visits. It's both a special and an everyday space at the same time. Quite an architectural feat!
@CiaraNi interesting. And sad I didn't have newrly enough time in Aarhus to explore more

-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
My favorite stairs are the in in Aarhus University’s main building. Don’t have a picture, but Bing likely does.
The building was built during WW2, and the Nazis wanted to take it over as soon as it was finished. To avoid that, they never “finished it,” during the war, but kept adding stairs and tunnels.
When the war stopped, they stopped pointless additions, so today there are stairwells leading to nothing but a wall. -
@liebach I suspect I'm about to not resist posting a few more. I never have the discipline to stop.
@CiaraNi Good. Your favorite stairs are very pleasing to look at.
-
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
@CiaraNi
My favorite staircase is in Deutsches museum in Munich - it has a V-2 rocket inside, allowing one to see the rocket up close at multiple levels. Part of the casing is cut away to reveal the propulsion system, fuel tanks, etc. -
F folfdk@helvede.net shared this topic
-
Such a beautiful public space.
@CiaraNi is that brass bowl a drinking fountain? I don't think it's connected (though I never inspected it that closely). Interesting choice to disconnect it but still leave it in place huh
-
@CiaraNi
How about Pomo in Trondheim?@wolfgangcramer @CiaraNi oooh! I might be visiting Trondheim next year. This is funky!

-
My favorite stairs are the in in Aarhus University’s main building. Don’t have a picture, but Bing likely does.
The building was built during WW2, and the Nazis wanted to take it over as soon as it was finished. To avoid that, they never “finished it,” during the war, but kept adding stairs and tunnels.
When the war stopped, they stopped pointless additions, so today there are stairwells leading to nothing but a wall.@michael Trapper, der ikke fører nogen steder hen i hovedbygningen? I didn't know that. I'll have to drop in and see that next time i pass. Thanks for the tip.
-
@CiaraNi Good. Your favorite stairs are very pleasing to look at.
@liebach Thank you. Say I, as if I were the Chief Stairs Architect.
-
@CiaraNi
My favorite staircase is in Deutsches museum in Munich - it has a V-2 rocket inside, allowing one to see the rocket up close at multiple levels. Part of the casing is cut away to reveal the propulsion system, fuel tanks, etc.@jbiserkov That sounds cool and inventive and instructive all at once.
-
@Chris 'Levitating benches' - that never struck me. Yes, they do look like they're levitating from some angles. I think the mounting mechanism is slightly more visible in this photo. Those architects were amazing.
-
@CiaraNi is that brass bowl a drinking fountain? I don't think it's connected (though I never inspected it that closely). Interesting choice to disconnect it but still leave it in place huh
@reynir Yes, the brass drinking fountain is a Hans Wegner design. I wonder when it was last connected. I think leaving it in place is the right choice - it's stunning.
-
If you think I only have one photo of the stairs inside city hall, then you have another toot coming.
@CiaraNi Those are amazing, and you’ve got me thinking about stairs. I don’t have a photo, but it’s 115 irregular steps from the parking lot up to the top of Mt. Bonnell here in Austin, which provides a sweeping 360° view of the city and hill country to the west, so I am fond of those steps.
-
@CiaraNi Those are amazing, and you’ve got me thinking about stairs. I don’t have a photo, but it’s 115 irregular steps from the parking lot up to the top of Mt. Bonnell here in Austin, which provides a sweeping 360° view of the city and hill country to the west, so I am fond of those steps.
@Devils_Rancher I just looked Mt. Bonnell up on Wikimedia and wow, I can see why you're fond of the place and the steps. Gorgeous landscape, amazing view!
