The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs.
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
My favorite stairs are the in in Aarhus University’s main building. Don’t have a picture, but Bing likely does.
The building was built during WW2, and the Nazis wanted to take it over as soon as it was finished. To avoid that, they never “finished it,” during the war, but kept adding stairs and tunnels.
When the war stopped, they stopped pointless additions, so today there are stairwells leading to nothing but a wall. -
@liebach I suspect I'm about to not resist posting a few more. I never have the discipline to stop.
@CiaraNi Good. Your favorite stairs are very pleasing to look at.
-
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
@CiaraNi
My favorite staircase is in Deutsches museum in Munich - it has a V-2 rocket inside, allowing one to see the rocket up close at multiple levels. Part of the casing is cut away to reveal the propulsion system, fuel tanks, etc. -
F folfdk@helvede.net shared this topic
-
Such a beautiful public space.
@CiaraNi is that brass bowl a drinking fountain? I don't think it's connected (though I never inspected it that closely). Interesting choice to disconnect it but still leave it in place huh
-
@CiaraNi
How about Pomo in Trondheim?@wolfgangcramer @CiaraNi oooh! I might be visiting Trondheim next year. This is funky!

-
My favorite stairs are the in in Aarhus University’s main building. Don’t have a picture, but Bing likely does.
The building was built during WW2, and the Nazis wanted to take it over as soon as it was finished. To avoid that, they never “finished it,” during the war, but kept adding stairs and tunnels.
When the war stopped, they stopped pointless additions, so today there are stairwells leading to nothing but a wall.@michael Trapper, der ikke fører nogen steder hen i hovedbygningen? I didn't know that. I'll have to drop in and see that next time i pass. Thanks for the tip.
-
@CiaraNi Good. Your favorite stairs are very pleasing to look at.
@liebach Thank you. Say I, as if I were the Chief Stairs Architect.
-
@CiaraNi
My favorite staircase is in Deutsches museum in Munich - it has a V-2 rocket inside, allowing one to see the rocket up close at multiple levels. Part of the casing is cut away to reveal the propulsion system, fuel tanks, etc.@jbiserkov That sounds cool and inventive and instructive all at once.
-
@Chris 'Levitating benches' - that never struck me. Yes, they do look like they're levitating from some angles. I think the mounting mechanism is slightly more visible in this photo. Those architects were amazing.
-
@CiaraNi is that brass bowl a drinking fountain? I don't think it's connected (though I never inspected it that closely). Interesting choice to disconnect it but still leave it in place huh
@reynir Yes, the brass drinking fountain is a Hans Wegner design. I wonder when it was last connected. I think leaving it in place is the right choice - it's stunning.
-
If you think I only have one photo of the stairs inside city hall, then you have another toot coming.
@CiaraNi Those are amazing, and you’ve got me thinking about stairs. I don’t have a photo, but it’s 115 irregular steps from the parking lot up to the top of Mt. Bonnell here in Austin, which provides a sweeping 360° view of the city and hill country to the west, so I am fond of those steps.
-
@CiaraNi Those are amazing, and you’ve got me thinking about stairs. I don’t have a photo, but it’s 115 irregular steps from the parking lot up to the top of Mt. Bonnell here in Austin, which provides a sweeping 360° view of the city and hill country to the west, so I am fond of those steps.
@Devils_Rancher I just looked Mt. Bonnell up on Wikimedia and wow, I can see why you're fond of the place and the steps. Gorgeous landscape, amazing view!
-
@Devils_Rancher I just looked Mt. Bonnell up on Wikimedia and wow, I can see why you're fond of the place and the steps. Gorgeous landscape, amazing view!
@CiaraNi We have temperate winters only interspersed with cold snaps. So one of my favorite Christmas memories was when me and a good friend were both at loose ends due to families being out of town, so we bought a six pack, climbed up on the roof of that gazebo and celebrated a breezy but sunny day.
-
@CiaraNi We have temperate winters only interspersed with cold snaps. So one of my favorite Christmas memories was when me and a good friend were both at loose ends due to families being out of town, so we bought a six pack, climbed up on the roof of that gazebo and celebrated a breezy but sunny day.
@Devils_Rancher That is such a lovely memory, both the situation and the place.
-
The stairs in the foyer of Rådhuset is my favourite stairs. (This is the Fediverse, so I assume everyone has a favourite stairs.) Aside from the design, I like the way it frames Aarhus City Hall’s foundation stone.
I thought I knew it well, but only learnt this week that there’s a time capsule buried beneath it. A lead pipe with documents, coins and newspapers of the day. Laid in 1938. Little knowing that Nazis would be occupying the city before construction was finished.
@CiaraNi
Those are beautiful stairs. And I love how you've photographed them, so that each photo looks to me like a completely different set of stairs.
(Now I have to think about stairs I have known...) -
@Devils_Rancher That is such a lovely memory, both the situation and the place.
@CiaraNi It’s also where I first spotted comet Pan Starrs. I managed to get one of the earliest images of it in N America despite the city lights, because I’m stubborn and stuck it out after everyone else called it a scrub and bailed out.
-
@reynir Yes, the brass drinking fountain is a Hans Wegner design. I wonder when it was last connected. I think leaving it in place is the right choice - it's stunning.
@CiaraNi yea no I'm not arguing they should remove it. I just wonder what the thought process was. "Let's remove the water, but keep the water fountain as a monument for a time when drinking water was accessible to the public"
-
@wolfgangcramer @CiaraNi oooh! I might be visiting Trondheim next year. This is funky!

@cazmockett
I liked the exhibition of photos from Catherine Opie, particularly in combination with the videos by Kate Kunath, quite a lot."Mountains Don't Know Their Names"
-
R reynir@social.data.coop shared this topic
