Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist.
-
RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865
Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG
The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.
Quite curious what you think of companies putting human names on AI products. LLMs the obvious one is Claude, but even non-generative AI products like Alexa, Siri, Cortana (lol), etc
I feel like it does serve to humanise them.
-
RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865
Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG
The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.
@CatherineFlick This is why I refuse to thank a chatbot, even if it's actually helpful. It helps remind me that they're machines, not people.
-
RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865
Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG
The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.
@CatherineFlick you know why these techbro fascist twats want to treat ai like it's alive right?
So they can have sex with it.
-
RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865
Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG
The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.
I agree it's weird, but personally I don't see it as creepy.
I do think anyone who is offended by it needs to wake up and notice that usage of LLMs is causing harm to real people and that's the real problem we should be discussing. -
@rzeta0 @CatherineFlick gets me thinking about the digital twins of nematodes that can run on Arduinos, and more recently the fruit fly being subjected to playing beat saber endlessly.
-
Quite curious what you think of companies putting human names on AI products. LLMs the obvious one is Claude, but even non-generative AI products like Alexa, Siri, Cortana (lol), etc
I feel like it does serve to humanise them.
@daf @CatherineFlick They've been given names since ELIZA in the 1960s. Humans always gonna anthropomorphise.
-
@CatherineFlick This is why I refuse to thank a chatbot, even if it's actually helpful. It helps remind me that they're machines, not people.
@lmgenealogy @CatherineFlick personally*, I consider politeness to be a personal attribute more than a particular action. So, I'll generally say please and thank you regardless of the status of the audience.
Your point stands however, that LLMs are machines that emulate thoughtful responses and are not people.*This is a personal stance for me and not an expectation I have of anyone else.
-
@daf @CatherineFlick They've been given names since ELIZA in the 1960s. Humans always gonna anthropomorphise.
@daf @CatherineFlick Cultural update! ELIZA was named for Eliza Doolittle, of Pygmalion (aka My Fair Lady) and classical Pygmalion falls in love with his creation.
Tale as old as time 
-
RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865
Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG
The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.
@CatherineFlick The medics have a neat word for allegations or imputations of illness (or suffering)) where it doesn't actually exist: factitious.
-
RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865
Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG
The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.
@CatherineFlick I think it's worth really talking through why it's weird and creepy. Fixating on, ideating about, and ruminating on cruelty, pain, and torture is a warning sign of dangerously distorted thoughts. If someone spent all of their time *drawing* images of torture, we would think that's creepy because it suggests, if not an active conscious interest in doing such things, at the very least a whole catalog of intrusive thoughts which require therapy to address.
-
@CatherineFlick I think it's worth really talking through why it's weird and creepy. Fixating on, ideating about, and ruminating on cruelty, pain, and torture is a warning sign of dangerously distorted thoughts. If someone spent all of their time *drawing* images of torture, we would think that's creepy because it suggests, if not an active conscious interest in doing such things, at the very least a whole catalog of intrusive thoughts which require therapy to address.
@CatherineFlick That does not mean that we would think the drawings were alive.
-
@rzeta0 @CatherineFlick gets me thinking about the digital twins of nematodes that can run on Arduinos, and more recently the fruit fly being subjected to playing beat saber endlessly.
@vandorb12 @rzeta0 @CatherineFlick it feels weird to call a static map of "just" the cells and connections in the fly's brain a full brain dump. brains have a lot more going on than that
it's still really cool science, but I don't think we've made fruit fly Cephalons yet
-
@vandorb12 @rzeta0 @CatherineFlick it feels weird to call a static map of "just" the cells and connections in the fly's brain a full brain dump. brains have a lot more going on than that
it's still really cool science, but I don't think we've made fruit fly Cephalons yet
@cxberger @vandorb12 @CatherineFlick
Brains have a lot more going on.
Is that a scientific conclusion or a desire bourne our of fear?
-
RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865
Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG
The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.
@CatherineFlick I'm almost certain I agree on why anthropomorphising LLMs does "far more of a disservice" than the act the article is referring to. That said, I'm curious if I'm right or if we have different reasons to think so. Would you be willing to elaborate?
-
I agree it's weird, but personally I don't see it as creepy.
I do think anyone who is offended by it needs to wake up and notice that usage of LLMs is causing harm to real people and that's the real problem we should be discussing.@kasperd @CatherineFlick It's creepy in that they believe this is "torture" somehow and that torture is somehow acceptable in some way.
-
RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865
Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG
The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.
@CatherineFlick This conversation has been done before. Welcome to 30 years ago in 1996: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDxFxWakhm0
-
J jwcph@helvede.net shared this topic