Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist.

Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
19 Indlæg 17 Posters 1 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • lmgenealogy@mstdn.caL lmgenealogy@mstdn.ca

    @CatherineFlick This is why I refuse to thank a chatbot, even if it's actually helpful. It helps remind me that they're machines, not people.

    jirikiha@raphus.socialJ This user is from outside of this forum
    jirikiha@raphus.socialJ This user is from outside of this forum
    jirikiha@raphus.social
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #10

    @lmgenealogy @CatherineFlick personally*, I consider politeness to be a personal attribute more than a particular action. So, I'll generally say please and thank you regardless of the status of the audience.
    Your point stands however, that LLMs are machines that emulate thoughtful responses and are not people.

    *This is a personal stance for me and not an expectation I have of anyone else.

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • andygates@mastodon.socialA andygates@mastodon.social

      @daf @CatherineFlick They've been given names since ELIZA in the 1960s. Humans always gonna anthropomorphise.

      andygates@mastodon.socialA This user is from outside of this forum
      andygates@mastodon.socialA This user is from outside of this forum
      andygates@mastodon.social
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #11

      @daf @CatherineFlick Cultural update! ELIZA was named for Eliza Doolittle, of Pygmalion (aka My Fair Lady) and classical Pygmalion falls in love with his creation. 🎵 Tale as old as time 🎵

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • catherineflick@mastodon.me.ukC catherineflick@mastodon.me.uk

        RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865

        Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG

        The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.

        bms@mastodon.bsd.cafeB This user is from outside of this forum
        bms@mastodon.bsd.cafeB This user is from outside of this forum
        bms@mastodon.bsd.cafe
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #12

        @CatherineFlick The medics have a neat word for allegations or imputations of illness (or suffering)) where it doesn't actually exist: factitious.

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • catherineflick@mastodon.me.ukC catherineflick@mastodon.me.uk

          RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865

          Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG

          The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.

          glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
          glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
          glyph@mastodon.social
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #13

          @CatherineFlick I think it's worth really talking through why it's weird and creepy. Fixating on, ideating about, and ruminating on cruelty, pain, and torture is a warning sign of dangerously distorted thoughts. If someone spent all of their time *drawing* images of torture, we would think that's creepy because it suggests, if not an active conscious interest in doing such things, at the very least a whole catalog of intrusive thoughts which require therapy to address.

          glyph@mastodon.socialG 1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

            @CatherineFlick I think it's worth really talking through why it's weird and creepy. Fixating on, ideating about, and ruminating on cruelty, pain, and torture is a warning sign of dangerously distorted thoughts. If someone spent all of their time *drawing* images of torture, we would think that's creepy because it suggests, if not an active conscious interest in doing such things, at the very least a whole catalog of intrusive thoughts which require therapy to address.

            glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
            glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
            glyph@mastodon.social
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #14

            @CatherineFlick That does not mean that we would think the drawings were alive.

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • vandorb12@infosec.exchangeV vandorb12@infosec.exchange

              @rzeta0 @CatherineFlick gets me thinking about the digital twins of nematodes that can run on Arduinos, and more recently the fruit fly being subjected to playing beat saber endlessly.

              cxberger@mastodon.boiler.socialC This user is from outside of this forum
              cxberger@mastodon.boiler.socialC This user is from outside of this forum
              cxberger@mastodon.boiler.social
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #15

              @vandorb12 @rzeta0 @CatherineFlick it feels weird to call a static map of "just" the cells and connections in the fly's brain a full brain dump. brains have a lot more going on than that

              it's still really cool science, but I don't think we've made fruit fly Cephalons yet

              rzeta0@mastodon.worldR 1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • cxberger@mastodon.boiler.socialC cxberger@mastodon.boiler.social

                @vandorb12 @rzeta0 @CatherineFlick it feels weird to call a static map of "just" the cells and connections in the fly's brain a full brain dump. brains have a lot more going on than that

                it's still really cool science, but I don't think we've made fruit fly Cephalons yet

                rzeta0@mastodon.worldR This user is from outside of this forum
                rzeta0@mastodon.worldR This user is from outside of this forum
                rzeta0@mastodon.world
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #16

                @cxberger @vandorb12 @CatherineFlick

                Brains have a lot more going on.

                Is that a scientific conclusion or a desire bourne our of fear?

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • catherineflick@mastodon.me.ukC catherineflick@mastodon.me.uk

                  RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865

                  Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG

                  The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.

                  disorderlyf@todon.euD This user is from outside of this forum
                  disorderlyf@todon.euD This user is from outside of this forum
                  disorderlyf@todon.eu
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #17

                  @CatherineFlick I'm almost certain I agree on why anthropomorphising LLMs does "far more of a disservice" than the act the article is referring to. That said, I'm curious if I'm right or if we have different reasons to think so. Would you be willing to elaborate?

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • kasperd@westergaard.socialK kasperd@westergaard.social
                    I agree it's weird, but personally I don't see it as creepy.

                    I do think anyone who is offended by it needs to wake up and notice that usage of LLMs is causing harm to real people and that's the real problem we should be discussing.
                    elizafox@social.treehouse.systemsE This user is from outside of this forum
                    elizafox@social.treehouse.systemsE This user is from outside of this forum
                    elizafox@social.treehouse.systems
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #18

                    @kasperd @CatherineFlick It's creepy in that they believe this is "torture" somehow and that torture is somehow acceptable in some way.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • catherineflick@mastodon.me.ukC catherineflick@mastodon.me.uk

                      RE: https://mastodon.social/@404mediaco/117378117850915865

                      Hello, I’m an actual technology ethicist. This is weird and creepy but LLMS ARE NOT ALIVE OMG

                      The unethical thing is to treat them as if they are! Anthropomorphising LLMs does actual living humans far more of a disservice than even this weird creepy behaviour.

                      obscurestar@mastodon.socialO This user is from outside of this forum
                      obscurestar@mastodon.socialO This user is from outside of this forum
                      obscurestar@mastodon.social
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #19

                      @CatherineFlick This conversation has been done before. Welcome to 30 years ago in 1996: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDxFxWakhm0

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • jwcph@helvede.netJ jwcph@helvede.net shared this topic
                      Svar
                      • Svar som emne
                      Login for at svare
                      • Ældste til nyeste
                      • Nyeste til ældste
                      • Most Votes


                      • Log ind

                      • Login or register to search.
                      Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                      Graciously hosted by data.coop
                      • First post
                        Last post
                      0
                      • Hjem
                      • Seneste
                      • Etiketter
                      • Populære
                      • Verden
                      • Bruger
                      • Grupper