Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan
I dont regret anything. I built something to empower people. Some of them used it wisely, some of them didnt. I also built crap that was not useful to anybody. After 25 years i still want to improve "stuff". Users changed and so did I. Time marches on.... -
@_RyekDarkener_ @dlakelan I'm 60+ and sometimes regret having installed the first webserver @ my University and in the town, and having argued for www instead of gopher. Sheesh, youngsters!
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan They're a step behind the nerds on the Gemini BBS who are already bemoaning that the Fediverse has already passed it's own Eternal September.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan yep
-
@dlakelan I’m 33!
-
@mrgrumpymonkey @dlakelan
Same. No regrets. -
@douglasvb @dlakelan
Campfires -
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan
I always thought if I could get my pictures of nekked peoples instantly instead of watching they load one line at a time the internet would be perfect.
Now I know I'm wrong. -
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
I must giggle.
In 1983 I sat in college brand new Intro to Comp class and effectively "dabbled in Pong"
I ran away as fast as I could back to the theater.Yes, 1983.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan just you wait, I'm looking to bring back LambdaMOO!!
-
-
We should have seen trouble coming when the default website background color switched from gray to white.
-
@disorderlyf @dlakelan I told a resident, where I work, that I no longer have an Amazon account, and they just rolled their eyes. Expected behavior at this point I suppose. Then there's the folks I tell that I don't use Netflix, or the likes. They ask me how I access that stuff. And I always tell them there's a way, without explicitly saying how. Always get confused looks.
@mrgrumpymonkey @dlakelan The Netflix one is maybe odd to me because I've lived in places where the internet is too slow to stream 720p content without buffering so often it's incomprehensible, and I can still find DVDs and blurays on the shelf at stores.
Amazon less so, but maybe that's because I live on an island, so there's only so much space for brick and mortar stores.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
-
@lnsy_dev @GhostOnTheHalfShell @douglasvb @dlakelan zines on disks. In the mail.
#retro #RetroComputing -
@mrgrumpymonkey @dlakelan The Netflix one is maybe odd to me because I've lived in places where the internet is too slow to stream 720p content without buffering so often it's incomprehensible, and I can still find DVDs and blurays on the shelf at stores.
Amazon less so, but maybe that's because I live on an island, so there's only so much space for brick and mortar stores.
@disorderlyf @dlakelan As long as there are libraries, media will be accessible to all. As for your living situation, I'd probably still use it, unless there are other retailers willing to ship products. Living in the US gives me access to all those brick and mortar stores. I'm trying to shop locally, as I know I'll get high quality products that way too.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan
Thank you for summarising the mood
-
@MaryAustinBooks @iakobsdesamos @dlakelan it's been a few years since I've updated my blog but I still host the whole thing back to the early days of personal websites. And you can too!
Whenever you write can become part of training data sets and you can have some fun with that.
@douglasvb @MaryAustinBooks @iakobsdesamos @dlakelan sometimes I like to replace random sour in my sentence with nonsense so that LLMs learn weird demonstrator associations between words
-
@dlakelan In hindsight, we did fall for the assumption that large centralized architectures built by benevolent dictators would work because we seemed to believe that technical competency and benevolence were hand in hand, and not a particular artifact of a particular, I'm not sure yet... Generation? Generation and geography? Dirty hippie technophiles in Silicon Valley? All of the above? None of the above? Wishful thinking?
Whatever it was, we failed to learn the lesson that history teaches about ceding territory to kings.
-
@dlakelan can we build it again?
