Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan
Well, I am 50+ and regret letting 40+ doing what they did with the WWW… -
@dlakelan It was actually the over-50s, and more likely the over-60s, who built the www.
When the www first began, the 40s were 10 years old… they were playing with Lego.
Everything that came after the first version of the web is rubbish.
(Stop throwing stones at me, you little rascals!
)@LeLutin_SurLeMur @dlakelan not me i was playing doom. (... and legos)
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
Mainly regretting that so many people deliberately decide to become part of the problem and not part of the solution.
-
@dlakelan There isn't a "big mood" style of expression big enough to express the size of the mood I'm currently experiencing from your toot.
This was all a mistake. We should go back to disconnected BBSes. Or maybe ditch all the digital stuff and return to encyclopedias.
@douglasvb @dlakelan I have been wondering whether coming down from the trees was such a great idea...
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan I have no regrets, although I'd have to say I'm a fellow-traveller more than really a builder of the WWW.
I regret the attention-stealing dynamic amplified by pressures to quickly return profit to capital investment via common stock appreciation, which, as Google found, looks cheap until it's the tail that wags the dog, and controlling the Board of Directors doesn't control the market.
And then there's Facebook. Sigh.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan I feel seen and I don't like it
-
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
Speaking of DNA, I do miss the old H2G2 site for similar reasons.
-
@dlakelan I may have placed a brick or two, but I don't think that really counts as building it.
-
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
"We started internet to provide resilient communications in the event of nuclear war.
We used the foundations it provided to build a virtual world.
We evolved into a global community.
We made it free from the constraints of geography or social status.
Unfortunately that meant the arseholes we were all trying to avoid could use it.
And they did use it.
Now it’s all fucked.
Properly fucked.
Sorry about that."
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan i'm 30 and i regret you built it


-
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan ayup
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan nailed it
-
Got any shoup?
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan Don't forget the disenheartened 20 somethings searching for a better web...
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan I'm not that old
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan hey hey watch it! I'm 38! But yes correct.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan ... and where folks will likely build the next thing. Together. 🫂
