Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
181 Indlæg 136 Posters 0 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

    Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

    grndprnzp@mastodon.bsd.cafeG This user is from outside of this forum
    grndprnzp@mastodon.bsd.cafeG This user is from outside of this forum
    grndprnzp@mastodon.bsd.cafe
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #121

    @dlakelan
    I dont regret anything. I built something to empower people. Some of them used it wisely, some of them didnt. I also built crap that was not useful to anybody. After 25 years i still want to improve "stuff". Users changed and so did I. Time marches on....

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • argonaut@bonn.socialA argonaut@bonn.social

      @_RyekDarkener_ @dlakelan I'm 60+ and sometimes regret having installed the first webserver @ my University and in the town, and having argued for www instead of gopher. Sheesh, youngsters!

      _ryekdarkener_@mastodon.social_ This user is from outside of this forum
      _ryekdarkener_@mastodon.social_ This user is from outside of this forum
      _ryekdarkener_@mastodon.social
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #122

      @argonaut @dlakelan

      Welcome in the 60+ club. Where natural intelligence thrives. 😉

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

        Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

        gerwitz@chaos.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
        gerwitz@chaos.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
        gerwitz@chaos.social
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #123

        @dlakelan They're a step behind the nerds on the Gemini BBS who are already bemoaning that the Fediverse has already passed it's own Eternal September.

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

          Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

          noirlover@mastodon.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
          noirlover@mastodon.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
          noirlover@mastodon.social
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #124

          @dlakelan yep

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • gargron@mastodon.socialG gargron@mastodon.social

            @dlakelan I’m 33!

            paulschoe@mastodon.worldP This user is from outside of this forum
            paulschoe@mastodon.worldP This user is from outside of this forum
            paulschoe@mastodon.world
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #125

            @Gargron

            Okay, we admit. There are people below 40 with vision.

            And we need those, because they have the drive to do something with the Fediverse.

            Like building tusks 😉.

            @dlakelan

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.socialM mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.social

              @sb @dlakelan Yeah, I do miss the salary, but now I have my sanity back.

              sb@metroholografix.caS This user is from outside of this forum
              sb@metroholografix.caS This user is from outside of this forum
              sb@metroholografix.ca
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #126

              @mrgrumpymonkey @dlakelan
              Same. No regrets.

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • ghostonthehalfshell@masto.aiG ghostonthehalfshell@masto.ai

                @douglasvb @dlakelan
                Campfires

                kjempeslu@climatejustice.socialK This user is from outside of this forum
                kjempeslu@climatejustice.socialK This user is from outside of this forum
                kjempeslu@climatejustice.social
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #127

                @GhostOnTheHalfShell @douglasvb @dlakelan trees

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                  Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                  dendari@mastodon.worldD This user is from outside of this forum
                  dendari@mastodon.worldD This user is from outside of this forum
                  dendari@mastodon.world
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #128

                  @dlakelan
                  I always thought if I could get my pictures of nekked peoples instantly instead of watching they load one line at a time the internet would be perfect.
                  Now I know I'm wrong.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                    Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                    joshef@mastodon.socialJ This user is from outside of this forum
                    joshef@mastodon.socialJ This user is from outside of this forum
                    joshef@mastodon.social
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #129

                    @dlakelan

                    I must giggle.

                    In 1983 I sat in college brand new Intro to Comp class and effectively "dabbled in Pong"
                    I ran away as fast as I could back to the theater.

                    Yes, 1983.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                      Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                      cyberneticist@hachyderm.ioC This user is from outside of this forum
                      cyberneticist@hachyderm.ioC This user is from outside of this forum
                      cyberneticist@hachyderm.io
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #130

                      @dlakelan just you wait, I'm looking to bring back LambdaMOO!!

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • starkrg@myside-yourside.netS starkrg@myside-yourside.net

                        @ahltorp @dlakelan Sure, but my brick was essentially a geocities page and leaving limewire open to continue uploading stuff.

                        meraord@mastodonsweden.seM This user is from outside of this forum
                        meraord@mastodonsweden.seM This user is from outside of this forum
                        meraord@mastodonsweden.se
                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                        #131

                        @StarkRG Hey, my geocities page was about feminism and had a web diary before the word "blog" even was invented! It was GROUNDBREAKING stuff!! 😉😊 @ahltorp @dlakelan

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • killick@dmv.communityK killick@dmv.community

                          @dlakelan

                          We should have seen trouble coming when the default website background color switched from gray to white.

                          meraord@mastodonsweden.seM This user is from outside of this forum
                          meraord@mastodonsweden.seM This user is from outside of this forum
                          meraord@mastodonsweden.se
                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                          #132

                          @killick @dlakelan the white *was* easier to read though.

                          pteryx@dice.campP 1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.socialM mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.social

                            @disorderlyf @dlakelan I told a resident, where I work, that I no longer have an Amazon account, and they just rolled their eyes. Expected behavior at this point I suppose. Then there's the folks I tell that I don't use Netflix, or the likes. They ask me how I access that stuff. And I always tell them there's a way, without explicitly saying how. Always get confused looks.

                            disorderlyf@todon.euD This user is from outside of this forum
                            disorderlyf@todon.euD This user is from outside of this forum
                            disorderlyf@todon.eu
                            wrote sidst redigeret af
                            #133

                            @mrgrumpymonkey @dlakelan The Netflix one is maybe odd to me because I've lived in places where the internet is too slow to stream 720p content without buffering so often it's incomprehensible, and I can still find DVDs and blurays on the shelf at stores.

                            Amazon less so, but maybe that's because I live on an island, so there's only so much space for brick and mortar stores.

                            mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.socialM 1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                              Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                              cjust@infosec.exchangeC This user is from outside of this forum
                              cjust@infosec.exchangeC This user is from outside of this forum
                              cjust@infosec.exchange
                              wrote sidst redigeret af
                              #134

                              @dlakelan

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              0
                              • lnsy_dev@mastodon.socialL lnsy_dev@mastodon.social

                                @GhostOnTheHalfShell @douglasvb @dlakelan zines

                                falken@social.falkensweb.comF This user is from outside of this forum
                                falken@social.falkensweb.comF This user is from outside of this forum
                                falken@social.falkensweb.com
                                wrote sidst redigeret af
                                #135

                                @lnsy_dev @GhostOnTheHalfShell @douglasvb @dlakelan zines on disks. In the mail.

                                #retro #RetroComputing

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • disorderlyf@todon.euD disorderlyf@todon.eu

                                  @mrgrumpymonkey @dlakelan The Netflix one is maybe odd to me because I've lived in places where the internet is too slow to stream 720p content without buffering so often it's incomprehensible, and I can still find DVDs and blurays on the shelf at stores.

                                  Amazon less so, but maybe that's because I live on an island, so there's only so much space for brick and mortar stores.

                                  mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                                  mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                                  mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.social
                                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                                  #136

                                  @disorderlyf @dlakelan As long as there are libraries, media will be accessible to all. As for your living situation, I'd probably still use it, unless there are other retailers willing to ship products. Living in the US gives me access to all those brick and mortar stores. I'm trying to shop locally, as I know I'll get high quality products that way too.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  0
                                  • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                                    Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                                    curious_carrot@mastodon.socialC This user is from outside of this forum
                                    curious_carrot@mastodon.socialC This user is from outside of this forum
                                    curious_carrot@mastodon.social
                                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                                    #137

                                    @dlakelan
                                    Thank you for summarising the mood 😄

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    0
                                    • douglasvb@m.ai6yr.orgD douglasvb@m.ai6yr.org

                                      @MaryAustinBooks @iakobsdesamos @dlakelan it's been a few years since I've updated my blog but I still host the whole thing back to the early days of personal websites. And you can too!

                                      Whenever you write can become part of training data sets and you can have some fun with that.

                                      fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
                                      fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
                                      fluffykittycat@furry.engineer
                                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                                      #138

                                      @douglasvb @MaryAustinBooks @iakobsdesamos @dlakelan sometimes I like to replace random sour in my sentence with nonsense so that LLMs learn weird demonstrator associations between words

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      0
                                      • mark@mastodon.fixermark.comM mark@mastodon.fixermark.com

                                        @dlakelan In hindsight, we did fall for the assumption that large centralized architectures built by benevolent dictators would work because we seemed to believe that technical competency and benevolence were hand in hand, and not a particular artifact of a particular, I'm not sure yet... Generation? Generation and geography? Dirty hippie technophiles in Silicon Valley? All of the above? None of the above? Wishful thinking?

                                        Whatever it was, we failed to learn the lesson that history teaches about ceding territory to kings.

                                        fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
                                        fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
                                        fluffykittycat@furry.engineer
                                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                                        #139

                                        @mark @dlakelan it worked, for a while. I gradually got more pissed off at them through the 2010's and I now refuse to sign up for a new service that doesn't love me back.

                                        Speaking of, do you know of a good general purpose #peertube instance? I want to get Set up watching stuff there

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        0
                                        • mamalake@beige.partyM mamalake@beige.party

                                          @dlakelan can we build it again?

                                          fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
                                          fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
                                          fluffykittycat@furry.engineer
                                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                                          #140

                                          @MamaLake @dlakelan it never really went away, technically. People just stopped paying attention

                                          pteryx@dice.campP 1 Reply Last reply
                                          0
                                          Svar
                                          • Svar som emne
                                          Login for at svare
                                          • Ældste til nyeste
                                          • Nyeste til ældste
                                          • Most Votes


                                          • Log ind

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                                          Graciously hosted by data.coop
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Hjem
                                          • Seneste
                                          • Etiketter
                                          • Populære
                                          • Verden
                                          • Bruger
                                          • Grupper