A reminder that card only is shit: tried (not very successfully) to help an African (not sure which country) stundent who had just arrived by train in Leiden & needed to get to the 2.5 km away dorm.
-
A reminder that card only is shit: tried (not very successfully) to help an African (not sure which country) stundent who had just arrived by train in Leiden & needed to get to the 2.5 km away dorm.
She needed to take a taxi (extra expensive in NL) because the buses need a (credit) card and she didn't have one working in Europe. And to add insult yo injury, I had to tell her she needed to walk around the station because the taxis are on the other side & she need a card to get through.

-
A reminder that card only is shit: tried (not very successfully) to help an African (not sure which country) stundent who had just arrived by train in Leiden & needed to get to the 2.5 km away dorm.
She needed to take a taxi (extra expensive in NL) because the buses need a (credit) card and she didn't have one working in Europe. And to add insult yo injury, I had to tell her she needed to walk around the station because the taxis are on the other side & she need a card to get through.

@vicgrinberg Card only is shit, I agree.
The new OV-paycard is as yet only available to buy (and load) with cash at the Primera, I think. But there's no Primera at the station, so that wouldn't have helped at that moment.
-
@vicgrinberg Card only is shit, I agree.
The new OV-paycard is as yet only available to buy (and load) with cash at the Primera, I think. But there's no Primera at the station, so that wouldn't have helped at that moment.
@Navifax good to know for the future! But yeah, it's mindboggling that there is none at the station and the ones that are in the city aren't open that early.
I really wish I could have helped the lady more, but I also needed to park my bike and get on the train, my friend is waiting in Utrecht...
-
A reminder that card only is shit: tried (not very successfully) to help an African (not sure which country) stundent who had just arrived by train in Leiden & needed to get to the 2.5 km away dorm.
She needed to take a taxi (extra expensive in NL) because the buses need a (credit) card and she didn't have one working in Europe. And to add insult yo injury, I had to tell her she needed to walk around the station because the taxis are on the other side & she need a card to get through.

@vicgrinberg Oh yeah, and then also the issue of exchange rates and point-of-charge conversion settlement fees! I’m ZAian so I had better options than other Africans often do but even so, the last time I was in Europe it had become a bit “interesting”

-
A reminder that card only is shit: tried (not very successfully) to help an African (not sure which country) stundent who had just arrived by train in Leiden & needed to get to the 2.5 km away dorm.
She needed to take a taxi (extra expensive in NL) because the buses need a (credit) card and she didn't have one working in Europe. And to add insult yo injury, I had to tell her she needed to walk around the station because the taxis are on the other side & she need a card to get through.

@vicgrinberg Oh dear, this is about credit cards for buses. The whole thing already sounds like a battle. If cash payments are no longer possible.
-
A reminder that card only is shit: tried (not very successfully) to help an African (not sure which country) stundent who had just arrived by train in Leiden & needed to get to the 2.5 km away dorm.
She needed to take a taxi (extra expensive in NL) because the buses need a (credit) card and she didn't have one working in Europe. And to add insult yo injury, I had to tell her she needed to walk around the station because the taxis are on the other side & she need a card to get through.

I'm guessing the old
strippenkaart I found in a box in my closet isn't valid anymore... 
Little known: in our city (Mississauga
) the bus driver will let you ride if you have "forgotten" your card. It is policy to let you ride, and also to drop you off between stops if you have a need. -
N niels@social.data.coop shared this topic