I went hiking and saw so many cool things
-
Some cup mushrooms of very different sizes.
#mushroomsPink ghost pipes
-
Pink ghost pipes
A Callirhytis lanata gall just in time for #GallWeek
-
A Callirhytis lanata gall just in time for #GallWeek
Pholiota squarrosoides
#mushrooms -
Pholiota squarrosoides
#mushroomsWhite coral jelly fungus ( Sebacina sparassoidea)
#mushrooms -
Pink ghost pipes
I've been searching for them on my walks. After today's rain I'm hoping they'll appear.
-
White coral jelly fungus ( Sebacina sparassoidea)
#mushroomsAnd this was really cool. We saw a ton of insects feeding off a blackened area of dead leaves on the ground. Then we looked up and saw these beech blight aphids. My son had heard of them before. He tapped the branch to see the reaction, and we saw why they're also known as boogie woogie aphids.
#Insects #BoogieWoogieAphids -
I've been searching for them on my walks. After today's rain I'm hoping they'll appear.
@Sharonbw
Good luck! Have you seen them before? Once you've spotted them a first time, they become easier to spot. -
And this was really cool. We saw a ton of insects feeding off a blackened area of dead leaves on the ground. Then we looked up and saw these beech blight aphids. My son had heard of them before. He tapped the branch to see the reaction, and we saw why they're also known as boogie woogie aphids.
#Insects #BoogieWoogieAphids@dillyd wow! So interesting! You’ve had a good day in the woods!
-
And this was really cool. We saw a ton of insects feeding off a blackened area of dead leaves on the ground. Then we looked up and saw these beech blight aphids. My son had heard of them before. He tapped the branch to see the reaction, and we saw why they're also known as boogie woogie aphids.
#Insects #BoogieWoogieAphidsIt's a fascinating ecosystem. The aphids themselves, the trees they live on, the fungus that grows on their fallen honeydew, and the vast variety of insects that feed off it. We saw ladybugs and yellowjackets and bald faced hornets and flies, all feasting together.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beech_blight_aphid
#insects #BoogieWoogieAphids -
It's a fascinating ecosystem. The aphids themselves, the trees they live on, the fungus that grows on their fallen honeydew, and the vast variety of insects that feed off it. We saw ladybugs and yellowjackets and bald faced hornets and flies, all feasting together.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beech_blight_aphid
#insects #BoogieWoogieAphids@dillyd wow!
-
@dillyd wow! So interesting! You’ve had a good day in the woods!
@IcooIey
I saw lots of things that were new to me! It was very cool. -
@Sharonbw
Good luck! Have you seen them before? Once you've spotted them a first time, they become easier to spot.Yes, we have a low spot in the woods where they tend to appear, usually closer to October. I think they are fascinating and kind of spooky at the same time.
-
It's a fascinating ecosystem. The aphids themselves, the trees they live on, the fungus that grows on their fallen honeydew, and the vast variety of insects that feed off it. We saw ladybugs and yellowjackets and bald faced hornets and flies, all feasting together.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beech_blight_aphid
#insects #BoogieWoogieAphids@dillyd Okay so those aphids are like something out of a Studio Ghibli animation.

-
I went hiking and saw so many cool things!
Check out these slime molds.
#SlimeMold@dillyd ooh!
-
Yes, we have a low spot in the woods where they tend to appear, usually closer to October. I think they are fascinating and kind of spooky at the same time.
@Sharonbw absolutely. Post photos when you see them!
-
@Sharonbw absolutely. Post photos when you see them!
I will!
-
It's a fascinating ecosystem. The aphids themselves, the trees they live on, the fungus that grows on their fallen honeydew, and the vast variety of insects that feed off it. We saw ladybugs and yellowjackets and bald faced hornets and flies, all feasting together.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beech_blight_aphid
#insects #BoogieWoogieAphids@dillyd I’ve been told that the caterpillars of the Harvester butterflies like to eat these. (The Harvester is the unusual butterfly that’s entirely carnivorous.)
This seems to check out, because the only time I ever saw a Harvester was the same year I saw the Boogie Woogie Aphids, both in the same wetland.
-
And this was really cool. We saw a ton of insects feeding off a blackened area of dead leaves on the ground. Then we looked up and saw these beech blight aphids. My son had heard of them before. He tapped the branch to see the reaction, and we saw why they're also known as boogie woogie aphids.
#Insects #BoogieWoogieAphids@dillyd wow!
-
I went hiking and saw so many cool things!
Check out these slime molds.
#SlimeMold@dillyd 🩷
🧡 -
Pink ghost pipes
@dillyd so cute