I went hiking and saw so many cool things
-
@dillyd I’ve been told that the caterpillars of the Harvester butterflies like to eat these. (The Harvester is the unusual butterfly that’s entirely carnivorous.)
This seems to check out, because the only time I ever saw a Harvester was the same year I saw the Boogie Woogie Aphids, both in the same wetland.
@ClimateJenny very interesting. We also saw a parasitoid wasp flying around them, but didn't get any photos.
-
@dillyd Okay so those aphids are like something out of a Studio Ghibli animation.

@ColesStreetPothole right?! Soot sprites definitely crossed my mind. Their angelic white feathered cousins hanging out above ground.
-
It's a fascinating ecosystem. The aphids themselves, the trees they live on, the fungus that grows on their fallen honeydew, and the vast variety of insects that feed off it. We saw ladybugs and yellowjackets and bald faced hornets and flies, all feasting together.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beech_blight_aphid
#insects #BoogieWoogieAphids@dillyd love to watch bugs munch
-
I went hiking and saw so many cool things!
Check out these slime molds.
#SlimeMold@dillyd this has got big Scavengers Reign vibes.
-
Some cup mushrooms of very different sizes.
#mushrooms@dillyd tricksy cup mushrooms! Thought I got some nice slime molds and got home to find tiny cups.
-
And this was really cool. We saw a ton of insects feeding off a blackened area of dead leaves on the ground. Then we looked up and saw these beech blight aphids. My son had heard of them before. He tapped the branch to see the reaction, and we saw why they're also known as boogie woogie aphids.
#Insects #BoogieWoogieAphids@dillyd what in the world??
-
I went hiking and saw so many cool things!
Check out these slime molds.
#SlimeMoldWonderful photos, but do be careful. Some fungus is dangerous to touch.
-
I went hiking and saw so many cool things!
Check out these slime molds.
#SlimeMold@dillyd what an incredible fun stimulating time you must have had!
-
@dillyd tricksy cup mushrooms! Thought I got some nice slime molds and got home to find tiny cups.
@jerzone
All those tiny colorful dots look the same! -
@dillyd what an incredible fun stimulating time you must have had!
@dotomnivorous
It's always good, but this time was particularly full of cool stuff
-
And this was really cool. We saw a ton of insects feeding off a blackened area of dead leaves on the ground. Then we looked up and saw these beech blight aphids. My son had heard of them before. He tapped the branch to see the reaction, and we saw why they're also known as boogie woogie aphids.
#Insects #BoogieWoogieAphids@dillyd Whoa! Get down lil aphids. What a fun and interesting find. Thanks for sharing!
-
I went hiking and saw so many cool things!
Check out these slime molds.
#SlimeMold@dillyd freaky and cool
-
And this was really cool. We saw a ton of insects feeding off a blackened area of dead leaves on the ground. Then we looked up and saw these beech blight aphids. My son had heard of them before. He tapped the branch to see the reaction, and we saw why they're also known as boogie woogie aphids.
#Insects #BoogieWoogieAphids@dillyd You find the coolest stuff, and I’ve learned a lot from you, too. Thank you!

-
P pelle@veganism.social shared this topic