More laser experiments today, this time involving varying the laser power using a depth map.
-
More laser experiments today, this time involving varying the laser power using a depth map. Big thanks to @trashpanda for finding this tool that can convert an STL into a depth map (either SVG or PNG): https://kbralten.github.io/STL_PNG_Depth/index.html
The black acrylic worked the best I think. Will be fun to test more deep engraving when I get some more (which should be tomorrow). Also need to figure out how to stop discolouration on the wood, especially on the deeper one.
-
More laser experiments today, this time involving varying the laser power using a depth map. Big thanks to @trashpanda for finding this tool that can convert an STL into a depth map (either SVG or PNG): https://kbralten.github.io/STL_PNG_Depth/index.html
The black acrylic worked the best I think. Will be fun to test more deep engraving when I get some more (which should be tomorrow). Also need to figure out how to stop discolouration on the wood, especially on the deeper one.
@koz The frog it's absolutely amazing.
-
@koz The frog it's absolutely amazing.
@trashpanda I love how this acrylic lasers.
-
@trashpanda I love how this acrylic lasers.
@koz @trashpanda Yeah, it looks amazing! Meanwhile, I can't get our Epilog laser at work to run at all right now...


-
@koz @trashpanda Yeah, it looks amazing! Meanwhile, I can't get our Epilog laser at work to run at all right now...


@jwcph @trashpanda Oof. Aren't those like, really expensive?
-
@jwcph @trashpanda Oof. Aren't those like, really expensive?
@koz @trashpanda Very - something like €40K, according to my boss

-
@koz @trashpanda Very - something like €40K, according to my boss

@jwcph @trashpanda Yikes. Something that expensive should come with a support contract.
-
@koz @trashpanda Very - something like €40K, according to my boss

-
@trashpanda @koz Yup. But not as much as the StrataSys J-35 resin 3D printer we also have but never use because it's also wildly expensive to run
so if anyone wants to buy a slightly used industrial-grade 3D printer... -
@jwcph @trashpanda Yikes. Something that expensive should come with a support contract.
@koz @trashpanda This kind of machine is usually highly proprietary, which of course makes the vendor a gatekeeper, which means service & support is also expensive, because there's nowhere else to go & without it your expensive machine is a brick...
Most likely a support visit from this type of company runs 500-100€ before work even starts. I've seen this even with a running service contract in the 1000s / month.
Chokepoint capitalism, baby.