Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. I find the arguments around self-hosting all your stuff kind of odd.

I find the arguments around self-hosting all your stuff kind of odd.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
10 Indlæg 5 Posters 0 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF This user is from outside of this forum
    foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF This user is from outside of this forum
    foritus@toot.dusepo.co.uk
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #1

    I find the arguments around self-hosting all your stuff kind of odd. I self host my stuff because I'm a giant nerd and so the cognitive and financial marginal cost to myself is tiny (in fact negative for some things as I enjoy it!).

    But I'd never tell someone who isn't a carpenter "hey you should make your own chairs".

    Maybe "don't buy them from IKEA". But not "learn an entire craft and dedicate your limited resources to that".

    If you wanna escape the megacorps, we have a solution for that, it's called "society" and getting help from people you know and trust.

    mmeier@social.mei-home.netM gb@hi.gbryant.co.ukG reynir@social.data.coopR 3 Replies Last reply
    0
    • foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF foritus@toot.dusepo.co.uk

      I find the arguments around self-hosting all your stuff kind of odd. I self host my stuff because I'm a giant nerd and so the cognitive and financial marginal cost to myself is tiny (in fact negative for some things as I enjoy it!).

      But I'd never tell someone who isn't a carpenter "hey you should make your own chairs".

      Maybe "don't buy them from IKEA". But not "learn an entire craft and dedicate your limited resources to that".

      If you wanna escape the megacorps, we have a solution for that, it's called "society" and getting help from people you know and trust.

      mmeier@social.mei-home.netM This user is from outside of this forum
      mmeier@social.mei-home.netM This user is from outside of this forum
      mmeier@social.mei-home.net
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #2

      @Foritus Yes, all of this. And precisely for that reason. While my initial reason for self-hosting was indeed getting away from big tech all those many years ago, it's now mostly my hobby. And so the time I dump into it doesn't come under the cleaning/cooking/washing/... "chores" heading, but the hobby/fun heading in my mind. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to remotely justify the time I spend on it.

      mmeier@social.mei-home.netM 1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • mmeier@social.mei-home.netM mmeier@social.mei-home.net

        @Foritus Yes, all of this. And precisely for that reason. While my initial reason for self-hosting was indeed getting away from big tech all those many years ago, it's now mostly my hobby. And so the time I dump into it doesn't come under the cleaning/cooking/washing/... "chores" heading, but the hobby/fun heading in my mind. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to remotely justify the time I spend on it.

        mmeier@social.mei-home.netM This user is from outside of this forum
        mmeier@social.mei-home.netM This user is from outside of this forum
        mmeier@social.mei-home.net
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #3

        @Foritus And I've been thinking about that second part, about asking somebody you trust for help as well. Something like getting a few people together, and then offering some basics like backup space, perhaps a nextcloud for shared calenders and cloud space? Perhaps stuff like mealy for cooking, or a Forgejo for the nerdier people? I *think* I would have fun providing this for a small group of people. But sadly, my closest social circle are either nerds as well, or not interested at all.

        1/2

        mmeier@social.mei-home.netM 1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • mmeier@social.mei-home.netM mmeier@social.mei-home.net

          @Foritus And I've been thinking about that second part, about asking somebody you trust for help as well. Something like getting a few people together, and then offering some basics like backup space, perhaps a nextcloud for shared calenders and cloud space? Perhaps stuff like mealy for cooking, or a Forgejo for the nerdier people? I *think* I would have fun providing this for a small group of people. But sadly, my closest social circle are either nerds as well, or not interested at all.

          1/2

          mmeier@social.mei-home.netM This user is from outside of this forum
          mmeier@social.mei-home.netM This user is from outside of this forum
          mmeier@social.mei-home.net
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #4

          @Foritus And two core issues which have kept me from just getting going:

          1) My Homelab is in the rack next to my desk. It's hanging of a 250/40 Mbps consumer connection. Good enough for me because I mostly access it via the local network, but probably not exactly great for other people

          2) Admin availability. I've got a full time job. How quickly would only getting support in the evenings/weekends get annoying to people?

          2/2

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF foritus@toot.dusepo.co.uk

            I find the arguments around self-hosting all your stuff kind of odd. I self host my stuff because I'm a giant nerd and so the cognitive and financial marginal cost to myself is tiny (in fact negative for some things as I enjoy it!).

            But I'd never tell someone who isn't a carpenter "hey you should make your own chairs".

            Maybe "don't buy them from IKEA". But not "learn an entire craft and dedicate your limited resources to that".

            If you wanna escape the megacorps, we have a solution for that, it's called "society" and getting help from people you know and trust.

            gb@hi.gbryant.co.ukG This user is from outside of this forum
            gb@hi.gbryant.co.ukG This user is from outside of this forum
            gb@hi.gbryant.co.uk
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #5

            @Foritus Do you host anything for friends/family/community? I love the idea of doing it but don't really want (or have the skills) to be responsible for people's data

            foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF 1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • gb@hi.gbryant.co.ukG gb@hi.gbryant.co.uk

              @Foritus Do you host anything for friends/family/community? I love the idea of doing it but don't really want (or have the skills) to be responsible for people's data

              foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF This user is from outside of this forum
              foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF This user is from outside of this forum
              foritus@toot.dusepo.co.uk
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #6

              @gb Email for a few people, Plex/Jellyfin for people I trust. I am thinking of setting up an Immich photos instance for friends who wanna escape Google photos.

              I'd like to set up an encrypted rclone backups tool for friends to upload their stuff onto my storage arrays (using keys only they have, so to me it's just a bunch of bytes).

              hypha@cafe.mycelium.locahlo.stH 1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF foritus@toot.dusepo.co.uk

                @gb Email for a few people, Plex/Jellyfin for people I trust. I am thinking of setting up an Immich photos instance for friends who wanna escape Google photos.

                I'd like to set up an encrypted rclone backups tool for friends to upload their stuff onto my storage arrays (using keys only they have, so to me it's just a bunch of bytes).

                hypha@cafe.mycelium.locahlo.stH This user is from outside of this forum
                hypha@cafe.mycelium.locahlo.stH This user is from outside of this forum
                hypha@cafe.mycelium.locahlo.st
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #7

                @Foritus @gb i might need a space for backups

                foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF 1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • hypha@cafe.mycelium.locahlo.stH hypha@cafe.mycelium.locahlo.st

                  @Foritus @gb i might need a space for backups

                  foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF This user is from outside of this forum
                  foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF This user is from outside of this forum
                  foritus@toot.dusepo.co.uk
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #8

                  @hypha @gb I always have space for you ❤️

                  hypha@cafe.mycelium.locahlo.stH 1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF foritus@toot.dusepo.co.uk

                    @hypha @gb I always have space for you ❤️

                    hypha@cafe.mycelium.locahlo.stH This user is from outside of this forum
                    hypha@cafe.mycelium.locahlo.stH This user is from outside of this forum
                    hypha@cafe.mycelium.locahlo.st
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #9

                    @Foritus @gb !!!

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • foritus@toot.dusepo.co.ukF foritus@toot.dusepo.co.uk

                      I find the arguments around self-hosting all your stuff kind of odd. I self host my stuff because I'm a giant nerd and so the cognitive and financial marginal cost to myself is tiny (in fact negative for some things as I enjoy it!).

                      But I'd never tell someone who isn't a carpenter "hey you should make your own chairs".

                      Maybe "don't buy them from IKEA". But not "learn an entire craft and dedicate your limited resources to that".

                      If you wanna escape the megacorps, we have a solution for that, it's called "society" and getting help from people you know and trust.

                      reynir@social.data.coopR This user is from outside of this forum
                      reynir@social.data.coopR This user is from outside of this forum
                      reynir@social.data.coop
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #10

                      @Foritus that's basically the idea behind data.coop - banding together to self-host these things making it accessible to more people

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      Svar
                      • Svar som emne
                      Login for at svare
                      • Ældste til nyeste
                      • Nyeste til ældste
                      • Most Votes


                      • Log ind

                      • Login or register to search.
                      Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                      Graciously hosted by data.coop
                      • First post
                        Last post
                      0
                      • Hjem
                      • Seneste
                      • Etiketter
                      • Populære
                      • Verden
                      • Bruger
                      • Grupper