I find the arguments around self-hosting all your stuff kind of odd.
-
I find the arguments around self-hosting all your stuff kind of odd. I self host my stuff because I'm a giant nerd and so the cognitive and financial marginal cost to myself is tiny (in fact negative for some things as I enjoy it!).
But I'd never tell someone who isn't a carpenter "hey you should make your own chairs".
Maybe "don't buy them from IKEA". But not "learn an entire craft and dedicate your limited resources to that".
If you wanna escape the megacorps, we have a solution for that, it's called "society" and getting help from people you know and trust.
-
I find the arguments around self-hosting all your stuff kind of odd. I self host my stuff because I'm a giant nerd and so the cognitive and financial marginal cost to myself is tiny (in fact negative for some things as I enjoy it!).
But I'd never tell someone who isn't a carpenter "hey you should make your own chairs".
Maybe "don't buy them from IKEA". But not "learn an entire craft and dedicate your limited resources to that".
If you wanna escape the megacorps, we have a solution for that, it's called "society" and getting help from people you know and trust.
@Foritus Yes, all of this. And precisely for that reason. While my initial reason for self-hosting was indeed getting away from big tech all those many years ago, it's now mostly my hobby. And so the time I dump into it doesn't come under the cleaning/cooking/washing/... "chores" heading, but the hobby/fun heading in my mind. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to remotely justify the time I spend on it.
-
@Foritus Yes, all of this. And precisely for that reason. While my initial reason for self-hosting was indeed getting away from big tech all those many years ago, it's now mostly my hobby. And so the time I dump into it doesn't come under the cleaning/cooking/washing/... "chores" heading, but the hobby/fun heading in my mind. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to remotely justify the time I spend on it.
@Foritus And I've been thinking about that second part, about asking somebody you trust for help as well. Something like getting a few people together, and then offering some basics like backup space, perhaps a nextcloud for shared calenders and cloud space? Perhaps stuff like mealy for cooking, or a Forgejo for the nerdier people? I *think* I would have fun providing this for a small group of people. But sadly, my closest social circle are either nerds as well, or not interested at all.
1/2
-
@Foritus And I've been thinking about that second part, about asking somebody you trust for help as well. Something like getting a few people together, and then offering some basics like backup space, perhaps a nextcloud for shared calenders and cloud space? Perhaps stuff like mealy for cooking, or a Forgejo for the nerdier people? I *think* I would have fun providing this for a small group of people. But sadly, my closest social circle are either nerds as well, or not interested at all.
1/2
@Foritus And two core issues which have kept me from just getting going:
1) My Homelab is in the rack next to my desk. It's hanging of a 250/40 Mbps consumer connection. Good enough for me because I mostly access it via the local network, but probably not exactly great for other people
2) Admin availability. I've got a full time job. How quickly would only getting support in the evenings/weekends get annoying to people?
2/2
-
I find the arguments around self-hosting all your stuff kind of odd. I self host my stuff because I'm a giant nerd and so the cognitive and financial marginal cost to myself is tiny (in fact negative for some things as I enjoy it!).
But I'd never tell someone who isn't a carpenter "hey you should make your own chairs".
Maybe "don't buy them from IKEA". But not "learn an entire craft and dedicate your limited resources to that".
If you wanna escape the megacorps, we have a solution for that, it's called "society" and getting help from people you know and trust.
@Foritus Do you host anything for friends/family/community? I love the idea of doing it but don't really want (or have the skills) to be responsible for people's data
-
@Foritus Do you host anything for friends/family/community? I love the idea of doing it but don't really want (or have the skills) to be responsible for people's data
@gb Email for a few people, Plex/Jellyfin for people I trust. I am thinking of setting up an Immich photos instance for friends who wanna escape Google photos.
I'd like to set up an encrypted rclone backups tool for friends to upload their stuff onto my storage arrays (using keys only they have, so to me it's just a bunch of bytes).
-
@gb Email for a few people, Plex/Jellyfin for people I trust. I am thinking of setting up an Immich photos instance for friends who wanna escape Google photos.
I'd like to set up an encrypted rclone backups tool for friends to upload their stuff onto my storage arrays (using keys only they have, so to me it's just a bunch of bytes).
-
-
-
I find the arguments around self-hosting all your stuff kind of odd. I self host my stuff because I'm a giant nerd and so the cognitive and financial marginal cost to myself is tiny (in fact negative for some things as I enjoy it!).
But I'd never tell someone who isn't a carpenter "hey you should make your own chairs".
Maybe "don't buy them from IKEA". But not "learn an entire craft and dedicate your limited resources to that".
If you wanna escape the megacorps, we have a solution for that, it's called "society" and getting help from people you know and trust.
@Foritus that's basically the idea behind data.coop - banding together to self-host these things making it accessible to more people

️