The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software.
-
There are levels to advertising. The most basic is a person who wants you to buy their thing. The ad simply tells you what the thing is and asks you to buy it.
The next level are ads that generate a BRAND they give the brand an image and mystique. These start to work on your emotions.
The next level manipulates your emotions, ads that make you feel FOMO, or ugly, or raw lust, they try to circumvent the mind and generate irrational desire.
There are so many ads now that are preying on just raw unadulterated greed (this falls in your FOMO category) and it just saddens me.
On the one hand, greed is such a base emotion and the love of money is the root of all evil…but on the other there are a lot of desperate people out there who need a way out and will take what they (are told they) can get.
-
live at one of the two "old style" ball parks (wrigley and fenway) and sitting in the bleacher section is also something everyone should get to experience at least once.
i find baseball on TV much like golf. it all looks the same after 10 minutes. but the crowds and experience at a small ball park is totally different.
i do have some memories of small transistor radios and games but my dad wasn't a huge sports fan.
i do have fond memories of summers on roof/deck in NYC with the transistor radio playing music when i was a young kid.
I don't know if it is "old style" but the one in Pittsburgh is pretty great with a nice view of the city and a fun crowd walking across the bridge downtown after the game
-
The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software. And the ads from the shady local lawyers in NYC who try to make up raps about how they will help you if you have been injured in a car accident.
agreed. local deranged advertising is a national treasure. not real, but it sums up the bad production values and insane messaging:
-
I don't know if it is "old style" but the one in Pittsburgh is pretty great with a nice view of the city and a fun crowd walking across the bridge downtown after the game
@gbargoud @paul_ipv6 @futurebird Can confirm
-
I don't know if it is "old style" but the one in Pittsburgh is pretty great with a nice view of the city and a fun crowd walking across the bridge downtown after the game
more modern, but that isn't all bad. SF giants park is a decent compromise for a "newer" style park too.
-
@futurebird I'm fascinated when someone who works for a targeted ad platform enthusiastically insists that people want to see ads related to their interests. In the few states that ban roadside billboards, these would be people demanding to see multiple large signs about what's ahead. (Spoiler: They don't. Banning billboards has proved wildly popular in Vermont every time it's polled.)
I especially like the ones that say “Your ad Here”, advertising billboards.
I have yet to see anyone stopping to capture the accompanying phone number; perhaps they just memorise it.

-
@gbargoud @paul_ipv6 @futurebird Can confirm
Yeah I don't know what that yellow bridge is called but the crowd on it after a game has some very lively energy, especially if the game went well for the Pirates
-
Yeah I don't know what that yellow bridge is called but the crowd on it after a game has some very lively energy, especially if the game went well for the Pirates
i like the trend to pedestrian walkways. nyc high line was a brilliant addition to the city. would love to see more of this.
-
i like the trend to pedestrian walkways. nyc high line was a brilliant addition to the city. would love to see more of this.
I think they just pedestrianize it after the games (at least that was the impression I got when I was there 12-15 years ago)
-
I think they just pedestrianize it after the games (at least that was the impression I got when I was there 12-15 years ago)
@gbargoud @paul_ipv6 @futurebird It was the sixth street bridge from downtown (the golden triangle) to the north side. Starting from the Point and running along the north side of town you have the Duquesne, the sixth (now permanently closed as a pedestrian bridge and the one prominent in the picture), the 7th now the Andy Warhol bridge, and the 9th now the Rachel Carson Bridge.
It used to be closed for games, now it’s permanently closed to traffic, just a walking bridge.
-
The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software. And the ads from the shady local lawyers in NYC who try to make up raps about how they will help you if you have been injured in a car accident.
@futurebird my favorite is "Call 233 PAIN, Shoulda stayed in your lane."
-
The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software. And the ads from the shady local lawyers in NYC who try to make up raps about how they will help you if you have been injured in a car accident.
@futurebird I'm rather partial to the absolutely unhinged mobile game ads that were big a few years ago. They might still be big... I just don't use those platforms anymore. And scans of magazine ads for minicomputers from 50 years ago. And those horrible little novelty ads from comic books from 50 years ago. Actually, just any ads from 50 years ago. If your company is no longer in business and hasn't been for decades and maybe you're dead by now, I wanna see your ads!
-
The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software. And the ads from the shady local lawyers in NYC who try to make up raps about how they will help you if you have been injured in a car accident.
@futurebird (Really seconding the attorney ones, tho... I saw one the other day from a big local attorney office that said "Better call Paul!" I wonder if he's seen the show, because... that's bold!)
-
The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software. And the ads from the shady local lawyers in NYC who try to make up raps about how they will help you if you have been injured in a car accident.
@futurebird Also the chain of Surplus Herbie's stores in my area that ran TV ads with a talking mouth superimposed on a mannequin face. Its catchphrase was "I'm not your average dummy". It's only nightmare fuel the first few times.
-
@futurebird I'm fascinated when someone who works for a targeted ad platform enthusiastically insists that people want to see ads related to their interests. In the few states that ban roadside billboards, these would be people demanding to see multiple large signs about what's ahead. (Spoiler: They don't. Banning billboards has proved wildly popular in Vermont every time it's polled.)
@clayfoot @futurebird the weirdest person I ever met was a guy who insisted that the company he worked at had this amazing idea that would help so many people and transform society and whatnot. They were working on putting ads into automated company emails.
-
You need to listen to baseball games on the radio (yes the old time radio with a tuner and the knob and everything)
Listening to a Yankees game on the radio on the roof when I can hear the sound of the bat and crowd from the stadium nearby is the most lovely way to experience a game IMO.
And you get to hear all of the goofy local radio ads.
@gbargoud @futurebird I recently discovered the local radio ads from the paint store - they are so educational!
-
There are levels to advertising. The most basic is a person who wants you to buy their thing. The ad simply tells you what the thing is and asks you to buy it.
The next level are ads that generate a BRAND they give the brand an image and mystique. These start to work on your emotions.
The next level manipulates your emotions, ads that make you feel FOMO, or ugly, or raw lust, they try to circumvent the mind and generate irrational desire.
@futurebird once upon a time I was waiting in a market checkout with a friend and she saw a Snickers bar and vocalized "mmm...satisfying" and purchased it before her frontal lobe caught up. I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or cry
-
@futurebird once upon a time I was waiting in a market checkout with a friend and she saw a Snickers bar and vocalized "mmm...satisfying" and purchased it before her frontal lobe caught up. I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or cry
This is funny but it annoys me that many many people, maybe most people, don't really think that ads can do this to them.
"I just ignore the ads"
"I am less likely to buy the product if I see an ad"etc. etc. I want to think it's true too, but the data do not agree. And often we don't even know when the advertising is occurring.
-
This is funny but it annoys me that many many people, maybe most people, don't really think that ads can do this to them.
"I just ignore the ads"
"I am less likely to buy the product if I see an ad"etc. etc. I want to think it's true too, but the data do not agree. And often we don't even know when the advertising is occurring.
I had a friend of my mom say that "she'd blocked all ads" on her laptop. This was NOT true even a little. And since she used facebook there were these inline posts, promoted political topics, and... ads... that she just didn't even know were ads.
It turned out she meant that she didn't see pop-ups and banner ads often. She had some kind of blocker installed but it wasn't doing much.
