Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software.

The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
49 Indlæg 32 Posters 3 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • xibanya@mastodon.xyzX xibanya@mastodon.xyz

    @futurebird and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc

    benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
    benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
    benroyce@mastodon.social
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #31

    @Xibanya @futurebird 😂

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • clayfoot@mastodon.socialC clayfoot@mastodon.social

      @futurebird I'm fascinated when someone who works for a targeted ad platform enthusiastically insists that people want to see ads related to their interests. In the few states that ban roadside billboards, these would be people demanding to see multiple large signs about what's ahead. (Spoiler: They don't. Banning billboards has proved wildly popular in Vermont every time it's polled.)

      ericlawton@kolektiva.socialE This user is from outside of this forum
      ericlawton@kolektiva.socialE This user is from outside of this forum
      ericlawton@kolektiva.social
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #32

      @clayfoot

      I especially like the ones that say “Your ad Here”, advertising billboards.

      I have yet to see anyone stopping to capture the accompanying phone number; perhaps they just memorise it. 😀

      @futurebird

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • josh@hactivedirectory.comJ josh@hactivedirectory.com

        @gbargoud @paul_ipv6 @futurebird Can confirm

        gbargoud@masto.nycG This user is from outside of this forum
        gbargoud@masto.nycG This user is from outside of this forum
        gbargoud@masto.nyc
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #33

        @josh @paul_ipv6 @futurebird

        Yeah I don't know what that yellow bridge is called but the crowd on it after a game has some very lively energy, especially if the game went well for the Pirates

        paul_ipv6@infosec.exchangeP 1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • gbargoud@masto.nycG gbargoud@masto.nyc

          @josh @paul_ipv6 @futurebird

          Yeah I don't know what that yellow bridge is called but the crowd on it after a game has some very lively energy, especially if the game went well for the Pirates

          paul_ipv6@infosec.exchangeP This user is from outside of this forum
          paul_ipv6@infosec.exchangeP This user is from outside of this forum
          paul_ipv6@infosec.exchange
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #34

          @gbargoud @josh @futurebird

          i like the trend to pedestrian walkways. nyc high line was a brilliant addition to the city. would love to see more of this.

          gbargoud@masto.nycG 1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • paul_ipv6@infosec.exchangeP paul_ipv6@infosec.exchange

            @gbargoud @josh @futurebird

            i like the trend to pedestrian walkways. nyc high line was a brilliant addition to the city. would love to see more of this.

            gbargoud@masto.nycG This user is from outside of this forum
            gbargoud@masto.nycG This user is from outside of this forum
            gbargoud@masto.nyc
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #35

            @paul_ipv6 @josh @futurebird

            I think they just pedestrianize it after the games (at least that was the impression I got when I was there 12-15 years ago)

            josh@hactivedirectory.comJ 1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • gbargoud@masto.nycG gbargoud@masto.nyc

              @paul_ipv6 @josh @futurebird

              I think they just pedestrianize it after the games (at least that was the impression I got when I was there 12-15 years ago)

              josh@hactivedirectory.comJ This user is from outside of this forum
              josh@hactivedirectory.comJ This user is from outside of this forum
              josh@hactivedirectory.com
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #36

              @gbargoud @paul_ipv6 @futurebird It was the sixth street bridge from downtown (the golden triangle) to the north side. Starting from the Point and running along the north side of town you have the Duquesne, the sixth (now permanently closed as a pedestrian bridge and the one prominent in the picture), the 7th now the Andy Warhol bridge, and the 9th now the Rachel Carson Bridge.

              It used to be closed for games, now it’s permanently closed to traffic, just a walking bridge.

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • futurebird@sauropods.winF futurebird@sauropods.win

                The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software. And the ads from the shady local lawyers in NYC who try to make up raps about how they will help you if you have been injured in a car accident.

                kimlockhartga@beige.partyK This user is from outside of this forum
                kimlockhartga@beige.partyK This user is from outside of this forum
                kimlockhartga@beige.party
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #37

                @futurebird my favorite is "Call 233 PAIN, Shoulda stayed in your lane."

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • futurebird@sauropods.winF futurebird@sauropods.win

                  The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software. And the ads from the shady local lawyers in NYC who try to make up raps about how they will help you if you have been injured in a car accident.

                  indigoparadox@mastodon.socialI This user is from outside of this forum
                  indigoparadox@mastodon.socialI This user is from outside of this forum
                  indigoparadox@mastodon.social
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #38

                  @futurebird I'm rather partial to the absolutely unhinged mobile game ads that were big a few years ago. They might still be big... I just don't use those platforms anymore. And scans of magazine ads for minicomputers from 50 years ago. And those horrible little novelty ads from comic books from 50 years ago. Actually, just any ads from 50 years ago. If your company is no longer in business and hasn't been for decades and maybe you're dead by now, I wanna see your ads!

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • futurebird@sauropods.winF futurebird@sauropods.win

                    The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software. And the ads from the shady local lawyers in NYC who try to make up raps about how they will help you if you have been injured in a car accident.

                    indigoparadox@mastodon.socialI This user is from outside of this forum
                    indigoparadox@mastodon.socialI This user is from outside of this forum
                    indigoparadox@mastodon.social
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #39

                    @futurebird (Really seconding the attorney ones, tho... I saw one the other day from a big local attorney office that said "Better call Paul!" I wonder if he's seen the show, because... that's bold!)

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • futurebird@sauropods.winF futurebird@sauropods.win

                      The only ads I want to see are the posters my kids make telling me to come see their musical, posts on here about how someone wrote a book, made a clay pot or designed some software. And the ads from the shady local lawyers in NYC who try to make up raps about how they will help you if you have been injured in a car accident.

                      canuckduff@mas.toC This user is from outside of this forum
                      canuckduff@mas.toC This user is from outside of this forum
                      canuckduff@mas.to
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #40

                      @futurebird Also the chain of Surplus Herbie's stores in my area that ran TV ads with a talking mouth superimposed on a mannequin face. Its catchphrase was "I'm not your average dummy". It's only nightmare fuel the first few times.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • clayfoot@mastodon.socialC clayfoot@mastodon.social

                        @futurebird I'm fascinated when someone who works for a targeted ad platform enthusiastically insists that people want to see ads related to their interests. In the few states that ban roadside billboards, these would be people demanding to see multiple large signs about what's ahead. (Spoiler: They don't. Banning billboards has proved wildly popular in Vermont every time it's polled.)

                        gullikerl@troet.cafeG This user is from outside of this forum
                        gullikerl@troet.cafeG This user is from outside of this forum
                        gullikerl@troet.cafe
                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                        #41

                        @clayfoot @futurebird the weirdest person I ever met was a guy who insisted that the company he worked at had this amazing idea that would help so many people and transform society and whatnot. They were working on putting ads into automated company emails.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • futurebird@sauropods.winF futurebird@sauropods.win

                          @gbargoud

                          You need to listen to baseball games on the radio (yes the old time radio with a tuner and the knob and everything)

                          Listening to a Yankees game on the radio on the roof when I can hear the sound of the bat and crowd from the stadium nearby is the most lovely way to experience a game IMO.

                          And you get to hear all of the goofy local radio ads.

                          psistarpsiii@tacobelllabs.netP This user is from outside of this forum
                          psistarpsiii@tacobelllabs.netP This user is from outside of this forum
                          psistarpsiii@tacobelllabs.net
                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                          #42

                          @gbargoud @futurebird I recently discovered the local radio ads from the paint store - they are so educational!

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • futurebird@sauropods.winF futurebird@sauropods.win

                            There are levels to advertising. The most basic is a person who wants you to buy their thing. The ad simply tells you what the thing is and asks you to buy it.

                            The next level are ads that generate a BRAND they give the brand an image and mystique. These start to work on your emotions.

                            The next level manipulates your emotions, ads that make you feel FOMO, or ugly, or raw lust, they try to circumvent the mind and generate irrational desire.

                            notoriousiptg@fediscience.orgN This user is from outside of this forum
                            notoriousiptg@fediscience.orgN This user is from outside of this forum
                            notoriousiptg@fediscience.org
                            wrote sidst redigeret af
                            #43

                            @futurebird once upon a time I was waiting in a market checkout with a friend and she saw a Snickers bar and vocalized "mmm...satisfying" and purchased it before her frontal lobe caught up. I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or cry

                            futurebird@sauropods.winF 1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • notoriousiptg@fediscience.orgN notoriousiptg@fediscience.org

                              @futurebird once upon a time I was waiting in a market checkout with a friend and she saw a Snickers bar and vocalized "mmm...satisfying" and purchased it before her frontal lobe caught up. I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or cry

                              futurebird@sauropods.winF This user is from outside of this forum
                              futurebird@sauropods.winF This user is from outside of this forum
                              futurebird@sauropods.win
                              wrote sidst redigeret af
                              #44

                              @notoriousiptg

                              This is funny but it annoys me that many many people, maybe most people, don't really think that ads can do this to them.

                              "I just ignore the ads"
                              "I am less likely to buy the product if I see an ad"

                              etc. etc. I want to think it's true too, but the data do not agree. And often we don't even know when the advertising is occurring.

                              futurebird@sauropods.winF mainec@fromm.socialM 2 Replies Last reply
                              0
                              • futurebird@sauropods.winF futurebird@sauropods.win

                                @notoriousiptg

                                This is funny but it annoys me that many many people, maybe most people, don't really think that ads can do this to them.

                                "I just ignore the ads"
                                "I am less likely to buy the product if I see an ad"

                                etc. etc. I want to think it's true too, but the data do not agree. And often we don't even know when the advertising is occurring.

                                futurebird@sauropods.winF This user is from outside of this forum
                                futurebird@sauropods.winF This user is from outside of this forum
                                futurebird@sauropods.win
                                wrote sidst redigeret af
                                #45

                                @notoriousiptg

                                I had a friend of my mom say that "she'd blocked all ads" on her laptop. This was NOT true even a little. And since she used facebook there were these inline posts, promoted political topics, and... ads... that she just didn't even know were ads.

                                It turned out she meant that she didn't see pop-ups and banner ads often. She had some kind of blocker installed but it wasn't doing much.

                                draken@masto.nycD leeglidewell@mas.toL geonz@mathstodon.xyzG 3 Replies Last reply
                                1
                                0
                                • futurebird@sauropods.winF futurebird@sauropods.win

                                  @notoriousiptg

                                  I had a friend of my mom say that "she'd blocked all ads" on her laptop. This was NOT true even a little. And since she used facebook there were these inline posts, promoted political topics, and... ads... that she just didn't even know were ads.

                                  It turned out she meant that she didn't see pop-ups and banner ads often. She had some kind of blocker installed but it wasn't doing much.

                                  draken@masto.nycD This user is from outside of this forum
                                  draken@masto.nycD This user is from outside of this forum
                                  draken@masto.nyc
                                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                                  #46

                                  @futurebird @notoriousiptg
                                  How to really block ads on Facebook using an adblocker:
                                  1) Use uBlock Origin
                                  2) Add everything by Meta to your block rules

                                  Problem solved 😉

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  0
                                  • futurebird@sauropods.winF futurebird@sauropods.win

                                    @notoriousiptg

                                    I had a friend of my mom say that "she'd blocked all ads" on her laptop. This was NOT true even a little. And since she used facebook there were these inline posts, promoted political topics, and... ads... that she just didn't even know were ads.

                                    It turned out she meant that she didn't see pop-ups and banner ads often. She had some kind of blocker installed but it wasn't doing much.

                                    leeglidewell@mas.toL This user is from outside of this forum
                                    leeglidewell@mas.toL This user is from outside of this forum
                                    leeglidewell@mas.to
                                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                                    #47

                                    @futurebird @notoriousiptg I have a PiHole running on a home server blocking ads at the DNS level. Still doesn't get everything. Advertising is ubiquitous and can at best be reduced to less of an annoyance

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    0
                                    • futurebird@sauropods.winF futurebird@sauropods.win

                                      @notoriousiptg

                                      This is funny but it annoys me that many many people, maybe most people, don't really think that ads can do this to them.

                                      "I just ignore the ads"
                                      "I am less likely to buy the product if I see an ad"

                                      etc. etc. I want to think it's true too, but the data do not agree. And often we don't even know when the advertising is occurring.

                                      mainec@fromm.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                                      mainec@fromm.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                                      mainec@fromm.social
                                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                                      #48

                                      @futurebird @notoriousiptg I fully agree. It took me flying to a different continent and standing in a supermarket there looking for cheese to truly grasp the impact of ads: It took mental effort to draw my attention away from familiar but way overpriced packages and search for the reasonably priced local but unfamiliar looking stuff.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      0
                                      • futurebird@sauropods.winF futurebird@sauropods.win

                                        @notoriousiptg

                                        I had a friend of my mom say that "she'd blocked all ads" on her laptop. This was NOT true even a little. And since she used facebook there were these inline posts, promoted political topics, and... ads... that she just didn't even know were ads.

                                        It turned out she meant that she didn't see pop-ups and banner ads often. She had some kind of blocker installed but it wasn't doing much.

                                        geonz@mathstodon.xyzG This user is from outside of this forum
                                        geonz@mathstodon.xyzG This user is from outside of this forum
                                        geonz@mathstodon.xyz
                                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                                        #49

                                        @futurebird @notoriousiptg
                                        Yes, it's really, really easy not to realize "ad" "promoted" mean that heart rending story is ... constructed and sent to manipulate you. The long AI ones that end in a product make it a little easier ....

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        0
                                        • jwcph@helvede.netJ jwcph@helvede.net shared this topic
                                        Svar
                                        • Svar som emne
                                        Login for at svare
                                        • Ældste til nyeste
                                        • Nyeste til ældste
                                        • Most Votes


                                        • Log ind

                                        • Login or register to search.
                                        Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                                        Graciously hosted by data.coop
                                        • First post
                                          Last post
                                        0
                                        • Hjem
                                        • Seneste
                                        • Etiketter
                                        • Populære
                                        • Verden
                                        • Bruger
                                        • Grupper