Why does 69° never appear on Apple’s Weather app.
-
@wendinoakland @FeloniousPunk @kibcol1049
Wouldn't Kelvin be a better idea?
(just spitballing)@henriksundstrom @FeloniousPunk @kibcol1049 lol, absolute zero is kinda extreme.
-
@henriksundstrom @FeloniousPunk @kibcol1049 lol, absolute zero is kinda extreme.
@wendinoakland @henriksundstrom @kibcol1049 I dunno, that’s pretty cool.

-
@wendinoakland @henriksundstrom @kibcol1049 I dunno, that’s pretty cool.

@FeloniousPunk @henriksundstrom @kibcol1049 I adored my early science education and remember zero degrees Kelvin as an almost unachievable point of coldness… (looks online) omg, -273* Celsius! That is less than zero.
-
@FeloniousPunk @henriksundstrom @kibcol1049 I adored my early science education and remember zero degrees Kelvin as an almost unachievable point of coldness… (looks online) omg, -273* Celsius! That is less than zero.
@wendinoakland @FeloniousPunk @henriksundstrom @kibcol1049 thats when a Yorkshire man would say - you better take your big coat, it's a bit fresh out
-
@woo @FaithinBones @peteorrall @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 But that are just other numbers for the same thing.
@lankohr @FaithinBones @peteorrall @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 But the numbers are 273.15 and 373.15 and I just had to look that up. We could identify musical notes by their frequencies in Hz. but we choose the (slightly) more convenient letters A - G for 7/12ths of them.
-
@wendinoakland @FeloniousPunk @henriksundstrom @kibcol1049 thats when a Yorkshire man would say - you better take your big coat, it's a bit fresh out
@woollypigs @FeloniousPunk @henriksundstrom @kibcol1049 might wear a scarf weather
-
@Fasgadh Fahrenheit is a centigrade scale for weather in temperate zones.
@Virginicus
But what about the rest of the Universe. Outwith numbers around 60 it's incomprehensible and needs an awkward conversion. Negative numbers are really annoying. Other than the blessed -40.If it just stayed in US weather forecasts in Summer it would be fine, but things like melting points of metals (other than Hg) etc it is a bloody nuisance
-
@Fasgadh @kibcol1049 it's what over 300 million people grew up with
@FaithinBones @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 Me too. But I managed to grow out of it, along with many other people in this part of the world.
-
@lankohr @FaithinBones @peteorrall @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 But the numbers are 273.15 and 373.15 and I just had to look that up. We could identify musical notes by their frequencies in Hz. but we choose the (slightly) more convenient letters A - G for 7/12ths of them.
As the musician in the thread, I found that reference amusing. Using note letters instead of frequencies are multiple giant rabbit holes especially when alternate tuning methods are taken into account.
Also, as a sound designer, often I am using ratios and frequencies. The letters just happen to be which keys my fingers press.

-
@FaithinBones @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 The US "tried" to move to the metric system decades ago. But only a few things stuck. Instead of returning fully to the imperial system, we are stuck somewhere in the middle.
I was taught both and use both regularly but prefer the metric system.
@peteorrall @FaithinBones @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 I do like having my car tools in MM than inch or foot. I also like measuring physical distances by using whatever is on hand. Like part of my fence is 8 sons long. I also like to weigh things by using "fat fucks(they're Italian.)"
-
As the musician in the thread, I found that reference amusing. Using note letters instead of frequencies are multiple giant rabbit holes especially when alternate tuning methods are taken into account.
Also, as a sound designer, often I am using ratios and frequencies. The letters just happen to be which keys my fingers press.

@peteorrall @lankohr @FaithinBones @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 I was laughing at myself. The musical monks had some odd ideas. I've been learning some music theory recently and I abandoned 'the letters' because I found Musical Set Theory made more sense to me :-).
-
@lankohr @peteorrall @FaithinBones @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 It was a deliberately bad example, for LOLs. I have far from 'perfect pitch', so all musical notes are relative to me.
-
@Fasgadh @kibcol1049 it's what over 300 million people grew up with
@FaithinBones @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 I grew up with Guineas (21/-), and 16 Ounces to a Pound but 14 Pounds to a Stone and 112 to a Hundredweight, so that's clearly never been a sensible excuse for staying Wrong.
[Corrected from 114 to 112. What an idiot! So 8 Stones per Hundredweight, like 8 pints per Gallon or 4 Quarts. For consistency.]
-
@kibcol1049 Why do we have any number in °F?
Except -40
Apart from it being a recent thing in the UK, the USA still uses F.
They also still use pounds and ounces. and pints and gallons. But be careful with USA recipes because their pounds and pints, and even their spoons and cup measures, are smaller than the imperial measures that were used in the UK.
You can still buy cup and spoon measuring kits in the UK but they are the UK sizes not USA.
-
Apart from it being a recent thing in the UK, the USA still uses F.
They also still use pounds and ounces. and pints and gallons. But be careful with USA recipes because their pounds and pints, and even their spoons and cup measures, are smaller than the imperial measures that were used in the UK.
You can still buy cup and spoon measuring kits in the UK but they are the UK sizes not USA.
I don't get spoons or cups - how big are the spoons or cups?
-
I don't get spoons or cups - how big are the spoons or cups?
Our tablespoons and teaspoons in the UK used to be a standard size so those were used in measuring for baking.
They stopped being a standard some years ago as companies saved money by shrinking them. So now you have to pay for measuring spoons.Most cups used for baking/cooking were also a similar size. So a recipe might want 2 cups of flour or 2 tablespoons of spice.
Most USA baking recipes are still using cups and spoon measures instead of weight, but the smaller sizes not UK/imperial.
-
Our tablespoons and teaspoons in the UK used to be a standard size so those were used in measuring for baking.
They stopped being a standard some years ago as companies saved money by shrinking them. So now you have to pay for measuring spoons.Most cups used for baking/cooking were also a similar size. So a recipe might want 2 cups of flour or 2 tablespoons of spice.
Most USA baking recipes are still using cups and spoon measures instead of weight, but the smaller sizes not UK/imperial.
-
I don't get spoons or cups - how big are the spoons or cups?
-
@FaithinBones @peteorrall @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 I don't know why I learned Fahrenheit. To me it seems absolutely absurd that a measurement unit by a european guy is only used in america.
@lankohr @FaithinBones @peteorrall @Fasgadh @kibcol1049
I can think of no measurement standards which arose in the USA. Must be one.Judge each by utility. Standards matter in any system. Ease to use and teach do too.
-
Apart from it being a recent thing in the UK, the USA still uses F.
They also still use pounds and ounces. and pints and gallons. But be careful with USA recipes because their pounds and pints, and even their spoons and cup measures, are smaller than the imperial measures that were used in the UK.
You can still buy cup and spoon measuring kits in the UK but they are the UK sizes not USA.
@tiggy @Fasgadh @kibcol1049
I learned Fahrenheit living in the US. Had dual F & C outdoor thermometers 60 years. Learned that they meet at -40 about 70 years ago, skiing in Vermont Christmas - New Years. Painfully cold.
