Why does 69° never appear on Apple’s Weather app.
-
@FaithinBones @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 The US "tried" to move to the metric system decades ago. But only a few things stuck. Instead of returning fully to the imperial system, we are stuck somewhere in the middle.
I was taught both and use both regularly but prefer the metric system.
@peteorrall @FaithinBones @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 I do like having my car tools in MM than inch or foot. I also like measuring physical distances by using whatever is on hand. Like part of my fence is 8 sons long. I also like to weigh things by using "fat fucks(they're Italian.)"
-
As the musician in the thread, I found that reference amusing. Using note letters instead of frequencies are multiple giant rabbit holes especially when alternate tuning methods are taken into account.
Also, as a sound designer, often I am using ratios and frequencies. The letters just happen to be which keys my fingers press.

@peteorrall @lankohr @FaithinBones @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 I was laughing at myself. The musical monks had some odd ideas. I've been learning some music theory recently and I abandoned 'the letters' because I found Musical Set Theory made more sense to me :-).
-
@lankohr @peteorrall @FaithinBones @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 It was a deliberately bad example, for LOLs. I have far from 'perfect pitch', so all musical notes are relative to me.
-
@Fasgadh @kibcol1049 it's what over 300 million people grew up with
@FaithinBones @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 I grew up with Guineas (21/-), and 16 Ounces to a Pound but 14 Pounds to a Stone and 112 to a Hundredweight, so that's clearly never been a sensible excuse for staying Wrong.
[Corrected from 114 to 112. What an idiot! So 8 Stones per Hundredweight, like 8 pints per Gallon or 4 Quarts. For consistency.]
-
@kibcol1049 Why do we have any number in °F?
Except -40
Apart from it being a recent thing in the UK, the USA still uses F.
They also still use pounds and ounces. and pints and gallons. But be careful with USA recipes because their pounds and pints, and even their spoons and cup measures, are smaller than the imperial measures that were used in the UK.
You can still buy cup and spoon measuring kits in the UK but they are the UK sizes not USA.
-
Apart from it being a recent thing in the UK, the USA still uses F.
They also still use pounds and ounces. and pints and gallons. But be careful with USA recipes because their pounds and pints, and even their spoons and cup measures, are smaller than the imperial measures that were used in the UK.
You can still buy cup and spoon measuring kits in the UK but they are the UK sizes not USA.
I don't get spoons or cups - how big are the spoons or cups?
-
I don't get spoons or cups - how big are the spoons or cups?
Our tablespoons and teaspoons in the UK used to be a standard size so those were used in measuring for baking.
They stopped being a standard some years ago as companies saved money by shrinking them. So now you have to pay for measuring spoons.Most cups used for baking/cooking were also a similar size. So a recipe might want 2 cups of flour or 2 tablespoons of spice.
Most USA baking recipes are still using cups and spoon measures instead of weight, but the smaller sizes not UK/imperial.
-
Our tablespoons and teaspoons in the UK used to be a standard size so those were used in measuring for baking.
They stopped being a standard some years ago as companies saved money by shrinking them. So now you have to pay for measuring spoons.Most cups used for baking/cooking were also a similar size. So a recipe might want 2 cups of flour or 2 tablespoons of spice.
Most USA baking recipes are still using cups and spoon measures instead of weight, but the smaller sizes not UK/imperial.
-
I don't get spoons or cups - how big are the spoons or cups?
-
@FaithinBones @peteorrall @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 I don't know why I learned Fahrenheit. To me it seems absolutely absurd that a measurement unit by a european guy is only used in america.
@lankohr @FaithinBones @peteorrall @Fasgadh @kibcol1049
I can think of no measurement standards which arose in the USA. Must be one.Judge each by utility. Standards matter in any system. Ease to use and teach do too.
-
Apart from it being a recent thing in the UK, the USA still uses F.
They also still use pounds and ounces. and pints and gallons. But be careful with USA recipes because their pounds and pints, and even their spoons and cup measures, are smaller than the imperial measures that were used in the UK.
You can still buy cup and spoon measuring kits in the UK but they are the UK sizes not USA.
@tiggy @Fasgadh @kibcol1049
I learned Fahrenheit living in the US. Had dual F & C outdoor thermometers 60 years. Learned that they meet at -40 about 70 years ago, skiing in Vermont Christmas - New Years. Painfully cold. -
I don't get spoons or cups - how big are the spoons or cups?
Using cups or spoons as measurements allows you to get the correct proportions of various ingredients. You might not have a set of scales but you're sure to have something vaguely cup or spoon like

-
Using cups or spoons as measurements allows you to get the correct proportions of various ingredients. You might not have a set of scales but you're sure to have something vaguely cup or spoon like

@PhilthyPierre @Fasgadh @tiggy @kibcol1049
Can I substitute mugs and ladles?
-
@lankohr @FaithinBones @peteorrall @Fasgadh @kibcol1049
I can think of no measurement standards which arose in the USA. Must be one.Judge each by utility. Standards matter in any system. Ease to use and teach do too.
@lauxmyth @lankohr @FaithinBones @peteorrall @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 The standard inch of 25.4mm arose due to Ford wanting interchangable parts and various people in his factory using different measures, bringing in Carl Edvard Johansson to sort it out, a major innovator in early 20th century metrology - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Edvard_Johansson
-
@PhilthyPierre @Fasgadh @tiggy @kibcol1049
Can I substitute mugs and ladles?
@uc @Fasgadh @tiggy @kibcol1049
Absolutely not. Try using those abominations and all your cakes will come out flat and your gravy will smell of Castrol R!
back in reality, I'll have a check of some old american recipe books to see if they have a standard number of spoonfuls that make a cup. If so, then you can work out the differing ratios.
-
@lauxmyth @lankohr @FaithinBones @peteorrall @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 The standard inch of 25.4mm arose due to Ford wanting interchangable parts and various people in his factory using different measures, bringing in Carl Edvard Johansson to sort it out, a major innovator in early 20th century metrology - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Edvard_Johansson
@PeteKirkham Standards matter. @lauxmyth @lankohr @FaithinBones @peteorrall @Fasgadh @kibcol1049
-
Apart from it being a recent thing in the UK, the USA still uses F.
They also still use pounds and ounces. and pints and gallons. But be careful with USA recipes because their pounds and pints, and even their spoons and cup measures, are smaller than the imperial measures that were used in the UK.
You can still buy cup and spoon measuring kits in the UK but they are the UK sizes not USA.
@tiggy @Fasgadh @kibcol1049 In Sweden we also use "matsked" (msk) meaning dinner size spoon, and "tesked" (tsk): tea spoon and "kryddmått" (krm) spice unit. But usually the measuring kit has the volumes printed (in milliliters).
And both deciliters and centiliters pops up now and then. -
@uc @Fasgadh @tiggy @kibcol1049
Absolutely not. Try using those abominations and all your cakes will come out flat and your gravy will smell of Castrol R!
back in reality, I'll have a check of some old american recipe books to see if they have a standard number of spoonfuls that make a cup. If so, then you can work out the differing ratios.
@PhilthyPierre @uc @Fasgadh @tiggy @kibcol1049 metrics is sooooo much better.
-
@PhilthyPierre @uc @Fasgadh @tiggy @kibcol1049 metrics is sooooo much better.
-
@uc @Fasgadh @tiggy @kibcol1049
Absolutely not. Try using those abominations and all your cakes will come out flat and your gravy will smell of Castrol R!
back in reality, I'll have a check of some old american recipe books to see if they have a standard number of spoonfuls that make a cup. If so, then you can work out the differing ratios.
@PhilthyPierre @uc @Fasgadh @kibcol1049
American pound cake/ Victoria* sponge in England
Was called that because the recipe is 4 ounces of butter, sugar, flour with two eggs. The average weight of two eggs is 4 ounces. Total 16 equals a pound.
And you can use the eggs as a counterweight to weigh the other three.
*Renamed after Queen Victoria

