Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*.
-
@dashdsrdash @MisuseCase @ArneBab @tante And even if we artificially draw a distinction between innate instincts and individually learned patterns, there is the possibility of "intuitive" software which relies upon instinctively known patterns.
I mean, we COULD do that, but why? No actual human users think only instinctive knowledge separate from individually learned knowledge.
@isaackuo there is software that is easy to understand and efficient to use.
Usually because it uses similar patterns of interaction throughout the software, gives perceptible hints for next actions, and enables combining learnt patterns.
That’s what UX designers do, and it makes a huge difference. For the command line, it’s API design, a part of language design.
Look at game design for possible paths to take.
-
@dashdsrdash @MisuseCase @ArneBab @tante And even if we artificially draw a distinction between innate instincts and individually learned patterns, there is the possibility of "intuitive" software which relies upon instinctively known patterns.
I mean, we COULD do that, but why? No actual human users think only instinctive knowledge separate from individually learned knowledge.
... and as we are in space where language means things, using imprecise language like describing software as intuitive or instinctual is bad; we're not marketers here.
Uses CUA: good.
Obeys Apple Human Interface Guidelines (pick a version that wasn't completely broken: good.
"Extensively tested and revised by actual UX experts with many different users of varying experience": extremely good. And rare.
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante Stable behaviour is also useful for people learning a tool. A tutorial that still matches the interface a year later saves a kind of work that rarely appears in a feature announcement. Maintenance can preserve that value without asking everyone to relearn the same task.
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante Case in point; XClock. I've been having a ton of fun customizing my cwm setup on OpenBSD with the added challenge of keeping non-base software to an absolute minimum. A recent problem I had to solve was having a convenient clock on my desktop.
With, admittedly, a lot of fiddling I have something that works great and feels like mine. More importantly it makes you reckon with what software can really give you and how much complexity and "features" you really need.
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante yeah I agree... But I just had a great idea on what to add and oh fuck this is never going to be done
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante As someone forced to use Jira, GitHub, Slack, and VS Code for work, I wish more companies would get this memo. These are all products that were feature-complete over a decade ago, yet get continually "upgraded" to be noisier, sloppier, less stable, and hungrier for my precious RAM

-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante arch users: no nO NO
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante
My prayer:
Pleez allow this software product [fill in the blank] to be done. It meets all my needs and I am now sufficiently familiar with its workings that I can do the things I need to do with it, and not at all interested in doing the things that I'm not interested in doing, and I can tell the difference. -
... and as we are in space where language means things, using imprecise language like describing software as intuitive or instinctual is bad; we're not marketers here.
Uses CUA: good.
Obeys Apple Human Interface Guidelines (pick a version that wasn't completely broken: good.
"Extensively tested and revised by actual UX experts with many different users of varying experience": extremely good. And rare.
@dashdsrdash @MisuseCase @ArneBab @tante I guess I just disagree about whether or not the word "intuition" or "intuitive" is imprecise language.
I think they are well defined. The fact that intuition is shaped by learned things is just ... part of our reality.
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante
YES, I'd like to have some `cp`, `ls` and `cat`, but re-written in vibe-coded Rust, please.They played us for absolute fools.
-
@tante
YES, I'd like to have some `cp`, `ls` and `cat`, but re-written in vibe-coded Rust, please.They played us for absolute fools.
@oraculix I mean many of the rust rewrites are also about stripping restrictive licenses. Taking GPLed code and rewriting/generating it as BSD licensed
-
@oraculix I mean many of the rust rewrites are also about stripping restrictive licenses. Taking GPLed code and rewriting/generating it as BSD licensed
@tante Fair point. I still don't have BSD licensing much on my radar, so all these recent rewrites seemed a little odd to me.
-
THANK YOU!Drupal should have stopped at 7… maybe 9 and then forked to whatever it is now. they're two completely different products and i’ve resented it ever since. Backdrop (the fork from D7-8) is great, but it doesn't get the money and support Drupal gets.
Exactly my thoughts on Drupal. Thank you.
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante I mean makes sense. Some things just do one thing and do it well.
With the way tech is massively changing I would say you have to battle adding features and doing Maintenance anyway since if the project doesn't run well the features have no point. Calling it done and focusing solely on maintenance makes the decision easier.
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante it was actually pretty cool when software was primarily distributed on, well, hardware
plus it was fun to flip through my book of CDs. like oh I haven't used starry night pro in a while, let's spend a couple hours exploring the galaxy
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante i think this should become normalized. -
@oraculix I mean many of the rust rewrites are also about stripping restrictive licenses. Taking GPLed code and rewriting/generating it as BSD licensed
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante Totally, though I think you need to take care about what you model with your software. If you model the world, it will change and you'll have to keep us.
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
true. it still functions as expected. No patches needed.
-
Open Source hot take: A software project is allowed to be *done*. Not everything needs to add features or rewrite things. You can just be happy with functionality and focus on just maintainance. "Maintenance mode" is not always bad but can just show a mature product.
@tante@tldr.nettime.org Linux games seem to understand this very well. A few months ago I installed Extreme Tux Racer, a game I fondly remember playing in my childhood like 15 years ago. It is exactly the same still, either hasn't been updated or only just enough to keep it working. Either way it is lovely :3