It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of blue trains, it was the age of green trains.
-
Live report from the railroad-bridge-replacement-bus-replacement-bicycle:
Yes, #bahn indeed just leaves the fricking #Friesenbrücke in non-accessibility mode overnight (with, and I'm not kidding, up-to-date opening times on an obscure Instagram page).
No 14 km impromptu hike this week. I got my bike and more-so I had already made the choice to take the western route from Leer.
-
@Pepijn In Low German (Plattdüütsch) 'Motacilla alba' is also called 'Wippsteert' (spelling may vary). There's even a folk band with this name.
https://www.wippsteert-band.de/ -
Huh. Surprising lack of Schengen violations here at the German - Dutch border. They should try that approach to busses and trains.
Also a surprising lack of a bike lane on the Dutch side of the border

-
@Pepijn In Low German (Plattdüütsch) 'Motacilla alba' is also called 'Wippsteert' (spelling may vary). There's even a folk band with this name.
https://www.wippsteert-band.de/ -
@Pepijn not to mention to signmakers around the world. That font and.. well, everything.. my eyes!
-
Huh. Surprising lack of Schengen violations here at the German - Dutch border. They should try that approach to busses and trains.
Also a surprising lack of a bike lane on the Dutch side of the border

Ok. Wtf fietspad / bikelane is this.
I get the concrete path but what mystical CROW guideline required installation of a one square meter super well finished block of red concrete.
-
Ok. Wtf fietspad / bikelane is this.
I get the concrete path but what mystical CROW guideline required installation of a one square meter super well finished block of red concrete.
@Pepijn er ligt er nog een naast met een paal erin?
-
@Pepijn er ligt er nog een naast met een paal erin?
@venite daarnaast is alleen een paal (3x dacht ik). Waarschijnlijk om de berm te beschermen. Dit ding ligt niet in de lijn van de palen.
-
Ok. Wtf fietspad / bikelane is this.
I get the concrete path but what mystical CROW guideline required installation of a one square meter super well finished block of red concrete.
@Pepijn I'm curious! Perhaps the maintenance of the sign must be done from a firm plateau?
-
@venite daarnaast is alleen een paal (3x dacht ik). Waarschijnlijk om de berm te beschermen. Dit ding ligt niet in de lijn van de palen.
-
Ok. Wtf fietspad / bikelane is this.
I get the concrete path but what mystical CROW guideline required installation of a one square meter super well finished block of red concrete.
No offence meant to the inhabitants of the Netherlands but o m g is your landscape boring. It's the skies that save it.
-
Ok. Wtf fietspad / bikelane is this.
I get the concrete path but what mystical CROW guideline required installation of a one square meter super well finished block of red concrete.
@Pepijn uitkijkpost voor als de Duitsers binnenvallen?
-
Ok. Wtf fietspad / bikelane is this.
I get the concrete path but what mystical CROW guideline required installation of a one square meter super well finished block of red concrete.
Ooo, fun mystery!
My first guess, based on the size/shape of the opening, is accessing a pump for the canal. But I do not, personally, know of an appropriate cement for such an application without lift points in the plug.
The lid is likely required to meet a set of security requirements to prevent tampering, thus must be quite difficult to remove in an apparently remote location.
-
@venite daarnaast is alleen een paal (3x dacht ik). Waarschijnlijk om de berm te beschermen. Dit ding ligt niet in de lijn van de palen.
-
Ok. Wtf fietspad / bikelane is this.
I get the concrete path but what mystical CROW guideline required installation of a one square meter super well finished block of red concrete.
Now this is #infrastructure. By the people, for the people.
Beautiful.
-
Ok. Wtf fietspad / bikelane is this.
I get the concrete path but what mystical CROW guideline required installation of a one square meter super well finished block of red concrete.
@Pepijn probably a cover for something to do with that drain/ditch in the background?
-
Now this is #infrastructure. By the people, for the people.
Beautiful.
@Pepijn #olifantenpaadjes are the best!
They even have a website...
http://www.olifantenpaadjes.nl/ -
Ok. Wtf fietspad / bikelane is this.
I get the concrete path but what mystical CROW guideline required installation of a one square meter super well finished block of red concrete.
It's 'fiets PAD', Pepijn.
It's a pad. Sheesh. -
@Pepijn #olifantenpaadjes are the best!
They even have a website...
http://www.olifantenpaadjes.nl/ -
No offence meant to the inhabitants of the Netherlands but o m g is your landscape boring. It's the skies that save it.
Is why Dutch masters painted landscapes that were 2/3 sky