Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. Linux people, I need help.

Linux people, I need help.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
tuxedooslinuxdesktopenvironmgnomekde
8 Indlæg 2 Posters 0 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • dlsl@mastodon.onlineD This user is from outside of this forum
    dlsl@mastodon.onlineD This user is from outside of this forum
    dlsl@mastodon.online
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #1

    Linux people, I need help.

    When I install a distro that ships with KDE but I want GNOME but I can't uninstall KDE, how do I make sure KDE apps are not visible in GNOME menu during GNOME session? Is this even possible without some shakyhacky solution?

    TuxedoOS is cool and even more so now that they are moving from Ubuntu base to Debian base but I just prefer GNOME (but they ship with KDE).

    #tuxedoos #linux #desktopenvironment #gnome #kde

    dlsl@mastodon.onlineD anderslund@expressional.socialA 2 Replies Last reply
    0
    • dlsl@mastodon.onlineD dlsl@mastodon.online

      Linux people, I need help.

      When I install a distro that ships with KDE but I want GNOME but I can't uninstall KDE, how do I make sure KDE apps are not visible in GNOME menu during GNOME session? Is this even possible without some shakyhacky solution?

      TuxedoOS is cool and even more so now that they are moving from Ubuntu base to Debian base but I just prefer GNOME (but they ship with KDE).

      #tuxedoos #linux #desktopenvironment #gnome #kde

      dlsl@mastodon.onlineD This user is from outside of this forum
      dlsl@mastodon.onlineD This user is from outside of this forum
      dlsl@mastodon.online
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #2

      Yes I know I can just install another distro and install Tuxedo's Command Center for the benefits, but I'm trying to figure it out so I can help someone else out with this who has the same problem, but less patience to fiddle with computers (who is otherwise happy with Linux finally!)

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • dlsl@mastodon.onlineD dlsl@mastodon.online

        Linux people, I need help.

        When I install a distro that ships with KDE but I want GNOME but I can't uninstall KDE, how do I make sure KDE apps are not visible in GNOME menu during GNOME session? Is this even possible without some shakyhacky solution?

        TuxedoOS is cool and even more so now that they are moving from Ubuntu base to Debian base but I just prefer GNOME (but they ship with KDE).

        #tuxedoos #linux #desktopenvironment #gnome #kde

        anderslund@expressional.socialA This user is from outside of this forum
        anderslund@expressional.socialA This user is from outside of this forum
        anderslund@expressional.social
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #3

        @dlsl In KDE there is the menu editor, which allows to only show apps when in kde sessions. Maybe there is something similar in gnome?

        What it does is adding
        `OnlyShowIn=KDE` to the applications .desktop fil, in the case of KDE that is normally /usr/share/applications/<appname>.desktop

        Maybe a similar line, just with 'gnome' would do the job? (not sure about casing for 'gnome' though)

        anderslund@expressional.socialA dlsl@mastodon.onlineD 2 Replies Last reply
        0
        • anderslund@expressional.socialA anderslund@expressional.social

          @dlsl In KDE there is the menu editor, which allows to only show apps when in kde sessions. Maybe there is something similar in gnome?

          What it does is adding
          `OnlyShowIn=KDE` to the applications .desktop fil, in the case of KDE that is normally /usr/share/applications/<appname>.desktop

          Maybe a similar line, just with 'gnome' would do the job? (not sure about casing for 'gnome' though)

          anderslund@expressional.socialA This user is from outside of this forum
          anderslund@expressional.socialA This user is from outside of this forum
          anderslund@expressional.social
          wrote sidst redigeret af anderslund@expressional.social
          #4

          @dlsl Now I'm at it, I believe you can override the system .desktop file by placing a copy in ~/.local/share/applications. That is probably what the menu editor does.

          dlsl@mastodon.onlineD 1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • anderslund@expressional.socialA anderslund@expressional.social

            @dlsl In KDE there is the menu editor, which allows to only show apps when in kde sessions. Maybe there is something similar in gnome?

            What it does is adding
            `OnlyShowIn=KDE` to the applications .desktop fil, in the case of KDE that is normally /usr/share/applications/<appname>.desktop

            Maybe a similar line, just with 'gnome' would do the job? (not sure about casing for 'gnome' though)

            dlsl@mastodon.onlineD This user is from outside of this forum
            dlsl@mastodon.onlineD This user is from outside of this forum
            dlsl@mastodon.online
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #5

            @anderslund This looks promising! I quickly took a look and didn't find a gnome extension or menu setting for this but if I can log into KDE and set all the KDE apps to only show in KDE it should be enough.

            Thank you so much! I'll give this a try.

            anderslund@expressional.socialA 1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • anderslund@expressional.socialA anderslund@expressional.social

              @dlsl Now I'm at it, I believe you can override the system .desktop file by placing a copy in ~/.local/share/applications. That is probably what the menu editor does.

              dlsl@mastodon.onlineD This user is from outside of this forum
              dlsl@mastodon.onlineD This user is from outside of this forum
              dlsl@mastodon.online
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #6

              @anderslund ah that makes sense, wouldn't it otherwise get overwritten when the apps update?

              anderslund@expressional.socialA 1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • dlsl@mastodon.onlineD dlsl@mastodon.online

                @anderslund This looks promising! I quickly took a look and didn't find a gnome extension or menu setting for this but if I can log into KDE and set all the KDE apps to only show in KDE it should be enough.

                Thank you so much! I'll give this a try.

                anderslund@expressional.socialA This user is from outside of this forum
                anderslund@expressional.socialA This user is from outside of this forum
                anderslund@expressional.social
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #7

                @dlsl You can look in the systemsettings.desktop for how it looks. It is probably easier to edit the files in nano than fighting with the gui menu editor 🙂

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • dlsl@mastodon.onlineD dlsl@mastodon.online

                  @anderslund ah that makes sense, wouldn't it otherwise get overwritten when the apps update?

                  anderslund@expressional.socialA This user is from outside of this forum
                  anderslund@expressional.socialA This user is from outside of this forum
                  anderslund@expressional.social
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #8

                  @dlsl Exactly 🙂

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  Svar
                  • Svar som emne
                  Login for at svare
                  • Ældste til nyeste
                  • Nyeste til ældste
                  • Most Votes


                  • Log ind

                  • Login or register to search.
                  Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                  Graciously hosted by data.coop
                  • First post
                    Last post
                  0
                  • Hjem
                  • Seneste
                  • Etiketter
                  • Populære
                  • Verden
                  • Bruger
                  • Grupper