Linux people, I need help.
-
Linux people, I need help.
When I install a distro that ships with KDE but I want GNOME but I can't uninstall KDE, how do I make sure KDE apps are not visible in GNOME menu during GNOME session? Is this even possible without some shakyhacky solution?
TuxedoOS is cool and even more so now that they are moving from Ubuntu base to Debian base but I just prefer GNOME (but they ship with KDE).
-
Linux people, I need help.
When I install a distro that ships with KDE but I want GNOME but I can't uninstall KDE, how do I make sure KDE apps are not visible in GNOME menu during GNOME session? Is this even possible without some shakyhacky solution?
TuxedoOS is cool and even more so now that they are moving from Ubuntu base to Debian base but I just prefer GNOME (but they ship with KDE).
Yes I know I can just install another distro and install Tuxedo's Command Center for the benefits, but I'm trying to figure it out so I can help someone else out with this who has the same problem, but less patience to fiddle with computers (who is otherwise happy with Linux finally!)
-
Linux people, I need help.
When I install a distro that ships with KDE but I want GNOME but I can't uninstall KDE, how do I make sure KDE apps are not visible in GNOME menu during GNOME session? Is this even possible without some shakyhacky solution?
TuxedoOS is cool and even more so now that they are moving from Ubuntu base to Debian base but I just prefer GNOME (but they ship with KDE).
@dlsl In KDE there is the menu editor, which allows to only show apps when in kde sessions. Maybe there is something similar in gnome?
What it does is adding
`OnlyShowIn=KDE` to the applications .desktop fil, in the case of KDE that is normally /usr/share/applications/<appname>.desktopMaybe a similar line, just with 'gnome' would do the job? (not sure about casing for 'gnome' though)
-
@dlsl In KDE there is the menu editor, which allows to only show apps when in kde sessions. Maybe there is something similar in gnome?
What it does is adding
`OnlyShowIn=KDE` to the applications .desktop fil, in the case of KDE that is normally /usr/share/applications/<appname>.desktopMaybe a similar line, just with 'gnome' would do the job? (not sure about casing for 'gnome' though)
@dlsl Now I'm at it, I believe you can override the system .desktop file by placing a copy in ~/.local/share/applications. That is probably what the menu editor does.
-
@dlsl In KDE there is the menu editor, which allows to only show apps when in kde sessions. Maybe there is something similar in gnome?
What it does is adding
`OnlyShowIn=KDE` to the applications .desktop fil, in the case of KDE that is normally /usr/share/applications/<appname>.desktopMaybe a similar line, just with 'gnome' would do the job? (not sure about casing for 'gnome' though)
@anderslund This looks promising! I quickly took a look and didn't find a gnome extension or menu setting for this but if I can log into KDE and set all the KDE apps to only show in KDE it should be enough.
Thank you so much! I'll give this a try.
-
@dlsl Now I'm at it, I believe you can override the system .desktop file by placing a copy in ~/.local/share/applications. That is probably what the menu editor does.
@anderslund ah that makes sense, wouldn't it otherwise get overwritten when the apps update?
-
@anderslund This looks promising! I quickly took a look and didn't find a gnome extension or menu setting for this but if I can log into KDE and set all the KDE apps to only show in KDE it should be enough.
Thank you so much! I'll give this a try.
@dlsl You can look in the systemsettings.desktop for how it looks. It is probably easier to edit the files in nano than fighting with the gui menu editor

-
@anderslund ah that makes sense, wouldn't it otherwise get overwritten when the apps update?
@dlsl Exactly
