Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. I think I need to share an experience I just had recently.

I think I need to share an experience I just had recently.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
44 Indlæg 19 Posters 5 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • npars01@mstdn.socialN npars01@mstdn.social

    2/

    Given time, most folks realize that racism, misogyny, & xenophobia are just wage suppression schemes that impact every working person, including them.
    https://inequality.org/article/billionaires-low-wage-workers/

    https://www.propublica.org/article/the-secret-irs-files-trove-of-never-before-seen-records-reveal-how-the-wealthiest-avoid-income-tax

    Billionaire wealth is stolen wages & unpaid taxes.
    https://www.counterpunch.org/2026/03/25/sixteen-billionaires-who-made-their-fortunes-off-the-backs-of-low-wage-workers/

    Given time, most realize that LGBTQ are just regular people & changes in marriage laws had NO impact on their lot in life.
    https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/billionaire-tim-dunn-runs-texas/

    https://www.christiancentury.org/books/inside-new-american-fascism

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2024/jul/11/tim-dunn-texas-oil-billionaire-trump

    npars01@mstdn.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
    npars01@mstdn.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
    npars01@mstdn.social
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #32

    3/

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2025/apr/08/empathy-sin-christian-right-musk-trump

    https://www.eenews.net/articles/meet-the-christian-oil-mogul-spending-big-to-elect-trump/

    It doesn't make housing, food, or gas any less expensive.

    Being mean to new Americans doesn't make prices go down.

    A war on women's civil rights, doesn't help families.

    Prejudice & stereotypes don't stop expensive wars & horrific genocides.

    lukefromdc@kolektiva.socialL 1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • benroyce@mastodon.socialB benroyce@mastodon.social

      @Sea1Am @chrisamaphone @inthehands

      i cited daryl davis myself contemporaneously independently in this thread

      the only problem with this approach:

      it is not our job

      and daryl's effort was inhuman amounts of stamina. he's a hero, but we aren't required to be heros for the sake of bigots. let bigots change themselves

      if anybody wants to be a daryl davis, i applaud them. they can wade out into twitter, i will buy the streamers and champagne for the bon voyage

      https://mastodon.social/@benroyce/117289915073518853

      sea1am@mastodon.socialS This user is from outside of this forum
      sea1am@mastodon.socialS This user is from outside of this forum
      sea1am@mastodon.social
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #33

      @benroyce @chrisamaphone @inthehands

      I totally agree it's not the job of Daryl to go out there and change racists one at a time, but I like to show his accomplishments as proof that people can be swayed.

      Kinda funny to think we were both pulling out our Daryl Davis links about the same time 😛

      benroyce@mastodon.socialB 1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • sea1am@mastodon.socialS sea1am@mastodon.social

        @benroyce @chrisamaphone @inthehands

        I totally agree it's not the job of Daryl to go out there and change racists one at a time, but I like to show his accomplishments as proof that people can be swayed.

        Kinda funny to think we were both pulling out our Daryl Davis links about the same time 😛

        benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
        benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
        benroyce@mastodon.social
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #34

        @Sea1Am @chrisamaphone @inthehands

        don't get me wrong, daryl is a fucking hero

        i just resent the idea we are *all* required to be heroes when dealing with bigots

        for those of us who do want to be such heroes, i have nothing but admiration

        but we can't use daryl's example to shift responsibility onto us for accommodating someone else's vile failures

        which is not what i think you were doing

        but i have encountered commenters who do say that elsewhere

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

          I happen to know that this is man is quite conservative in a lot of ways. He's steeped in the Foxosphere to a degree that alarms his relatives. I know he was a huge Trump supporter the first time around, and I'm pretty sure he was this time too.

          And even stewing in those juices, even •he• is just ready to see the world change for the better for trans people.

          I know with all of the horrifying backsliding we've seen these last few years, it feels like there's no hope for trans people. And…yeah, these really are dire, dire times. Dire. It is •horrifying• what's been coming to the political surface. But damnit…beneath the surface, the tectonic plates are moving. Despair, rage, lament, yes…but do not give up hope.

          /end

          nomdeb@mstdn.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
          nomdeb@mstdn.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
          nomdeb@mstdn.social
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #35

          @inthehands We know someone raised very traditionally and conservatively. But he has a heart of gold. I don't know how he voted, but I do know that when a relative came out to him, he was cool with it and reassured his nephew he loved him. Told us that he was cool about it, but that he didn't like the "flamboyancy" which says to me he really is poorly informed about LGBTQ. Sigh. I've heard that from another person too. They equate anything gay with everything flamboyant. Until it's family.

          nomdeb@mstdn.socialN jackmexa4@mastodon.socialJ 2 Replies Last reply
          0
          • jackmexa4@mastodon.socialJ jackmexa4@mastodon.social

            @inthehands @benroyce @chrisamaphone

            Love is a game changer. Sounds like that old man loved his grandson and now loves his granddaughter after her transition. He is not completely sure how other people will react and is somehow protecting his own feelings for his granddaughter from his circle’s opinions. It is great that he now knows that there are people willing to understand and recognize his love for his granddaughter because he wants to be free to love her as she is

            inthehands@hachyderm.ioI This user is from outside of this forum
            inthehands@hachyderm.ioI This user is from outside of this forum
            inthehands@hachyderm.io
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #36

            @JackMexa4 @benroyce @chrisamaphone

            I think in this case your assessment is probably just about spot on.

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • nomdeb@mstdn.socialN nomdeb@mstdn.social

              @inthehands We know someone raised very traditionally and conservatively. But he has a heart of gold. I don't know how he voted, but I do know that when a relative came out to him, he was cool with it and reassured his nephew he loved him. Told us that he was cool about it, but that he didn't like the "flamboyancy" which says to me he really is poorly informed about LGBTQ. Sigh. I've heard that from another person too. They equate anything gay with everything flamboyant. Until it's family.

              nomdeb@mstdn.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
              nomdeb@mstdn.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
              nomdeb@mstdn.social
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #37

              @inthehands Should add comes from a working class very traditional Italian catholic macho background... So much of it was his upbringing - and yet. Heart. Of. Gold. I think exposing him to people he respected (us) who had very different points of view helped him see the world differently too. Or have the freedom to admit publicly that he embraced all humans deep down, despite his cultural upbringing.

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • nomdeb@mstdn.socialN nomdeb@mstdn.social

                @inthehands We know someone raised very traditionally and conservatively. But he has a heart of gold. I don't know how he voted, but I do know that when a relative came out to him, he was cool with it and reassured his nephew he loved him. Told us that he was cool about it, but that he didn't like the "flamboyancy" which says to me he really is poorly informed about LGBTQ. Sigh. I've heard that from another person too. They equate anything gay with everything flamboyant. Until it's family.

                jackmexa4@mastodon.socialJ This user is from outside of this forum
                jackmexa4@mastodon.socialJ This user is from outside of this forum
                jackmexa4@mastodon.social
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #38

                @nomdeb @inthehands

                Sounds like one of those gay Republicans. They don’t like flamboyance either.

                nomdeb@mstdn.socialN 1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • jackmexa4@mastodon.socialJ jackmexa4@mastodon.social

                  @nomdeb @inthehands

                  Sounds like one of those gay Republicans. They don’t like flamboyance either.

                  nomdeb@mstdn.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
                  nomdeb@mstdn.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
                  nomdeb@mstdn.social
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #39

                  @JackMexa4 @inthehands I don't think so. Both the people I know who have said this to me are married - one is a man, the other a woman. I really think they're brainwashed and so poorly informed because they were so cloistered because of their religions. But people who have good hearts will rise above their upbringings - especially when better exposed to the world. There are definitely plenty of self-hating Republicans too of course. Or just plain hateful individuals.

                  nomdeb@mstdn.socialN 1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • nomdeb@mstdn.socialN nomdeb@mstdn.social

                    @JackMexa4 @inthehands I don't think so. Both the people I know who have said this to me are married - one is a man, the other a woman. I really think they're brainwashed and so poorly informed because they were so cloistered because of their religions. But people who have good hearts will rise above their upbringings - especially when better exposed to the world. There are definitely plenty of self-hating Republicans too of course. Or just plain hateful individuals.

                    nomdeb@mstdn.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
                    nomdeb@mstdn.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
                    nomdeb@mstdn.social
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #40

                    @JackMexa4 @inthehands Personally think that religion needs to die in a fire. More harm than good in the world. People will be generous of spirit without it if they are generous people in the first place.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

                      I think I need to share an experience I just had recently.

                      I was talking with an elder, in his mid-80s. He was showing me pictures, and showed me his wife’s “grandson” — cue photo of a stunningly fashionable young woman, wow does she know how to dress — “except he's trans, he did his trans-…he transitioned…”

                      ME: Does your grandkid use “she” pronouns now?

                      HIM: Yes!

                      ME: So she's your granddaughter now, I think?

                      HIM: Yes!!

                      And he switched to using she/her and did not switch back for the rest of the conversation.

                      There's more…

                      1/

                      leviamac@mastodon.socialL This user is from outside of this forum
                      leviamac@mastodon.socialL This user is from outside of this forum
                      leviamac@mastodon.social
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #41

                      @inthehands This is honestly so beautiful. 🥹🏳️‍⚧️💗 Sometimes the most powerful moments of acceptance come in the simplest conversations. You asked a thoughtful question, and he understood immediately. No argument, no hesitation, no making it complicated — just a genuine recognition that his granddaughter is his granddaughter.

                      The fact that he continued using she/her pronouns for the rest of the conversation makes this even more meaningful.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • benroyce@mastodon.socialB benroyce@mastodon.social

                        @blogdiva @DemonHouser @chrisamaphone @inthehands

                        there's a persistent troll on the fediverse, who i will not name because it will summon him and he will dive right into it, who argues we need to allow bigotry on the fediverse to change them

                        he cited daryl davis who befriended and changed KKK members

                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Davis

                        i replied that that is awesome. but it was a years long heroic effort of inhuman stamina

                        it's not our job to put in that effort and change bigots. *they* need to change

                        blogdiva@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
                        blogdiva@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
                        blogdiva@mastodon.social
                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                        #42

                        @benroyce @DemonHouser @chrisamaphone @inthehands 🛎 🛎 🛎

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • npars01@mstdn.socialN npars01@mstdn.social

                          3/

                          https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2025/apr/08/empathy-sin-christian-right-musk-trump

                          https://www.eenews.net/articles/meet-the-christian-oil-mogul-spending-big-to-elect-trump/

                          It doesn't make housing, food, or gas any less expensive.

                          Being mean to new Americans doesn't make prices go down.

                          A war on women's civil rights, doesn't help families.

                          Prejudice & stereotypes don't stop expensive wars & horrific genocides.

                          lukefromdc@kolektiva.socialL This user is from outside of this forum
                          lukefromdc@kolektiva.socialL This user is from outside of this forum
                          lukefromdc@kolektiva.social
                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                          #43

                          @Npars01 These motherfuckers who want to force trans kids to endure a wrong-direction puberty are every bit as bad as the prosecutor and judge that forced UK codebreaker Alan Turing to submit to chemical castration (he was a cis guy) or go to prison for being Gay.

                          He never emerged from the resulting depression and killed himself two years later. He lasted two years longer than I would have lasted. This was the thanks he got for taking years off of WWII, and now the US wants to impose similar horrors on trans KIDS.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • vandenberglegs@mastodon.socialV This user is from outside of this forum
                            vandenberglegs@mastodon.socialV This user is from outside of this forum
                            vandenberglegs@mastodon.social
                            wrote sidst redigeret af
                            #44

                            @NilaJones @pooserville @chrisamaphone @inthehands @Trainguyrom literal xenophobia

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • jwcph@helvede.netJ jwcph@helvede.net shared this topic
                            Svar
                            • Svar som emne
                            Login for at svare
                            • Ældste til nyeste
                            • Nyeste til ældste
                            • Most Votes


                            • Log ind

                            • Login or register to search.
                            Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                            Graciously hosted by data.coop
                            • First post
                              Last post
                            0
                            • Hjem
                            • Seneste
                            • Etiketter
                            • Populære
                            • Verden
                            • Bruger
                            • Grupper