I've got five pawpaws growing in the garden.
-
I've got five pawpaws growing in the garden. The odds are not in their favor to survive the upcoming winter, but hopefully, I will eventually find a few that do.
-
I've got five pawpaws growing in the garden. The odds are not in their favor to survive the upcoming winter, but hopefully, I will eventually find a few that do.
There are a few around my area that survive winters, but they're invariably all located in warmer microclimates. My garden is a colder microclimate.
If I can find seedlings that survive here, I'll probably have found new varieties that can easily grow for others in my area.
-
There are a few around my area that survive winters, but they're invariably all located in warmer microclimates. My garden is a colder microclimate.
If I can find seedlings that survive here, I'll probably have found new varieties that can easily grow for others in my area.
I've tried this a few times, but I never had more than one or two seedlings at a time for previous trials.
I may have a source where I can order pounds of viable pawpaw seeds from. That will give me better odds of finding a few that can survive here.
-
I've tried this a few times, but I never had more than one or two seedlings at a time for previous trials.
I may have a source where I can order pounds of viable pawpaw seeds from. That will give me better odds of finding a few that can survive here.
This might be the same source. In any case, these seeds are sourced from central Michigan.
http://oikostreecrops.com/products//pawpaw-seeds -
This might be the same source. In any case, these seeds are sourced from central Michigan.
http://oikostreecrops.com/products//pawpaw-seedsI should mention that I used to get catalogs from Oikos. Very interesting stuff.
-
This might be the same source. In any case, these seeds are sourced from central Michigan.
http://oikostreecrops.com/products//pawpaw-seeds@donray That would be an ideal source, being quite northerly already.
The one I had found previously was from Tennessee.
-
I've got five pawpaws growing in the garden. The odds are not in their favor to survive the upcoming winter, but hopefully, I will eventually find a few that do.
@thebiologistisn My three pawpaws, two seedlings and one sapling, made it through our southeast Michigan winter last winter. I surrounded each one with chicken wire and filled the chicken wire with lots of maple leaves.
-
@donray That would be an ideal source, being quite northerly already.
The one I had found previously was from Tennessee.
I hope it works out.

-
I've got five pawpaws growing in the garden. The odds are not in their favor to survive the upcoming winter, but hopefully, I will eventually find a few that do.
@thebiologistisn Have you read the research on Annonacine in pawpaw? I only learned about it last fall and still making up my mind about it, e.g. whether it would be worth breeding for lower or no concentration of that compound. I'm not from the US, but it's a surprise to me that I didn't see it mentioned before in the general pawpaw appreciation circles.