What the actual fuck is this email?!??!!!
-
@GhostOnTheHalfShell @sundogplanets Oh that’s perfect parody!
-
@chillikebab @angusm @sundogplanets I like this. Data centers can be maasives, prompts can be maasks, and the (verbose) Maas responses can be maasive missives.
-
Thinking about this a bit more, the reason that this confuses me so much is that it's not asking me for anything. It's not the spam I'm used to that's trying to scam money. It's like... it's trying to be helpful (in the most mansplainy way possible, but whatever). But it's a program, a racist pile of linear algebra (as "The AI Con" so beautifully puts it).
Is it trying to get me to reply and train on my email responses? This is so fucking weird.
Anyway, fuck AI, time to snuggle goats.
@sundogplanets I’m soooo here for the “Fuck AI. Snuggle Goats.” t-shirts to help fund your work.


-
Ok last post stewing about this: I just looked more carefully and pretty much all of the citations are wrong in some strange way. But they're all clearly based on citations that I've used in writing.
Don't use genAI for science, kids.
-
What the actual fuck is this email?!??!!!
-
Thinking about this a bit more, the reason that this confuses me so much is that it's not asking me for anything. It's not the spam I'm used to that's trying to scam money. It's like... it's trying to be helpful (in the most mansplainy way possible, but whatever). But it's a program, a racist pile of linear algebra (as "The AI Con" so beautifully puts it).
Is it trying to get me to reply and train on my email responses? This is so fucking weird.
Anyway, fuck AI, time to snuggle goats.
@sundogplanets Maybe send back as much garbage text as your email provider will let you! If it does process it, it will cost them lots of money!
-
@sundogplanets I’m soooo here for the “Fuck AI. Snuggle Goats.” t-shirts to help fund your work.


@britt OHHHH that's such a good idea!! Sign me up for that t-shirt!
-
What the actual fuck is this email?!??!!!
@sundogplanets suitable for lining a bird cage, or starting a BBQ
-
@ShadSterling I read it as the plagarism machine is finding sources that agree with my analysis (because I used those sources. I'm actually not sure what the point is here. It's literally all in that article)
@sundogplanets @ShadSterling So AI agent is plagiarizing your article to do a fact check of the same article? I don’t understand it either. I am not a tech bro
-
@sundogplanets What lovely ears they have!
-
@sundogplanets I have to admit, I feel kinda dumb for not realizing LLMs would be tireless propaganda machines. slopaganda
That's their primary function. Jamming real communications with floods of mindless noise, pushing whatever agenda the technofascists like. Leading everybody down their own personal cultish rabbithole in that sea of incomprehensible lies.
...While analyzing what everyone is saying (check out the recent articles about how Anthropic is charging $2 to de-anonymize any Reddit account, for example) and "summarizing" who's a good little consumer and who's going to be targeted for much worse things than advertising.
-
Ok last post stewing about this: I just looked more carefully and pretty much all of the citations are wrong in some strange way. But they're all clearly based on citations that I've used in writing.
Don't use genAI for science, kids.
@sundogplanets three words too many in that last sentence.
-
@britt OHHHH that's such a good idea!! Sign me up for that t-shirt!
@sundogplanets @britt Oooh, or maybe embroider it on a fleece neck warmer, so you can pull the text up over your mouth as you stomp out to the barn in winter?
-
That's their primary function. Jamming real communications with floods of mindless noise, pushing whatever agenda the technofascists like. Leading everybody down their own personal cultish rabbithole in that sea of incomprehensible lies.
...While analyzing what everyone is saying (check out the recent articles about how Anthropic is charging $2 to de-anonymize any Reddit account, for example) and "summarizing" who's a good little consumer and who's going to be targeted for much worse things than advertising.
@violetmadder @4raylee @sundogplanets > I feel kinda dumb for not realizing LLMs would be tireless propaganda machines.
I don't think you need to feel dumb about it, honestly. They have who knows how many millions or billions of dollars in advertising to convince you that is has nothing to do with surveillance and propaganda but is just totally great for other, unrelated things (that you can do faster, more easily, and cheaper without them). They've spent a lot of money on trying to hide that fact, frankly. -
Thinking about this a bit more, the reason that this confuses me so much is that it's not asking me for anything. It's not the spam I'm used to that's trying to scam money. It's like... it's trying to be helpful (in the most mansplainy way possible, but whatever). But it's a program, a racist pile of linear algebra (as "The AI Con" so beautifully puts it).
Is it trying to get me to reply and train on my email responses? This is so fucking weird.
Anyway, fuck AI, time to snuggle goats.
@sundogplanets AI <--> Goats.... Hmmm, Always choose the Goats, cuz AI sux
-
@sundogplanets oh that line at da clu'u'u'b
-
Ok last post stewing about this: I just looked more carefully and pretty much all of the citations are wrong in some strange way. But they're all clearly based on citations that I've used in writing.
Don't use genAI for science, kids.
@sundogplanets AI is terrible for citations. Citations are a huge part of my job (I edit at a journal). All of us journal people are trying to send up the alarm about how much AI screws up citations, and no one is listening. If you ask AI to format your citations it will mess up all your DOIs and make things that look right but are not at all.
JAMA has written a thing on this, which is polite and journal-speak for "oh god, oh god, do not let AI touch your citations": https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2852772
-
What the actual fuck is this email?!??!!!
That scam has been going around lately -@molly0xfff wrote about being targeted a couple of weeks ago.
The scheme appears to be running people's work through the slop generator, using their replying as a screen for potential marks, and then trying to get them to pay the iLands company money to get more of the slop.
(iLands is supposedly operated by one Kaixin Tang, who has been involved with various "AI" startups.)
-
Thinking about this a bit more, the reason that this confuses me so much is that it's not asking me for anything. It's not the spam I'm used to that's trying to scam money. It's like... it's trying to be helpful (in the most mansplainy way possible, but whatever). But it's a program, a racist pile of linear algebra (as "The AI Con" so beautifully puts it).
Is it trying to get me to reply and train on my email responses? This is so fucking weird.
Anyway, fuck AI, time to snuggle goats.
@sundogplanets Maybe it's an attempt at "the first hit's free" - hoping that you'll be so amazed by their unsolicited slopsplaining that you'll throw piles of cash at them to generate more useless slop for you? Making you put in a little effort to figure out how to throw money at them (rather than outright offering a paid service) could be a tactic to make it feel less like they're soliciting...
-
@bunnyhero @ernie Oh thank you for this article! I am still totally confused, but at least I have a human-written article to verify that it's definitely not just me.
@sundogplanets @bunnyhero @ernie
That article suggests reporting iLands to the FTC, but I do not know what the equivalent on your side of the line would be?
all the way down, and that’s why wankers love
it so much!