Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. A piece I wrote for The Progressive magazine earlier this summer--“How to Fight Media Oligarchy”--is now published online.

A piece I wrote for The Progressive magazine earlier this summer--“How to Fight Media Oligarchy”--is now published online.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
6 Indlæg 2 Posters 0 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • victorpickard@mastodon.socialV This user is from outside of this forum
    victorpickard@mastodon.socialV This user is from outside of this forum
    victorpickard@mastodon.social
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #1

    A piece I wrote for The Progressive magazine earlier this summer--“How to Fight Media Oligarchy”--is now published online. In the essay I try to sketch several arguments: 1) big corporate media mergers are bad for everyone other than those few who stand to profit 2) this media oligarchy problem wasn't inevitable but rather caused by bad policy decisions, and 3) breaking up media conglomerates is both absolutely necessary & insufficient for reconstructing the media we need.https://progressive.org/magazine/how-to-fight-media-oligarchy-pickard-20260904/

    victorpickard@mastodon.socialV wjmaggos@liberal.cityW 2 Replies Last reply
    1
    0
    • victorpickard@mastodon.socialV victorpickard@mastodon.social

      A piece I wrote for The Progressive magazine earlier this summer--“How to Fight Media Oligarchy”--is now published online. In the essay I try to sketch several arguments: 1) big corporate media mergers are bad for everyone other than those few who stand to profit 2) this media oligarchy problem wasn't inevitable but rather caused by bad policy decisions, and 3) breaking up media conglomerates is both absolutely necessary & insufficient for reconstructing the media we need.https://progressive.org/magazine/how-to-fight-media-oligarchy-pickard-20260904/

      victorpickard@mastodon.socialV This user is from outside of this forum
      victorpickard@mastodon.socialV This user is from outside of this forum
      victorpickard@mastodon.social
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #2

      Every billionaire-owned media outlet is a profound threat to our democracy, but the solution isn't merely to trust-bust them into smaller pieces; we also must create true public alternatives from the ground up.

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • victorpickard@mastodon.socialV victorpickard@mastodon.social

        A piece I wrote for The Progressive magazine earlier this summer--“How to Fight Media Oligarchy”--is now published online. In the essay I try to sketch several arguments: 1) big corporate media mergers are bad for everyone other than those few who stand to profit 2) this media oligarchy problem wasn't inevitable but rather caused by bad policy decisions, and 3) breaking up media conglomerates is both absolutely necessary & insufficient for reconstructing the media we need.https://progressive.org/magazine/how-to-fight-media-oligarchy-pickard-20260904/

        wjmaggos@liberal.cityW This user is from outside of this forum
        wjmaggos@liberal.cityW This user is from outside of this forum
        wjmaggos@liberal.city
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #3

        @victorpickard

        my only disagreement is that there's no longer so much of a funneling of the public into a few corporate outlets and PBS and NPR. There are many more options and of course that funneling is now often done by corporate social platforms and it's why Elon bought Twitter etc.

        But what if media reform groups created a movement around decentralized social media and related technologies? Direct and automatic funding of creators? Isn't that another option?

        #DemocracyOfReach

        victorpickard@mastodon.socialV 1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • wjmaggos@liberal.cityW wjmaggos@liberal.city

          @victorpickard

          my only disagreement is that there's no longer so much of a funneling of the public into a few corporate outlets and PBS and NPR. There are many more options and of course that funneling is now often done by corporate social platforms and it's why Elon bought Twitter etc.

          But what if media reform groups created a movement around decentralized social media and related technologies? Direct and automatic funding of creators? Isn't that another option?

          #DemocracyOfReach

          victorpickard@mastodon.socialV This user is from outside of this forum
          victorpickard@mastodon.socialV This user is from outside of this forum
          victorpickard@mastodon.social
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #4

          @wjmaggos Yeah, those are options. FWIW I am advocating for funding/rebuilding/reimagining an entire media ecosystem, not just PBS/NPR.

          wjmaggos@liberal.cityW 1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • victorpickard@mastodon.socialV victorpickard@mastodon.social

            @wjmaggos Yeah, those are options. FWIW I am advocating for funding/rebuilding/reimagining an entire media ecosystem, not just PBS/NPR.

            wjmaggos@liberal.cityW This user is from outside of this forum
            wjmaggos@liberal.cityW This user is from outside of this forum
            wjmaggos@liberal.city
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #5

            @victorpickard

            I think I understand. I'm not really talking about PBS and NPR either. I'm also talking about the entire ecosystem.

            That buying CBS and CNN could matter a lot less if when people sit down to watch the news, it's in any app they choose (like podcasting) and the content was recommended by people they follow via fedi boosts. Same with articles, podcasts, music etc. And they auto pay what they can afford directly to the creators. Developing these tools just needs money/visibility.

            wjmaggos@liberal.cityW 1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • wjmaggos@liberal.cityW wjmaggos@liberal.city

              @victorpickard

              I think I understand. I'm not really talking about PBS and NPR either. I'm also talking about the entire ecosystem.

              That buying CBS and CNN could matter a lot less if when people sit down to watch the news, it's in any app they choose (like podcasting) and the content was recommended by people they follow via fedi boosts. Same with articles, podcasts, music etc. And they auto pay what they can afford directly to the creators. Developing these tools just needs money/visibility.

              wjmaggos@liberal.cityW This user is from outside of this forum
              wjmaggos@liberal.cityW This user is from outside of this forum
              wjmaggos@liberal.city
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #6

              @victorpickard

              I just saw the #DemocracyNow documentary. It's not like good reporting doesn't exist. It's that the defaults for most people for decades has directed them to news that's biased by big money. While the web made the good stuff accessible, it didn't change the structural default for most Americans. That's what advocating for an embrace of decentralized social media and convenient decentralized media distribution systems can fix. Early twitter and podcasts were a first step for many.

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • folfdk@helvede.netF folfdk@helvede.net shared this topic
              Svar
              • Svar som emne
              Login for at svare
              • Ældste til nyeste
              • Nyeste til ældste
              • Most Votes


              • Log ind

              • Login or register to search.
              Powered by NodeBB Contributors
              Graciously hosted by data.coop
              • First post
                Last post
              0
              • Hjem
              • Seneste
              • Etiketter
              • Populære
              • Verden
              • Bruger
              • Grupper