Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
albnelson@beige.partyA

albnelson@beige.party

@albnelson@beige.party
About
Indlæg
8
Emner
1
Fremhævelser
0
Grupper
0
Følgere
0
Følger
0

Vis Original

Indlæg

Seneste Bedste Controversial

  • I'm not the world's greatest Mastodonian so I'm a little nervous about this, but I'm going to try it -- #getFediHired
    albnelson@beige.partyA albnelson@beige.party

    @sapphireangel I’ll send em right back to ya

    Ikke-kategoriseret getfedihired

  • I'm not the world's greatest Mastodonian so I'm a little nervous about this, but I'm going to try it -- #getFediHired
    albnelson@beige.partyA albnelson@beige.party

    @sapphireangel Thanks, me too. I have a lead on something pretty good right now so send good vibes 😉

    Ikke-kategoriseret getfedihired

  • I'm not the world's greatest Mastodonian so I'm a little nervous about this, but I'm going to try it -- #getFediHired
    albnelson@beige.partyA albnelson@beige.party

    @EricBono There are plenty of flaws in the good ol Trek but it was antifascist as hell

    Ikke-kategoriseret getfedihired

  • I'm not the world's greatest Mastodonian so I'm a little nervous about this, but I'm going to try it -- #getFediHired
    albnelson@beige.partyA albnelson@beige.party

    @EricBono thanks friend. It was kind of a hard metaphor to draw because even though I have always identified with Spock, I am totally un-Spock-like in my skills and affect. I’m a lot closer to Guinan. But the point was not so much about specific character traits so much as the role within a team. Teams need loving, loyal outsiders who see things in a really different way. I’ve been that for designers, social workers, nurses, and others… it’s a role I’m really good at, but it’s hard to connect with a job description. So I just tried Spock instead 😉

    Ikke-kategoriseret getfedihired

  • I'm not the world's greatest Mastodonian so I'm a little nervous about this, but I'm going to try it -- #getFediHired
    albnelson@beige.partyA albnelson@beige.party

    I tried getting hired on LinkedIn by writing an essay about Spock, maybe that will work better here.

    When folks have asked me why I’m moving from consulting to seeking a job, I’ve sometimes said “I want to be part of a bridge crew.” It’s my Trekkie way of saying I want to be part of a team with a common purpose.

    So what’s my job in that team? You know it has to be “Spock.”

    Every version of Star Trek has a mostly human crew plus a few key aliens. In the original series, this mostly was due to the limits of special effects, but also the limits of what viewers could handle. Leonard Nimoy’s genius was that with little guidance, he manifested an alien culture that was relentlessly logical yet also relatable. He wasn’t just making one of the most iconic TV roles of all time, but a new way of expressing the themes of a TV show by centering an alien persona.

    Character development requires conflict, but Trek had to do it differently. Due to the famous “Roddenberry rules,” typical sources of interpersonal drama were not allowed. This was good because it turned the focus of the show to the pursuit of the unknown. The crew modeled how we might face it with science, diplomacy, optimism, and unity. The future it portrayed transcended the kind of differences we spend so much of our time negotiating: national, class, race, religion, gender. No more “othering,” just exploring.

    But no disagreement makes for a boring show. One source for it was aliens like Spock, who pursued the crew’s common goals but with something other than normal motivations. Vulcans prize logic and science more than camaraderie or adventure. Yet Shatner and Nimoy played Kirk and Spock as authentic friends. Getting there required Spock to show the audience his motivations without outward emotions. Nimoy did it through Spock’s interest in the experiences of others. What he created implicitly, later writers made explicit: the half-human Spock chose Starfleet over the Vulcan Science Academy because of his deep desire to understand both sides of himself. This was what drew Kirk to say: “of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most human.”

    I’m not a Chief Science Officer. I’m a strategist steeped in the humanities. I’m obsessed with the ways people come together to pursue a goal. I’ve seen how that happens in small companies and giant corporations, in hospitals and universities, in capital cities and in rural Africa. The secret: it’s all just human beings following human motivations. But I'm a bit of an alien because I don't see the world instrumentally. Others see the data, I see what it *means* to people. That focus has often helped me find a way forward when more narrow approaches have failed.

    If I join your crew, you won’t need to ask me to do this work. It will just start happening. You won’t need to explain to me the problem with that board member or the impasse between the researchers and the marketers. I’ve already started working on the problem because that’s who I am. I started working on it the moment I said: “Fascinating.”

    Ikke-kategoriseret getfedihired

  • I'm not the world's greatest Mastodonian so I'm a little nervous about this, but I'm going to try it -- #getFediHired
    albnelson@beige.partyA albnelson@beige.party

    I'm not the world's greatest Mastodonian so I'm a little nervous about this, but I'm going to try it -- #getFediHired

    My tagline: "I bring people together in new ways to solve problems no one thought they could."

    That has meant lots of things: strategist, facilitator, advisor, researcher, coach. I'm well-versed in health care, social welfare, and philanthropy, but I've done deep dives into all sorts of other fields too.

    I've solved problems for lots of organizations you've heard of, but for the better part of two decades, I've done it as a solopreneur or as part of small companies and nonprofits.

    For many job applications that has been a liability... I'd like to find the employer for whom it's an asset. I don't need hand-holding or an instruction manual. I've been finding my way in the dark my whole career. Now I'd like to do it as part of a team.

    I've found ways to express that in plenty of different job applications, but here's my website designed to reach the person who wants my help but hasn't created that job listing yet. Here's hoping I'm the one for you.

    https://www.andrewbenedictnelson.com

    Ikke-kategoriseret getfedihired

  • I hope John Roberts can't watch the NFL playoff games today because he has explosive diarrhea.
    albnelson@beige.partyA albnelson@beige.party

    @msbellows he should visit the WWI museum

    Ikke-kategoriseret

  • I hope John Roberts can't watch the NFL playoff games today because he has explosive diarrhea.
    albnelson@beige.partyA albnelson@beige.party

    @msbellows I live in KC, this checks out

    Ikke-kategoriseret
  • Log ind

  • Login or register to search.
Powered by NodeBB Contributors
Graciously hosted by data.coop
  • First post
    Last post
0
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper