I fear that the situation is even worse than it was 20 years ago. It’s no longer just about publishing: academic software (e.g. PURE), services (e.g. Scopus), and analytics tools (e.g. SciVal and PlumX) have also been readily adopted by academic institutions.
There are many reasons for this, but what I believe is missing is sustained lobbying at the level of decision-makers: a kind of advocacy and pressure group for open infrastructures that maintains a constant presence and activity, countering the relentless lobbying of Elsevier and others.
Of course, I realise that many people are already advocating for open infrastructures in different contexts. But I think it would be a huge boost to have a professional organisation dedicated to this work. One that can engage continuously with decision-makers and bring the issue more visibly into public attention.
️ Elsevier works with the fossil fuel industry, providing data and analytics that support oil and gas exploration.
Elsevier’s corporate affiliate LexisNexis Risk Solutions provides data services to the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
️ And companies within Elsevier’s corporate structures have been registered in jurisdictions commonly associated with tax avoidance and tax-haven structures.
Every contract is also a decision about which infrastructures and organisations we fund.
Are the organisations we fund helping to build the future we want?