Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
seav@en.osm.townS

seav@en.osm.town

@seav@en.osm.town
About
Indlæg
3
Emner
1
Fremhævelser
0
Grupper
0
Følgere
0
Følger
0

Vis Original

Indlæg

Seneste Bedste Controversial

  • 🧵 1/2: I recently saw this vintage #Qantas poster with a unique “flower” map projection centered on #Sydney (1st image).
    seav@en.osm.townS seav@en.osm.town

    @IvanSanchez I can’t prove it, but I’m not sure this is equal-area. But if my calculus intuition is correct (infinitesimal slices), it might be!

    Also, except for the exact spines of the “petals”, I don’t think this is really equidistant since the radial great circles curve away from the petal spines.

    Ikke-kategoriseret qantas sydney maps cartography mapstodon

  • 🧵 1/2: I recently saw this vintage #Qantas poster with a unique “flower” map projection centered on #Sydney (1st image).
    seav@en.osm.townS seav@en.osm.town

    🧵 2/2: I have no idea what this floral projection is or if it even has a name. I haven’t seen this in any list of map projections. The closest I know is the Gingery projection which is also aviation related:

    https://www.jasondavies.com/maps/gingery/ (by @jasondavies)

    Normally, an azimuthal equidistant map is used to show great circle distances from a central point. But because shapes are greatly distorted the farther from the center you go, an interrupted projection like Qantas’s or the Gingery could be used.

    Ikke-kategoriseret qantas sydney maps cartography mapstodon

  • 🧵 1/2: I recently saw this vintage #Qantas poster with a unique “flower” map projection centered on #Sydney (1st image).
    seav@en.osm.townS seav@en.osm.town

    🧵 1/2: I recently saw this vintage #Qantas poster with a unique “flower” map projection centered on #Sydney (1st image). I like how the map almost neatly divides the four largest continents (Eurasia, North America, South America, and Africa) into the four petals.

    Well, I kinda became obsessed and wondered if I can recreate it using the mapmaking skill I have.

    After some tinkering and mathing I think I was able to do it! (2nd image) 🎉🗺️

    #maps #cartography #Mapstodon #gischat #Australia

    Ikke-kategoriseret qantas sydney maps cartography mapstodon
  • Log ind

  • Login or register to search.
Powered by NodeBB Contributors
Graciously hosted by data.coop
  • First post
    Last post
0
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper