Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
trurl@mastodon.sdf.orgT

trurl@mastodon.sdf.org

@trurl@mastodon.sdf.org
About
Indlæg
5
Emner
0
Fremhævelser
0
Grupper
0
Følgere
0
Følger
0

Vis Original

Indlæg

Seneste Bedste Controversial

  • Rust wgpu now has a
    trurl@mastodon.sdf.orgT trurl@mastodon.sdf.org

    @mcc @sabrina ...I am not proud of how little progress I've made, as it's not been done at all efficiently. (Rewriting WINGs in Rust while mostly maintaining source-level compatibility with the original C library is probably kinda dumb. But I am learning.)

    Most recent status update is that I'm un-mothballing it again and making sense of a backlog of local changes so they can all get pushed to a project repo. You're welcome to look:

    https://git.sdf.org/vitrine/wmaker
    https://git.sdf.org/trurl/wmaker

    Ikke-kategoriseret

  • Rust wgpu now has a
    trurl@mastodon.sdf.orgT trurl@mastodon.sdf.org

    @mcc @sabrina I am 100% sympathetic to the line of thinking you've shared here, and it's inspiring. (Redox has come a long way since I last looked. I should try it out.)

    I'm asking about what I consider the basics need because hardware acceleration of some stripe may actually be necessary these days, given screen resolutions and expectations about tearing. I haven't peered that deeply into the stack lately, and things in X that seem like simple blitting may actually do more these days.

    Ikke-kategoriseret

  • Rust wgpu now has a
    trurl@mastodon.sdf.orgT trurl@mastodon.sdf.org

    @mcc @sabrina does "fast 2D desktop" include something like video playback at modern screen resolutions, or is a desktop stack from, say, the late 90s acceptable? I've been putting a little time here and there into rewriting Window Maker, and it seems to work perfectly well with only a few calls to the X server, which could do everything in software and probably work fine. But modern Web browsers and media players ask for a lot.

    Ikke-kategoriseret

  • Google has captured a large segment of the education market with Google Classroom and it's the most primitive software I use every single day.
    trurl@mastodon.sdf.orgT trurl@mastodon.sdf.org

    @futurebird I later went on to a job where I was sysadmin for WebCT and Blackboard deployments at a publisher who developed content for those platforms to sell with their textbooks.

    These platforms were a miserable pile of Perl scripts and Java servlets.

    It's always been like 2002 out there. I can only shudder at the thought of what Google has built in the past 10 years.

    Ikke-kategoriseret

  • Google has captured a large segment of the education market with Google Classroom and it's the most primitive software I use every single day.
    trurl@mastodon.sdf.orgT trurl@mastodon.sdf.org

    @futurebird in my senior year of high school (which happend to be in 2002), the relatively young, ambitious physics/calculus teacher learned enough MySQL and PHP to be dangerous (after iterating through Flash and various other client-side approaches which I gleefully showed him it was trivial to crack open to extract the quiz answers). This turned into a classroom CMS which, fortunately for all involved, never really took off.

    Ikke-kategoriseret
  • Log ind

  • Login or register to search.
Powered by NodeBB Contributors
Graciously hosted by data.coop
  • First post
    Last post
0
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper