Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
181 Indlæg 136 Posters 0 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.socialM mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.social

    @disorderlyf @dlakelan I told a resident, where I work, that I no longer have an Amazon account, and they just rolled their eyes. Expected behavior at this point I suppose. Then there's the folks I tell that I don't use Netflix, or the likes. They ask me how I access that stuff. And I always tell them there's a way, without explicitly saying how. Always get confused looks.

    disorderlyf@todon.euD This user is from outside of this forum
    disorderlyf@todon.euD This user is from outside of this forum
    disorderlyf@todon.eu
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #133

    @mrgrumpymonkey @dlakelan The Netflix one is maybe odd to me because I've lived in places where the internet is too slow to stream 720p content without buffering so often it's incomprehensible, and I can still find DVDs and blurays on the shelf at stores.

    Amazon less so, but maybe that's because I live on an island, so there's only so much space for brick and mortar stores.

    mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.socialM 1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

      Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

      cjust@infosec.exchangeC This user is from outside of this forum
      cjust@infosec.exchangeC This user is from outside of this forum
      cjust@infosec.exchange
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #134

      @dlakelan

      1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • lnsy_dev@mastodon.socialL lnsy_dev@mastodon.social

        @GhostOnTheHalfShell @douglasvb @dlakelan zines

        falken@social.falkensweb.comF This user is from outside of this forum
        falken@social.falkensweb.comF This user is from outside of this forum
        falken@social.falkensweb.com
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #135

        @lnsy_dev @GhostOnTheHalfShell @douglasvb @dlakelan zines on disks. In the mail.

        #retro #RetroComputing

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • disorderlyf@todon.euD disorderlyf@todon.eu

          @mrgrumpymonkey @dlakelan The Netflix one is maybe odd to me because I've lived in places where the internet is too slow to stream 720p content without buffering so often it's incomprehensible, and I can still find DVDs and blurays on the shelf at stores.

          Amazon less so, but maybe that's because I live on an island, so there's only so much space for brick and mortar stores.

          mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
          mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
          mrgrumpymonkey@mastodon.social
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #136

          @disorderlyf @dlakelan As long as there are libraries, media will be accessible to all. As for your living situation, I'd probably still use it, unless there are other retailers willing to ship products. Living in the US gives me access to all those brick and mortar stores. I'm trying to shop locally, as I know I'll get high quality products that way too.

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

            Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

            curious_carrot@mastodon.socialC This user is from outside of this forum
            curious_carrot@mastodon.socialC This user is from outside of this forum
            curious_carrot@mastodon.social
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #137

            @dlakelan
            Thank you for summarising the mood 😄

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • douglasvb@m.ai6yr.orgD douglasvb@m.ai6yr.org

              @MaryAustinBooks @iakobsdesamos @dlakelan it's been a few years since I've updated my blog but I still host the whole thing back to the early days of personal websites. And you can too!

              Whenever you write can become part of training data sets and you can have some fun with that.

              fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
              fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
              fluffykittycat@furry.engineer
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #138

              @douglasvb @MaryAustinBooks @iakobsdesamos @dlakelan sometimes I like to replace random sour in my sentence with nonsense so that LLMs learn weird demonstrator associations between words

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • mark@mastodon.fixermark.comM mark@mastodon.fixermark.com

                @dlakelan In hindsight, we did fall for the assumption that large centralized architectures built by benevolent dictators would work because we seemed to believe that technical competency and benevolence were hand in hand, and not a particular artifact of a particular, I'm not sure yet... Generation? Generation and geography? Dirty hippie technophiles in Silicon Valley? All of the above? None of the above? Wishful thinking?

                Whatever it was, we failed to learn the lesson that history teaches about ceding territory to kings.

                fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
                fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
                fluffykittycat@furry.engineer
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #139

                @mark @dlakelan it worked, for a while. I gradually got more pissed off at them through the 2010's and I now refuse to sign up for a new service that doesn't love me back.

                Speaking of, do you know of a good general purpose #peertube instance? I want to get Set up watching stuff there

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • mamalake@beige.partyM mamalake@beige.party

                  @dlakelan can we build it again?

                  fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
                  fluffykittycat@furry.engineerF This user is from outside of this forum
                  fluffykittycat@furry.engineer
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #140

                  @MamaLake @dlakelan it never really went away, technically. People just stopped paying attention

                  pteryx@dice.campP 1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • pteryx@dice.campP pteryx@dice.camp

                    @iakobsdesamos @douglasvb @dlakelan
                    One of my big problems with Discord is that people treat it like it's a "safe" replacement for the Web that was stolen from us, when no, Discord is "theirs" to begin with.

                    aoanla@hachyderm.ioA This user is from outside of this forum
                    aoanla@hachyderm.ioA This user is from outside of this forum
                    aoanla@hachyderm.io
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #141

                    @pteryx @iakobsdesamos @douglasvb @dlakelan yeah, it is very difficult to have this conversation with people (especially when you know they just migrated away from Facebook... and can't see the pattern here)

                    pteryx@dice.campP 1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • nekoplanet@mastodon.socialN nekoplanet@mastodon.social

                      @dlakelan also 20 something queer people. And a couple old school real anarchists. Love it.

                      fogti@chaos.socialF This user is from outside of this forum
                      fogti@chaos.socialF This user is from outside of this forum
                      fogti@chaos.social
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #142

                      @nekoplanet @dlakelan also 20 something queer (new school?) anarchists.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                        Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                        elilla@transmom.loveE This user is from outside of this forum
                        elilla@transmom.loveE This user is from outside of this forum
                        elilla@transmom.love
                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                        #143

                        @dlakelan was about to say "and furries", then I realised I was just restating the point

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                          Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                          nate@coxenheim.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
                          nate@coxenheim.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
                          nate@coxenheim.social
                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                          #144

                          @dlakelan I do not like how accurate this is. Stop it.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                            Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                            der_mit_ph@toot.berlinD This user is from outside of this forum
                            der_mit_ph@toot.berlinD This user is from outside of this forum
                            der_mit_ph@toot.berlin
                            wrote sidst redigeret af
                            #145

                            @dlakelan I am in this picture and I am not sure if I like it.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • publicwondering@mastodon.me.ukP publicwondering@mastodon.me.uk

                              @douglasvb @dlakelan I have been wondering whether coming down from the trees was such a great idea...

                              amiserabilist@beige.partyA This user is from outside of this forum
                              amiserabilist@beige.partyA This user is from outside of this forum
                              amiserabilist@beige.party
                              wrote sidst redigeret af
                              #146

                              @publicwondering @douglasvb @dlakelan

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              0
                              • douglasvb@m.ai6yr.orgD This user is from outside of this forum
                                douglasvb@m.ai6yr.orgD This user is from outside of this forum
                                douglasvb@m.ai6yr.org
                                wrote sidst redigeret af
                                #147

                                @w_b @60sRefugee @dlakelan I dunno. Pretty sure letters to the editor and personal ads in the local newspaper were the OG social media.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                                  Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                                  chris_colvin@mastodon.socialC This user is from outside of this forum
                                  chris_colvin@mastodon.socialC This user is from outside of this forum
                                  chris_colvin@mastodon.social
                                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                                  #148

                                  @dlakelan I’m only 34, but can I come along? 👉👈

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  0
                                  • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                                    Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                                    the_moep@mastodon.deT This user is from outside of this forum
                                    the_moep@mastodon.deT This user is from outside of this forum
                                    the_moep@mastodon.de
                                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                                    #149

                                    @dlakelan At the risk of repeating others or taking it too serious:

                                    This ignores a significant amount of people actually building and using this thing. 😬

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    0
                                    • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                                      Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                                      nathanking@mastodon.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
                                      nathanking@mastodon.socialN This user is from outside of this forum
                                      nathanking@mastodon.social
                                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                                      #150

                                      @dlakelan Pepperidge Farm remembers when the web was for sharing useful information and had no corporations or ads. Pepperidge Farm is now owned by Campbell's.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      0
                                      • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                                        Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                                        nux@fosstodon.orgN This user is from outside of this forum
                                        nux@fosstodon.orgN This user is from outside of this forum
                                        nux@fosstodon.org
                                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                                        #151

                                        @dlakelan Nailed it!

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        0
                                        • dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.orgD dlakelan@mastodon.sdf.org

                                          Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.

                                          alienghic@timeloop.cafeA This user is from outside of this forum
                                          alienghic@timeloop.cafeA This user is from outside of this forum
                                          alienghic@timeloop.cafe
                                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                                          #152

                                          @dlakelan

                                          I've seen people under 30 here!

                                          They may all be corporate hating anarchists though.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          0
                                          Svar
                                          • Svar som emne
                                          Login for at svare
                                          • Ældste til nyeste
                                          • Nyeste til ældste
                                          • Most Votes


                                          • Log ind

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                                          Graciously hosted by data.coop
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Hjem
                                          • Seneste
                                          • Etiketter
                                          • Populære
                                          • Verden
                                          • Bruger
                                          • Grupper