Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else?
-
@mschfr @Anneheathen we use self-hosted Nextcloud for the family calendar. Since it is built on open protocols, we almost never actually log into it ourselves, it is just synced on our devices' native apps.
@ntnsndr @Anneheathen The magic search term here is "CalDav" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalDAV
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
I've moved over to Zoho Calendar-- I don't do a lot of inviting, but I'm sure that option exists.
Only time friction occurs is when something assumes GCal is the default-- or that's the only option. I either do the ics file thing or just don't use that service/feature.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen@glammr.us I dig the Proton ecosystem.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen Proton, Tuta, Nextcloud.
You could also try "alternativto.net"
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
Good morning Anne!
@nextcloud is a great option for what you are looking for.Its can be a replacement for not just Google Cal but also Drive, Docs, and Contacts.
Its an open source application and here is an official list of providers if self-hosting isn't something you are up for.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen try https://proton.me/calendar
I left G 2 years ago -
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen we’ve moved to Proton mail and calendar. It works fine, we have a shared calendar.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen I use tuta calendar but I also pay monthly so I get more than one calendar
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen I use Proton, but no one in my family is interested in making the change.
Migration wasn't dramatic at all.
-
@Anneheathen I use Proton, but no one in my family is interested in making the change.
Migration wasn't dramatic at all.
@Anneheathen Also, Proton is problematic as a company. Tuta might be better.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
Every email suite also includes calendar sync servers. I use Mailbox. Infomaniak, Tuta, Fastmail etc work equally well.
@Anneheathen -
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
I think nowadays the best solution for mail, calendar and so on is moving to a professional service, I mean a company where you pay a monthly fee for these services.
For a few euros a months you can have what you need in terms of functionalities and privacy (if you keep to EU) without worries.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen Well, I use @Tutanota for e-mail and calendar stuff. Very happy. Very *not* US big tech.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen We're using proton, works well. Tuta also seems to be quite good.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen We use fastmail. Not free but Im happy to pay to avoid Google.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen I use #radicale as a caldav server and #davx5 as a sync tool on android.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen wife moved to mailbox.org. It doesn't have a way to share a calendar to a non-member that's also editable over caldav - share is readonly. Makes collaboration painful.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
fastmail, thunderbird, etar, & davx5.
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen ever since I switched to Purelymail I've been trying to find some way of replicating email calendar invites. I guess it would have to be some all-in-one solution like Nextcloud
-
Has anyone successfully moved away from #GoogleCalendar to something else? I'm on ios and macos but would like it to also be usable by my spouse who is on android and PC. We do a fair amount of inviting each other and other folks to calendar entries, but don't use a lot of other features. Motivation here is to get away from big G and theoretically find something with better privacy/etc.
@Anneheathen Been using Proton for work, and it's okay for mail & calendar, but their Drive/Office tools are just garbage, and the company leadership supports Trump and white supremacists, so I'm looking at Hugo, which is a hosted collabora/libreoffice in Canada. The company is about slow to deal with, but the tools & hosting look really solid.