There was a video on Insta yesterday of a clean cut Nazi in a white button down and khaki pants proselytizing on a NYC train.
-
@DeliaChristina sometimes I wonder if we’re just doomed to repeat WWII. Even after all the anti-Nazi propaganda in our movies for literally the last 80 years, somehow it didn’t work??
@irene @DeliaChristina The War Dept. just put out a new advisory on this threat.
-
@DeliaChristina ok so the other disturbing thing is that my German friends have been like, well they taught us all at school how to spot a Nazi and watch out for the rise of fascism again. But THEY DIDN’T TELL US WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT.
@irene @DeliaChristina Wait, they taught it in school?
Like, actually talked about World War 2 in class?
-
And it's that lack of imagination that stuns me.
Because I would think it's obvious:
We make public life inhospitable for them.
We extract a COST for being a NeoNazi fuckhead.Example: I knew someone who would help organize left-wing conferences and convenings. He noticed that, at one, there was a panel featuring a speaker who had a long, documented (but quiet) history of being a Nazi sympathizer. This speaker was welcomed by academics and writers on the Left. My friend made it his mission to get this speaker removed from the conference and make it widely known that this person was a Nazi sympathizer.
We extract a COST.
@DeliaChristina @irene Deadening the imagination has been a goal of education for decades.
-
@irene @DeliaChristina Wait, they taught it in school?
Like, actually talked about World War 2 in class?
@drwho @DeliaChristina oh yeah I believe that was a requirement of the peace agreement at the end of WW2 but even friends my age that were born in the 80s got this education that it is the responsibility of everyone to keep it from happening again. That is the sense that I got from talking to them but maybe it’s different depending on where in Germany you are from.
-
There was a video on Insta yesterday of a clean cut Nazi in a white button down and khaki pants proselytizing on a NYC train.
In any other timeline this MFer would have gotten his lights knocked out.
In *this* timeline?? Folks were silently listening to him like he was selling Amway and they were considering signing up. A young Black guy even said, Well I think everyone has to make up their own mind.
The ONLY person who was a speedbump to the Nazi's coercion was a woman yelling that he was a Nazi and he should wear his swastika armband if he's so proud of it and everyone could know who he is. The death glare he gave her...oof.
Y'all. Sitting silently and letting a literal Nazi recruit on a train is NOT how to meet this fucking moment. WTF.
-
Do people NOT know what white nationalists and American Neo Nazis want to see happen??
Like, when JD Vance says that Angie Nixon (a Black AMERICAN) doesn't belong in America, do folks not connect that dot to all the other dots happening??
@DeliaChristina This is the direct view of how the Nazis tried taking over in the 30s-40s. People should know their history. Knowing = easier identification.
-
@DeliaChristina Here's how I would handle this given the use of surveillance cameras on the subway:
1: stand directly under the camera
2: Taunt the Nazi. Insult his politics, call him a coward, challenge his supposed manhood.
3: wait for him to throw the first punch while the cameras roll
4: Block the punch and follow through with a single backfist to the side of the head. Down he goes and the cameras prove it is self-defense. If he doesn't go down, keep fighting until he does.
Note that this does not require doing anything I do not routinely practice on the heavy bag.
@LukefromDC @DeliaChristina That’s a neat little fanfic you’ve got there. What happens when you add a knife?
-
@drwho @DeliaChristina oh yeah I believe that was a requirement of the peace agreement at the end of WW2 but even friends my age that were born in the 80s got this education that it is the responsibility of everyone to keep it from happening again. That is the sense that I got from talking to them but maybe it’s different depending on where in Germany you are from.
@irene @DeliaChristina Where I grew up in the US, it was never taught. History stopped at 1890.ev at the very latest. We didn't hit WWI until I got to college.
-
Do people NOT know what white nationalists and American Neo Nazis want to see happen??
Like, when JD Vance says that Angie Nixon (a Black AMERICAN) doesn't belong in America, do folks not connect that dot to all the other dots happening??
@DeliaChristina Oh, but the leopards aren't going to eat THEIR faces.
-
@irene @DeliaChristina Where I grew up in the US, it was never taught. History stopped at 1890.ev at the very latest. We didn't hit WWI until I got to college.
@drwho @DeliaChristina yikes. I thought it was bad that my AP US history class never made it to Vietnam
-
@DeliaChristina sometimes I wonder if we’re just doomed to repeat WWII. Even after all the anti-Nazi propaganda in our movies for literally the last 80 years, somehow it didn’t work??
@irene @DeliaChristina
I, for one, don't believe that we're doomed to repeat World War 2, Irene.
Instead I'm convinced that we're being algorithmed into World War 3, and it's going to be A LOT worse than its predecessor. -
@irene @DeliaChristina Where I grew up in the US, it was never taught. History stopped at 1890.ev at the very latest. We didn't hit WWI until I got to college.
@drwho @irene @DeliaChristina seriously? wow. I had WWII covered at length in multiple history classes in california public schools, plus required reading pertaining to the holocaust in english classes. I was in school in the 90s and 00's
-
@drwho @irene @DeliaChristina seriously? wow. I had WWII covered at length in multiple history classes in california public schools, plus required reading pertaining to the holocaust in english classes. I was in school in the 90s and 00's
@gwenverbsnouns @drwho @DeliaChristina yeah we were taught in elementary school about the holocaust because we read the diaries of Anne Frank.
-
@irene @DeliaChristina
I, for one, don't believe that we're doomed to repeat World War 2, Irene.
Instead I'm convinced that we're being algorithmed into World War 3, and it's going to be A LOT worse than its predecessor.@Guillotine_Jones Feelz, ans most are sabre-wrattling straight in to propagandised hell. Willingly.
-
@LukefromDC @DeliaChristina That’s a neat little fanfic you’ve got there. What happens when you add a knife?
@WhiteCatTamer @DeliaChristina Depends entirely on who has the knife.
Then there's the "a Nazi brought a knife to a gunfight" scenario...
Finally, ther's the scenario where all the passengers jump the Nazi after one person starts it, fearing being stabbed one at a time otherwise
-
@drwho @DeliaChristina yikes. I thought it was bad that my AP US history class never made it to Vietnam
@irene @DeliaChristina In the sci.tech track at my high school, European history was required. US history was for the manufacturing.tech/votech track. We cleared the entire textbook that year but it stopped at 1850.ev.
What I know about everything after WW1 I know from my grandparents and reading books on my own time.
-
@WhiteCatTamer @DeliaChristina Depends entirely on who has the knife.
Then there's the "a Nazi brought a knife to a gunfight" scenario...
Finally, ther's the scenario where all the passengers jump the Nazi after one person starts it, fearing being stabbed one at a time otherwise
@LukefromDC @DeliaChristina I see we’re collecting charges today. That’s nice.
-
@gwenverbsnouns @drwho @DeliaChristina yeah we were taught in elementary school about the holocaust because we read the diaries of Anne Frank.
@irene @gwenverbsnouns @DeliaChristina We read it in eighth grade (after one or two families tried to get the book banned and got their hands slapped soundly), but that was pretty much it. Nothing in the way of actual history talked about it.
-
@LukefromDC @DeliaChristina I see we’re collecting charges today. That’s nice.
@WhiteCatTamer @DeliaChristina So long as the Nazi starts the physical action self defense is 100% legal. Any weapon you can legally carry will be legal to use against any opponent who draws on you first too. Finally, NYC's gun laws are on borrowed time with the current SCOTUS.
One special case: please DO NOT USE pepper spray in a subway car or more generally indoors! It will affect other people than the target.
-
@WhiteCatTamer @DeliaChristina So long as the Nazi starts the physical action self defense is 100% legal. Any weapon you can legally carry will be legal to use against any opponent who draws on you first too. Finally, NYC's gun laws are on borrowed time with the current SCOTUS.
One special case: please DO NOT USE pepper spray in a subway car or more generally indoors! It will affect other people than the target.
@LukefromDC @DeliaChristina Source: Trust Me Bro, LLC