Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. I just killed off my #Bluesky account today.

I just killed off my #Bluesky account today.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
blueskyfediverse
23 Indlæg 13 Posters 7 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM mattwebbdev@veganism.social

    I just killed off my #Bluesky account today. I started out on it about a month ago to see what things were like over there. At first, it briefly felt nostalgic to me; I was having memories of 2007-2010 twitter when it wasn't blatantly corporate.

    But, that feeling faded kinda quickly when I encountered Bluesky's algorithm. I was seeing the effect it had on users; there was an urgency for attention, jockeying for the quickest take on the trending topic, and the underlying quest for endless dopamine. People weren't communicating as much as they were performing for reactions.

    I tried to find my groove, or my people... but I felt like I was in alien territory. When I caught myself looking up how to build a following on that platform, that was the moment I pumped the brakes.

    Who I am shouldn't require a strategy on how to win over internet strangers. I am the person I am because I am confident and comfortable with who I've become.

    I closed the app, went back to the #fediverse.

    I haven't logged back in to Bluesky in a few weeks.

    Today, I decided to permanently logout.

    brianary@pnw.zoneB This user is from outside of this forum
    brianary@pnw.zoneB This user is from outside of this forum
    brianary@pnw.zone
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #5

    @mattwebbdev
    To be fair, you can pick as many algorithms there as you want.

    angozen@social.angozi.comA 1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM mattwebbdev@veganism.social

      I just killed off my #Bluesky account today. I started out on it about a month ago to see what things were like over there. At first, it briefly felt nostalgic to me; I was having memories of 2007-2010 twitter when it wasn't blatantly corporate.

      But, that feeling faded kinda quickly when I encountered Bluesky's algorithm. I was seeing the effect it had on users; there was an urgency for attention, jockeying for the quickest take on the trending topic, and the underlying quest for endless dopamine. People weren't communicating as much as they were performing for reactions.

      I tried to find my groove, or my people... but I felt like I was in alien territory. When I caught myself looking up how to build a following on that platform, that was the moment I pumped the brakes.

      Who I am shouldn't require a strategy on how to win over internet strangers. I am the person I am because I am confident and comfortable with who I've become.

      I closed the app, went back to the #fediverse.

      I haven't logged back in to Bluesky in a few weeks.

      Today, I decided to permanently logout.

      angozen@social.angozi.comA This user is from outside of this forum
      angozen@social.angozi.comA This user is from outside of this forum
      angozen@social.angozi.com
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #6

      @mattwebbdev I can relate; I feel calmer using Mastodon. At the same time though, I love the ATmosphere, and the fact that AT protocol allows people to actually own and move with their data.

      mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM 1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • brianary@pnw.zoneB brianary@pnw.zone

        @mattwebbdev
        To be fair, you can pick as many algorithms there as you want.

        angozen@social.angozi.comA This user is from outside of this forum
        angozen@social.angozi.comA This user is from outside of this forum
        angozen@social.angozi.com
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #7

        @brianary @mattwebbdev This is a very good point. If you stick to the following feed, or chronological feeds generally, its exactly like the mastodon experience, just more modern.

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM mattwebbdev@veganism.social

          I just killed off my #Bluesky account today. I started out on it about a month ago to see what things were like over there. At first, it briefly felt nostalgic to me; I was having memories of 2007-2010 twitter when it wasn't blatantly corporate.

          But, that feeling faded kinda quickly when I encountered Bluesky's algorithm. I was seeing the effect it had on users; there was an urgency for attention, jockeying for the quickest take on the trending topic, and the underlying quest for endless dopamine. People weren't communicating as much as they were performing for reactions.

          I tried to find my groove, or my people... but I felt like I was in alien territory. When I caught myself looking up how to build a following on that platform, that was the moment I pumped the brakes.

          Who I am shouldn't require a strategy on how to win over internet strangers. I am the person I am because I am confident and comfortable with who I've become.

          I closed the app, went back to the #fediverse.

          I haven't logged back in to Bluesky in a few weeks.

          Today, I decided to permanently logout.

          sproid@bohio.icuS This user is from outside of this forum
          sproid@bohio.icuS This user is from outside of this forum
          sproid@bohio.icu
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #8

          @mattwebbdev@veganism.social There's a leftover on your profile page.

          mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM 1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
            mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
            mattwebbdev@veganism.social
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #9

            @gins Thanks. Technically, I made Mastodon my home in 2018. Took some breaks, came back home every time.

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
              mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
              mattwebbdev@veganism.social
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #10

              @marymessall Really gotta wonder if that's being amplified for "engagement". I'd be all for a return to people chilling a bit.

              neilvandyke@mastodon.onlineN 1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • sproid@bohio.icuS sproid@bohio.icu

                @mattwebbdev@veganism.social There's a leftover on your profile page.

                mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                mattwebbdev@veganism.social
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #11

                @Sproid Yup, I gotta update a number of places now.

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • angozen@social.angozi.comA angozen@social.angozi.com

                  @mattwebbdev I can relate; I feel calmer using Mastodon. At the same time though, I love the ATmosphere, and the fact that AT protocol allows people to actually own and move with their data.

                  mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                  mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                  mattwebbdev@veganism.social
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #12

                  @angozen It's a protocol I started looking into for a little project I occasionally mess with. At the very least, I see no harm in tinkering with it for inspiration.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM mattwebbdev@veganism.social

                    @marymessall Really gotta wonder if that's being amplified for "engagement". I'd be all for a return to people chilling a bit.

                    neilvandyke@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                    neilvandyke@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                    neilvandyke@mastodon.online
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #13

                    @mattwebbdev @marymessall It's funny: I think a lot of people *should* be angry, and we need people to be angry (and to show up at the polls, etc.)... buuuuttt... being *constantly* angry and alarmed, for years, will wear out a person's body and mind, and anger alone will make them miserable the entire time it is happening.

                    I'm still trying to figure out how I can be a good fellow person, including to those most at risk right now, and also save my own skin, without unsustainable stress.

                    mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM 1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM mattwebbdev@veganism.social

                      I just killed off my #Bluesky account today. I started out on it about a month ago to see what things were like over there. At first, it briefly felt nostalgic to me; I was having memories of 2007-2010 twitter when it wasn't blatantly corporate.

                      But, that feeling faded kinda quickly when I encountered Bluesky's algorithm. I was seeing the effect it had on users; there was an urgency for attention, jockeying for the quickest take on the trending topic, and the underlying quest for endless dopamine. People weren't communicating as much as they were performing for reactions.

                      I tried to find my groove, or my people... but I felt like I was in alien territory. When I caught myself looking up how to build a following on that platform, that was the moment I pumped the brakes.

                      Who I am shouldn't require a strategy on how to win over internet strangers. I am the person I am because I am confident and comfortable with who I've become.

                      I closed the app, went back to the #fediverse.

                      I haven't logged back in to Bluesky in a few weeks.

                      Today, I decided to permanently logout.

                      hdunagan@mastodon.socialH This user is from outside of this forum
                      hdunagan@mastodon.socialH This user is from outside of this forum
                      hdunagan@mastodon.social
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #14

                      @mattwebbdev I have had MUCH more success interacting with people on Bluesky than on Mastodon. (I joined both at the same time when I jumped off Twitter.) So YMMV (your mileage my vary).

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • neilvandyke@mastodon.onlineN neilvandyke@mastodon.online

                        @mattwebbdev @marymessall It's funny: I think a lot of people *should* be angry, and we need people to be angry (and to show up at the polls, etc.)... buuuuttt... being *constantly* angry and alarmed, for years, will wear out a person's body and mind, and anger alone will make them miserable the entire time it is happening.

                        I'm still trying to figure out how I can be a good fellow person, including to those most at risk right now, and also save my own skin, without unsustainable stress.

                        mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                        mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                        mattwebbdev@veganism.social
                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                        #15

                        @neilvandyke @marymessall Start local. Food bank or clothes donations are always needed. I used to stress about this too, fearing I wasn't doing the right thing in the moment... but then I had to get my guilt in check. I can only do what I can do. If I help one person through kindness, or an act of support when they needed something I can part ways with... well, that's a win.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM mattwebbdev@veganism.social

                          I just killed off my #Bluesky account today. I started out on it about a month ago to see what things were like over there. At first, it briefly felt nostalgic to me; I was having memories of 2007-2010 twitter when it wasn't blatantly corporate.

                          But, that feeling faded kinda quickly when I encountered Bluesky's algorithm. I was seeing the effect it had on users; there was an urgency for attention, jockeying for the quickest take on the trending topic, and the underlying quest for endless dopamine. People weren't communicating as much as they were performing for reactions.

                          I tried to find my groove, or my people... but I felt like I was in alien territory. When I caught myself looking up how to build a following on that platform, that was the moment I pumped the brakes.

                          Who I am shouldn't require a strategy on how to win over internet strangers. I am the person I am because I am confident and comfortable with who I've become.

                          I closed the app, went back to the #fediverse.

                          I haven't logged back in to Bluesky in a few weeks.

                          Today, I decided to permanently logout.

                          ronanmcd@mastodon.greenR This user is from outside of this forum
                          ronanmcd@mastodon.greenR This user is from outside of this forum
                          ronanmcd@mastodon.green
                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                          #16

                          @mattwebbdev love your fourth paragraph there 💪

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM mattwebbdev@veganism.social

                            I just killed off my #Bluesky account today. I started out on it about a month ago to see what things were like over there. At first, it briefly felt nostalgic to me; I was having memories of 2007-2010 twitter when it wasn't blatantly corporate.

                            But, that feeling faded kinda quickly when I encountered Bluesky's algorithm. I was seeing the effect it had on users; there was an urgency for attention, jockeying for the quickest take on the trending topic, and the underlying quest for endless dopamine. People weren't communicating as much as they were performing for reactions.

                            I tried to find my groove, or my people... but I felt like I was in alien territory. When I caught myself looking up how to build a following on that platform, that was the moment I pumped the brakes.

                            Who I am shouldn't require a strategy on how to win over internet strangers. I am the person I am because I am confident and comfortable with who I've become.

                            I closed the app, went back to the #fediverse.

                            I haven't logged back in to Bluesky in a few weeks.

                            Today, I decided to permanently logout.

                            clickhere@mastodon.ieC This user is from outside of this forum
                            clickhere@mastodon.ieC This user is from outside of this forum
                            clickhere@mastodon.ie
                            wrote sidst redigeret af
                            #17

                            @mattwebbdev This so so relatable, and well done to you.

                            I still have an account there, technically, but I haven't logged in for many a year or so, since they updated their Ts & Cs that I didn't want to agree to - haven't looked back.

                            It's a strange vibe over there, plus all the super-dodgy decisions by the BSky owners/mods/whoever.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM mattwebbdev@veganism.social

                              I just killed off my #Bluesky account today. I started out on it about a month ago to see what things were like over there. At first, it briefly felt nostalgic to me; I was having memories of 2007-2010 twitter when it wasn't blatantly corporate.

                              But, that feeling faded kinda quickly when I encountered Bluesky's algorithm. I was seeing the effect it had on users; there was an urgency for attention, jockeying for the quickest take on the trending topic, and the underlying quest for endless dopamine. People weren't communicating as much as they were performing for reactions.

                              I tried to find my groove, or my people... but I felt like I was in alien territory. When I caught myself looking up how to build a following on that platform, that was the moment I pumped the brakes.

                              Who I am shouldn't require a strategy on how to win over internet strangers. I am the person I am because I am confident and comfortable with who I've become.

                              I closed the app, went back to the #fediverse.

                              I haven't logged back in to Bluesky in a few weeks.

                              Today, I decided to permanently logout.

                              F This user is from outside of this forum
                              F This user is from outside of this forum
                              failedlyndonlarouchite@mas.to
                              wrote sidst redigeret af
                              #18

                              @mattwebbdev

                              this is so well put
                              all these smart people, colleged educated, constantly vying to see who can have the hipest coolest hot take of the moment
                              and it never stops

                              on the other hand if you want US politics or US economics, bluesky has adult convos and masto doesnt - that is particularly true about economics

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              0
                              • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM mattwebbdev@veganism.social

                                I just killed off my #Bluesky account today. I started out on it about a month ago to see what things were like over there. At first, it briefly felt nostalgic to me; I was having memories of 2007-2010 twitter when it wasn't blatantly corporate.

                                But, that feeling faded kinda quickly when I encountered Bluesky's algorithm. I was seeing the effect it had on users; there was an urgency for attention, jockeying for the quickest take on the trending topic, and the underlying quest for endless dopamine. People weren't communicating as much as they were performing for reactions.

                                I tried to find my groove, or my people... but I felt like I was in alien territory. When I caught myself looking up how to build a following on that platform, that was the moment I pumped the brakes.

                                Who I am shouldn't require a strategy on how to win over internet strangers. I am the person I am because I am confident and comfortable with who I've become.

                                I closed the app, went back to the #fediverse.

                                I haven't logged back in to Bluesky in a few weeks.

                                Today, I decided to permanently logout.

                                F This user is from outside of this forum
                                F This user is from outside of this forum
                                failedlyndonlarouchite@mas.to
                                wrote sidst redigeret af
                                #19

                                @mattwebbdev

                                this is true in some ways
                                but, if you want adult convos on politics, it is much much easier to find stuff like this on bsky:

                                https://bsky.app/profile/sahilkapur.bsky.social/post/3mwo6sy2j2c2w

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM mattwebbdev@veganism.social

                                  I just killed off my #Bluesky account today. I started out on it about a month ago to see what things were like over there. At first, it briefly felt nostalgic to me; I was having memories of 2007-2010 twitter when it wasn't blatantly corporate.

                                  But, that feeling faded kinda quickly when I encountered Bluesky's algorithm. I was seeing the effect it had on users; there was an urgency for attention, jockeying for the quickest take on the trending topic, and the underlying quest for endless dopamine. People weren't communicating as much as they were performing for reactions.

                                  I tried to find my groove, or my people... but I felt like I was in alien territory. When I caught myself looking up how to build a following on that platform, that was the moment I pumped the brakes.

                                  Who I am shouldn't require a strategy on how to win over internet strangers. I am the person I am because I am confident and comfortable with who I've become.

                                  I closed the app, went back to the #fediverse.

                                  I haven't logged back in to Bluesky in a few weeks.

                                  Today, I decided to permanently logout.

                                  mancube@pnw.zoneM This user is from outside of this forum
                                  mancube@pnw.zoneM This user is from outside of this forum
                                  mancube@pnw.zone
                                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                                  #20

                                  @mattwebbdev i checked my follower count there and there's no way even 1/4 of them are real 😂

                                  mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM 1 Reply Last reply
                                  0
                                  • mancube@pnw.zoneM mancube@pnw.zone

                                    @mattwebbdev i checked my follower count there and there's no way even 1/4 of them are real 😂

                                    mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                                    mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                                    mattwebbdev@veganism.social
                                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                                    #21

                                    @mancube Your profile pic is one of the greatest things I've seen this month.

                                    mancube@pnw.zoneM 1 Reply Last reply
                                    0
                                    • mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM mattwebbdev@veganism.social

                                      @mancube Your profile pic is one of the greatest things I've seen this month.

                                      mancube@pnw.zoneM This user is from outside of this forum
                                      mancube@pnw.zoneM This user is from outside of this forum
                                      mancube@pnw.zone
                                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                                      #22

                                      @mattwebbdev thanks, it was a pretty good episode from the later seasons 🖥🔍📖

                                      1993 so maybe just after lawnmower man?

                                      mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM 1 Reply Last reply
                                      0
                                      • mancube@pnw.zoneM mancube@pnw.zone

                                        @mattwebbdev thanks, it was a pretty good episode from the later seasons 🖥🔍📖

                                        1993 so maybe just after lawnmower man?

                                        mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                                        mattwebbdev@veganism.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                                        mattwebbdev@veganism.social
                                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                                        #23

                                        @mancube That sounds about right! I vaguely remember seeing the commercial for that episode and kinda giggling about the premise

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        0
                                        • pelle@veganism.socialP pelle@veganism.social shared this topic
                                        Svar
                                        • Svar som emne
                                        Login for at svare
                                        • Ældste til nyeste
                                        • Nyeste til ældste
                                        • Most Votes


                                        • Log ind

                                        • Login or register to search.
                                        Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                                        Graciously hosted by data.coop
                                        • First post
                                          Last post
                                        0
                                        • Hjem
                                        • Seneste
                                        • Etiketter
                                        • Populære
                                        • Verden
                                        • Bruger
                                        • Grupper