Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. This is a modern motherfucking website.

This is a modern motherfucking website.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
103 Indlæg 49 Posters 0 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • idiot@shitposter.worldI idiot@shitposter.world
    @argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven
    >and you refuse to solve the inconvenience
    What's there to solve? It's not like "oh maybe I should emerge -avq media-gfx/super-duper-webp-thumbnailer to get this working in Emanuele's funny torment nexus" and that makes the problem of Google imposing this file format on the internet while bullying out the competition from loading in Blink-adjacent web browsers from going away. "Solving" the "inconvenience" involves dropping nukes or Alphabet getting trust-busted. What do you want from me?
    idiot@shitposter.worldI This user is from outside of this forum
    idiot@shitposter.worldI This user is from outside of this forum
    idiot@shitposter.world
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #66
    @argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven Like there's a world where I save every webp in its own little gulag folder and ask the slopalisk to pretty please write a script that detected things like alpha and animation and heuristically determine whether the webp that you posted should be converted into a jpeg, gif, png, or audio-less webm, and batch convert all the dogshit coming out of the internet pipe at once. That doesnt "solve" the "inconvenience," it just automates having to unfuck the internet, and it's still 100% my loss and 100% your gain.
    argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA 1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • idiot@shitposter.worldI idiot@shitposter.world
      @argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven
      >and you refuse to solve the inconvenience
      What's there to solve? It's not like "oh maybe I should emerge -avq media-gfx/super-duper-webp-thumbnailer to get this working in Emanuele's funny torment nexus" and that makes the problem of Google imposing this file format on the internet while bullying out the competition from loading in Blink-adjacent web browsers from going away. "Solving" the "inconvenience" involves dropping nukes or Alphabet getting trust-busted. What do you want from me?
      argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
      argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
      argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #67

      @idiot

      You mean to tell me this is literally the only thing about Windows that is causing you trouble?

      Not having a screenshot taken every 3 seconds and uploaded to Microsoft for AI training? Not the ads? Not Copilot in freaking Notepad? None of it?

      Okay then. 🤷‍♂️

      For the record, I did not suggest you install Gentoo or NetBSD. There's a whole spectrum between doing literally nothing and computing on ultra-nightmare mode.

      @chaekyung @lproven

      idiot@shitposter.worldI argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA 2 Replies Last reply
      0
      • argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org

        @idiot

        You mean to tell me this is literally the only thing about Windows that is causing you trouble?

        Not having a screenshot taken every 3 seconds and uploaded to Microsoft for AI training? Not the ads? Not Copilot in freaking Notepad? None of it?

        Okay then. 🤷‍♂️

        For the record, I did not suggest you install Gentoo or NetBSD. There's a whole spectrum between doing literally nothing and computing on ultra-nightmare mode.

        @chaekyung @lproven

        idiot@shitposter.worldI This user is from outside of this forum
        idiot@shitposter.worldI This user is from outside of this forum
        idiot@shitposter.world
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #68
        @argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven I didn't say I used Windows, I said there's two-hundred-and-thirty-thousand other people on the website at that snapshot in time and you have to convince ALL OF THEM.
        And I do use Gentoo, absolutely.
        argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA 1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org

          @idiot

          You mean to tell me this is literally the only thing about Windows that is causing you trouble?

          Not having a screenshot taken every 3 seconds and uploaded to Microsoft for AI training? Not the ads? Not Copilot in freaking Notepad? None of it?

          Okay then. 🤷‍♂️

          For the record, I did not suggest you install Gentoo or NetBSD. There's a whole spectrum between doing literally nothing and computing on ultra-nightmare mode.

          @chaekyung @lproven

          argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
          argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
          argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #69

          @idiot

          Also for the record, Alphabet getting trust-busted won't make WebP any less available or useful. People will still use it.

          Well, that or they might start using JPEG XL. Don't look now, but Chrome just added support for that too. I think Google finally relented on that because now they have a decoder written in Rust, so they don't have to worry about buffer overflow exploits…which WebP has had.

          I'm guessing Windows won't natively support that either, though.

          @chaekyung @lproven

          idiot@shitposter.worldI chaekyung@ieji.deC 2 Replies Last reply
          0
          • idiot@shitposter.worldI idiot@shitposter.world
            @argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven Like there's a world where I save every webp in its own little gulag folder and ask the slopalisk to pretty please write a script that detected things like alpha and animation and heuristically determine whether the webp that you posted should be converted into a jpeg, gif, png, or audio-less webm, and batch convert all the dogshit coming out of the internet pipe at once. That doesnt "solve" the "inconvenience," it just automates having to unfuck the internet, and it's still 100% my loss and 100% your gain.
            argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
            argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
            argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #70

            @idiot

            Wait, you're big mad about WebP but fine with WebM? 😵‍💫 Now I'm terribly confused.

            @chaekyung @lproven

            idiot@shitposter.worldI 1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • idiot@shitposter.worldI idiot@shitposter.world
              @argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven I didn't say I used Windows, I said there's two-hundred-and-thirty-thousand other people on the website at that snapshot in time and you have to convince ALL OF THEM.
              And I do use Gentoo, absolutely.
              argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
              argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
              argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #71

              @idiot

              What's the problem, then? The only trouble I've had with WebP is that I needed to separately install webp-pixbuf-loader to make WebP work in Inkscape, which is…annoying and arguably a distro bug, but whatever. The situation on Windows certainly isn't any better.

              @chaekyung @lproven

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org

                @idiot

                Also for the record, Alphabet getting trust-busted won't make WebP any less available or useful. People will still use it.

                Well, that or they might start using JPEG XL. Don't look now, but Chrome just added support for that too. I think Google finally relented on that because now they have a decoder written in Rust, so they don't have to worry about buffer overflow exploits…which WebP has had.

                I'm guessing Windows won't natively support that either, though.

                @chaekyung @lproven

                idiot@shitposter.worldI This user is from outside of this forum
                idiot@shitposter.worldI This user is from outside of this forum
                idiot@shitposter.world
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #72
                @argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven I had seen a conversation about it that convinced me that it should slot in next-to-transparently on any system or software that supported both, like we could eventually expect to have legacy jpegs and jpeg xls floating around with the same file extension and nobody would notice. I can't remember why I got that idea, maybe it's because it's a superset of the old format. Still, I've seen the benchmarks and I understand/at one point understood how the file formats fit together, and it's my personal horse in the file extension race.
                argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA 1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org

                  @idiot

                  So yeah, a vulnerable server-side thumbnail generator. Welp.

                  Does 4chan have unofficial client apps? That's the only reason I can think of to not generate thumbnails on the client side…

                  @chaekyung @lproven

                  m0xee@nosh0b10.m0xee.netM This user is from outside of this forum
                  m0xee@nosh0b10.m0xee.netM This user is from outside of this forum
                  m0xee@nosh0b10.m0xee.net
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #73
                  @argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
                  Letting the client upload a separate thumbnail for the image being submitted sounds like a bad idea — users are unlikely to appreciate finding shock content clicking on normally looking thumbnails. It also sounds like a moderation nightmare — because mods would have to check both: thumbnails AND original images.

                  @idiot@shitposter.world
                  argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA 1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org

                    @idiot

                    Wait, you're big mad about WebP but fine with WebM? 😵‍💫 Now I'm terribly confused.

                    @chaekyung @lproven

                    idiot@shitposter.worldI This user is from outside of this forum
                    idiot@shitposter.worldI This user is from outside of this forum
                    idiot@shitposter.world
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #74
                    @argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven Google did the same thing with VP8/VP9 less successfully and AV1 more prolifically that it did with webps, but the difference is that a) it was going up against MPEG-LA rather than every Tom, Dick, and Harry file format that just happened to lie outside the organization, and b) Google still has to support MPEG-4 and HEVC and whatever the successor is called in Blink, whereas it just shut out all the competing image file formats because fuck you, not invented here, we own the internet so just try and stop us. Same methods, different results. AV1 is a still piece of shit codec even if I'm glad it exists.
                    argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA 1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • lproven@social.vivaldi.netL lproven@social.vivaldi.net

                      This is a modern motherfucking website.

                      And it’s still fucking perfect.

                      https://modernmotherfuckingwebsite.dreamstation.systems/

                      bubbajet@mastodon.worldB This user is from outside of this forum
                      bubbajet@mastodon.worldB This user is from outside of this forum
                      bubbajet@mastodon.world
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #75

                      @lproven OMG, I'm gonna need a tissue after that. Beautiful.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • idiot@shitposter.worldI idiot@shitposter.world
                        @argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven I had seen a conversation about it that convinced me that it should slot in next-to-transparently on any system or software that supported both, like we could eventually expect to have legacy jpegs and jpeg xls floating around with the same file extension and nobody would notice. I can't remember why I got that idea, maybe it's because it's a superset of the old format. Still, I've seen the benchmarks and I understand/at one point understood how the file formats fit together, and it's my personal horse in the file extension race.
                        argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
                        argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
                        argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                        #76

                        @idiot

                        Nope:

                        $ jpeginfo test.jxl
                        test.jxl 0 x 0 0bit N 3680 ERROR Not a JPEG file: starts with 0xff 0x0a

                        It is possible to losslessly transcode from classic JPEG to JPEG XL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_XL#Upgrade_path but JPEG XL images apparently can't be decoded by classic JPEG decoders.

                        @chaekyung @lproven

                        idiot@shitposter.worldI 1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • lproven@social.vivaldi.netL lproven@social.vivaldi.net

                          This is a modern motherfucking website.

                          And it’s still fucking perfect.

                          https://modernmotherfuckingwebsite.dreamstation.systems/

                          django@social.coopD This user is from outside of this forum
                          django@social.coopD This user is from outside of this forum
                          django@social.coop
                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                          #77

                          @lproven good one!

                          though I should note it failed to learn the lessons of https://perfectmotherfuckingwebsite.com namely adding a few lines of css to avoid the wall to wall text on desktop 😉

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org

                            @idiot

                            Nope:

                            $ jpeginfo test.jxl
                            test.jxl 0 x 0 0bit N 3680 ERROR Not a JPEG file: starts with 0xff 0x0a

                            It is possible to losslessly transcode from classic JPEG to JPEG XL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_XL#Upgrade_path but JPEG XL images apparently can't be decoded by classic JPEG decoders.

                            @chaekyung @lproven

                            idiot@shitposter.worldI This user is from outside of this forum
                            idiot@shitposter.worldI This user is from outside of this forum
                            idiot@shitposter.world
                            wrote sidst redigeret af
                            #78
                            @argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven Yeah I went to skim Wikipedia to be more specific and realized that I invented the total interchangeability in my head. At least you can losslessly upgrade images, I'll take that over nothing.
                            1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • idiot@shitposter.worldI idiot@shitposter.world
                              @argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven Google did the same thing with VP8/VP9 less successfully and AV1 more prolifically that it did with webps, but the difference is that a) it was going up against MPEG-LA rather than every Tom, Dick, and Harry file format that just happened to lie outside the organization, and b) Google still has to support MPEG-4 and HEVC and whatever the successor is called in Blink, whereas it just shut out all the competing image file formats because fuck you, not invented here, we own the internet so just try and stop us. Same methods, different results. AV1 is a still piece of shit codec even if I'm glad it exists.
                              argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
                              argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
                              argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
                              wrote sidst redigeret af
                              #79

                              @idiot

                              Huh? Blink still supports the classic image formats (GIF, JPEG, PNG), AVIF, and now JPEG XL.

                              There are a bunch of other post-PNG image formats that it doesn't support, but that's because they're patented (HEIF, JPEG XR, JPEG 2000) and/or nobody else supports them either (MNG, FLIF, BPG).

                              @chaekyung @lproven

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              0
                              • m0xee@nosh0b10.m0xee.netM m0xee@nosh0b10.m0xee.net
                                @argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
                                Letting the client upload a separate thumbnail for the image being submitted sounds like a bad idea — users are unlikely to appreciate finding shock content clicking on normally looking thumbnails. It also sounds like a moderation nightmare — because mods would have to check both: thumbnails AND original images.

                                @idiot@shitposter.world
                                argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
                                argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
                                argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
                                wrote sidst redigeret af
                                #80

                                @m0xEE

                                Hmm yeah that's a problem. A malicious client could upload a thumbnail that's not representative of the full-size image. No way for the server to verify unless it has a format-specific decoder…which could contain vulnerabilities.

                                @idiot

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org

                                  @idiot

                                  …Is there an actual reason why 4chan rejects WebP?

                                  I would think the operator of an image board, of all things, would appreciate a new and improved image compression method.

                                  @lproven @chaekyung

                                  chaekyung@ieji.deC This user is from outside of this forum
                                  chaekyung@ieji.deC This user is from outside of this forum
                                  chaekyung@ieji.de
                                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                                  #81

                                  @argv_minus_one @idiot @lproven I don't think 4chan has changed a single line of code in it's backend the last 10 years and I'm not even sure the person operating it knows how it works or what any of the existing code does. I suspect we'd see any kind of improvement in the span of a decade if that wasn't the case.

                                  argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA 1 Reply Last reply
                                  0
                                  • chaekyung@ieji.deC chaekyung@ieji.de

                                    @argv_minus_one @idiot @lproven I don't think 4chan has changed a single line of code in it's backend the last 10 years and I'm not even sure the person operating it knows how it works or what any of the existing code does. I suspect we'd see any kind of improvement in the span of a decade if that wasn't the case.

                                    argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
                                    argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
                                    argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
                                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                                    #82

                                    @chaekyung

                                    I believe that's what kids these days call a “skill issue”. 😛

                                    @idiot @lproven

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    0
                                    • argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org

                                      @idiot

                                      Also for the record, Alphabet getting trust-busted won't make WebP any less available or useful. People will still use it.

                                      Well, that or they might start using JPEG XL. Don't look now, but Chrome just added support for that too. I think Google finally relented on that because now they have a decoder written in Rust, so they don't have to worry about buffer overflow exploits…which WebP has had.

                                      I'm guessing Windows won't natively support that either, though.

                                      @chaekyung @lproven

                                      chaekyung@ieji.deC This user is from outside of this forum
                                      chaekyung@ieji.deC This user is from outside of this forum
                                      chaekyung@ieji.de
                                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                                      #83

                                      @argv_minus_one @idiot @lproven It's been so long since I've read up on JPEG XL that I'd forgotten what it's all about so I decided to read up on it and...

                                      JPEG XL is obsolete. It's all about JPEG AI now. Because.. of course it is. It's not clear how it is superior to regular JPEG and JPEG XL but it has the "AI" and those letters are typically worth billions when they are attached to something, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's a toothbrush or a image format.

                                      argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA 1 Reply Last reply
                                      0
                                      • chaekyung@ieji.deC chaekyung@ieji.de

                                        @argv_minus_one @idiot @lproven It's been so long since I've read up on JPEG XL that I'd forgotten what it's all about so I decided to read up on it and...

                                        JPEG XL is obsolete. It's all about JPEG AI now. Because.. of course it is. It's not clear how it is superior to regular JPEG and JPEG XL but it has the "AI" and those letters are typically worth billions when they are attached to something, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's a toothbrush or a image format.

                                        argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
                                        argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.orgA This user is from outside of this forum
                                        argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
                                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                                        #84

                                        @chaekyung

                                        Because if there's one thing the world definitely needs, it's to occupy a whole entire data center full of GPUs just to decode one image. 🤦‍♂️

                                        @idiot @lproven

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        0
                                        • lproven@social.vivaldi.netL lproven@social.vivaldi.net

                                          This is a modern motherfucking website.

                                          And it’s still fucking perfect.

                                          https://modernmotherfuckingwebsite.dreamstation.systems/

                                          sbszine@dice.campS This user is from outside of this forum
                                          sbszine@dice.campS This user is from outside of this forum
                                          sbszine@dice.camp
                                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                                          #85

                                          @lproven Any recommendations for an HTML book that covers this sort of thing?

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          0
                                          Svar
                                          • Svar som emne
                                          Login for at svare
                                          • Ældste til nyeste
                                          • Nyeste til ældste
                                          • Most Votes


                                          • Log ind

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                                          Graciously hosted by data.coop
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Hjem
                                          • Seneste
                                          • Etiketter
                                          • Populære
                                          • Verden
                                          • Bruger
                                          • Grupper