This is a modern motherfucking website.
-
@argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven I had seen a conversation about it that convinced me that it should slot in next-to-transparently on any system or software that supported both, like we could eventually expect to have legacy jpegs and jpeg xls floating around with the same file extension and nobody would notice. I can't remember why I got that idea, maybe it's because it's a superset of the old format. Still, I've seen the benchmarks and I understand/at one point understood how the file formats fit together, and it's my personal horse in the file extension race.
Nope:
$ jpeginfo test.jxl
test.jxl 0 x 0 0bit N 3680 ERROR Not a JPEG file: starts with 0xff 0x0aIt is possible to losslessly transcode from classic JPEG to JPEG XL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_XL#Upgrade_path but JPEG XL images apparently can't be decoded by classic JPEG decoders.
-
This is a modern motherfucking website.
And it’s still fucking perfect.
@lproven good one!
though I should note it failed to learn the lessons of https://perfectmotherfuckingwebsite.com namely adding a few lines of css to avoid the wall to wall text on desktop

-
Nope:
$ jpeginfo test.jxl
test.jxl 0 x 0 0bit N 3680 ERROR Not a JPEG file: starts with 0xff 0x0aIt is possible to losslessly transcode from classic JPEG to JPEG XL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_XL#Upgrade_path but JPEG XL images apparently can't be decoded by classic JPEG decoders.
@argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven Yeah I went to skim Wikipedia to be more specific and realized that I invented the total interchangeability in my head. At least you can losslessly upgrade images, I'll take that over nothing. -
@argv_minus_one @chaekyung @lproven Google did the same thing with VP8/VP9 less successfully and AV1 more prolifically that it did with webps, but the difference is that a) it was going up against MPEG-LA rather than every Tom, Dick, and Harry file format that just happened to lie outside the organization, and b) Google still has to support MPEG-4 and HEVC and whatever the successor is called in Blink, whereas it just shut out all the competing image file formats because fuck you, not invented here, we own the internet so just try and stop us. Same methods, different results. AV1 is a still piece of shit codec even if I'm glad it exists.
Huh? Blink still supports the classic image formats (GIF, JPEG, PNG), AVIF, and now JPEG XL.
There are a bunch of other post-PNG image formats that it doesn't support, but that's because they're patented (HEIF, JPEG XR, JPEG 2000) and/or nobody else supports them either (MNG, FLIF, BPG).
-
@argv_minus_one@mastodon.sdf.org
Letting the client upload a separate thumbnail for the image being submitted sounds like a bad idea — users are unlikely to appreciate finding shock content clicking on normally looking thumbnails. It also sounds like a moderation nightmare — because mods would have to check both: thumbnails AND original images.
@idiot@shitposter.world -
…Is there an actual reason why 4chan rejects WebP?
I would think the operator of an image board, of all things, would appreciate a new and improved image compression method.
@argv_minus_one @idiot @lproven I don't think 4chan has changed a single line of code in it's backend the last 10 years and I'm not even sure the person operating it knows how it works or what any of the existing code does. I suspect we'd see any kind of improvement in the span of a decade if that wasn't the case.
-
@argv_minus_one @idiot @lproven I don't think 4chan has changed a single line of code in it's backend the last 10 years and I'm not even sure the person operating it knows how it works or what any of the existing code does. I suspect we'd see any kind of improvement in the span of a decade if that wasn't the case.
-
Also for the record, Alphabet getting trust-busted won't make WebP any less available or useful. People will still use it.
Well, that or they might start using JPEG XL. Don't look now, but Chrome just added support for that too. I think Google finally relented on that because now they have a decoder written in Rust, so they don't have to worry about buffer overflow exploits…which WebP has had.
I'm guessing Windows won't natively support that either, though.
@argv_minus_one @idiot @lproven It's been so long since I've read up on JPEG XL that I'd forgotten what it's all about so I decided to read up on it and...
JPEG XL is obsolete. It's all about JPEG AI now. Because.. of course it is. It's not clear how it is superior to regular JPEG and JPEG XL but it has the "AI" and those letters are typically worth billions when they are attached to something, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's a toothbrush or a image format.
-
@argv_minus_one @idiot @lproven It's been so long since I've read up on JPEG XL that I'd forgotten what it's all about so I decided to read up on it and...
JPEG XL is obsolete. It's all about JPEG AI now. Because.. of course it is. It's not clear how it is superior to regular JPEG and JPEG XL but it has the "AI" and those letters are typically worth billions when they are attached to something, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's a toothbrush or a image format.
Because if there's one thing the world definitely needs, it's to occupy a whole entire data center full of GPUs just to decode one image.
️ -
This is a modern motherfucking website.
And it’s still fucking perfect.
@lproven Any recommendations for an HTML book that covers this sort of thing?
-
@lproven what are the motherfucking maths on a motherfucking website options?
MathJax works pretty well, though it is JavaScript. I suppose the point here is to avoid unnecessary JavaScriptt though. So is MathJax motherfucking maths?
There's MathML but with a significant amount of maths, the file size is huge compared to the MathJax version.
Pre-generate svg with lazy loading? I've never tried that...
Some other option?
-
This is a modern motherfucking website.
And it’s still fucking perfect.
@lproven
"It’s tags. You type them. With your fingers. Into a file."THIS!
-
My org's site has an 86kB JPEG that compresses down to a 28kB WebP without noticeably degrading the image. In another case, 233kB JPEG compresses down to 121kB WebP.
I can live without it, of course. If I must use classic JPEG for some reason, then I will. But I am impressed.
That said, these are not hand-tuned JPEGs. They're just blindly compressed at quality 92. I could do better by hand-tuning with GIMP's quality settings. But I probably won't beat WebP.
@argv_minus_one @lproven Well, save an image in GIMP using the same settings for both formats. You'll find WebP's are a bit smaller, but not all that much. The big problem I have with WebP is it isn't backward compatible with the older systems that I and many people use every day. To archive WebP images I have to convert them to JPEG first so all of my computers can see them. It's a pain.
-
This is a modern motherfucking website.
And it’s still fucking perfect.
@lproven Decent stuff, aside from the "someone just learned the F word" vibes.
-
Nice!
Not sure if that approach would work for me though. For example:
https://pabryan.au/dg-2025/notes/notes_linear_algebra/The site itself is not motherfucking yet - it's a bit heavy on Boostrap and JavaScript. That's a project I've been meaning to get to for a while now. This discussion has prompted me to get started though!
-
This is a modern motherfucking website.
And it’s still fucking perfect.
It is. 🥰
-
This is a modern motherfucking website.
And it’s still fucking perfect.
BTW, I am very happy that so many people are enjoying this motherfucking website.
But just for clarity: it's not mine. I didn't create it. I just shared it.
It's by Robin Reel:
https://dreamstation.systems/personal/
It's a tribute to the original Motherfucking Website:
https://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
Designed by Barry T Smith:
-
BTW, I am very happy that so many people are enjoying this motherfucking website.
But just for clarity: it's not mine. I didn't create it. I just shared it.
It's by Robin Reel:
https://dreamstation.systems/personal/
It's a tribute to the original Motherfucking Website:
https://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
Designed by Barry T Smith:
@lproven There is W3C Core Styles with it's sample HTML https://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/Core/stylebot.html?family=8&doc=Sampler
It would be very nice if W3C updated those with modern CSS and some of the newer HTML elements with MathML/SVG
-
@lproven It kinda pisses me off that Javadocs ditched frames in favor of whatever opaque crap they’re using now. Total retrograde slide!
@su_liam@mas.to @lproven@vivaldi.net I have a VM with jdk 11-ish specifically to create javadocs now.
-
This is a modern motherfucking website.
And it’s still fucking perfect.
@lproven me actually:
