Testdriving Thunderbird (actually Betterbird) & it works fine, but it looks like some kind of 90's holdover corporate backend database thing...
-
RE: https://helvede.net/@jwcph/117416982549972515
Testdriving Thunderbird (actually Betterbird) & it works fine, but it looks like some kind of 90's holdover corporate backend database thing...
What I'm saying is, it's fuck-ugly & the interface controls are ridiculous & insufficient.
Any other ones I should try?
-
RE: https://helvede.net/@jwcph/117416982549972515
Testdriving Thunderbird (actually Betterbird) & it works fine, but it looks like some kind of 90's holdover corporate backend database thing...
What I'm saying is, it's fuck-ugly & the interface controls are ridiculous & insufficient.
Any other ones I should try?
@jwcph Why judge a program by its looks and not by its functionality?
-
@jwcph Why judge a program by its looks and not by its functionality?
@simonjust Because appearance = UX = functionality & also because I'm a design nerd

-
@simonjust Because appearance = UX = functionality & also because I'm a design nerd

@jwcph I agree, yet I sometimes encounter pretty apps that has forgotten its keyboard shortcuts

-
@jwcph I agree, yet I sometimes encounter pretty apps that has forgotten its keyboard shortcuts

@simonjust Surely - but ugly apps will most certainly do that sometimes, too.
-
RE: https://helvede.net/@jwcph/117416982549972515
Testdriving Thunderbird (actually Betterbird) & it works fine, but it looks like some kind of 90's holdover corporate backend database thing...
What I'm saying is, it's fuck-ugly & the interface controls are ridiculous & insufficient.
Any other ones I should try?
@jwcph I havenāt got on with it terribly well, but also havenāt found anything better. Iāve run my own email server for the last few years so donāt have the same removal of service concerns⦠on clients I miss apple mail for simplicity and clean design - havenāt had a Mac for a few years now.
-
@jwcph I havenāt got on with it terribly well, but also havenāt found anything better. Iāve run my own email server for the last few years so donāt have the same removal of service concerns⦠on clients I miss apple mail for simplicity and clean design - havenāt had a Mac for a few years now.
@jwcph I found everything that offered the same simplicity and clean design also didnāt work properly in some important way.
-
@jwcph I havenāt got on with it terribly well, but also havenāt found anything better. Iāve run my own email server for the last few years so donāt have the same removal of service concerns⦠on clients I miss apple mail for simplicity and clean design - havenāt had a Mac for a few years now.
@Wifiwits I'm trying to avoid Big Tech
ļø & therefore I wasn't going to use Apple Mail, but I just gave it a whirl & I can't even verify my StartMail account.... I also can't test drive MailBird for the same reason, leading me to suspect it's some MacOS security theater bullshit that gets in the way of making my own decisions but doesn't actually keep me safe 
- which Thunder/Betterbird somehow isn't subject to, so yay for that, but fuuuuuuck me, why does it have to be this way!? š¤¬
-
J jwcph@helvede.net shared this topic
-
@simonjust Surely - but ugly apps will most certainly do that sometimes, too.
@simonjust Also, I just discovered that Thunder/Betterbird search is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life š¤¬
𤮠I literally thought I'd opened some developer interface by mistake. Since I use search a lot this is going to be a dealbreaker - I simply have to get something better than this nonsense, apparently designed by an alien who is also insane & hates me personally.
-
@Wifiwits I'm trying to avoid Big Tech
ļø & therefore I wasn't going to use Apple Mail, but I just gave it a whirl & I can't even verify my StartMail account.... I also can't test drive MailBird for the same reason, leading me to suspect it's some MacOS security theater bullshit that gets in the way of making my own decisions but doesn't actually keep me safe 
- which Thunder/Betterbird somehow isn't subject to, so yay for that, but fuuuuuuck me, why does it have to be this way!? š¤¬
@jwcph that we still have a plethora of email clients that fundamentally donāt work is slightly baffling.