"I have nothing to hide."
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
-
@Tutanota "I have nothing to hide" ... "How did the scammer got my phone number?"
"I have nothing to hide" ... "What is all this spam I'm getting?"
"I have nothing to hide" ... "How did you know I was going to this restaurant?"
"I have nothing to hide" ... "Why's this advertisement so accurate?"
"I have nothing to hide" ... "Data breach? What? My medical records are in?!"
"I have nothing to hide" ... 'Security Message: Someone logged into your account'..."I don't remember logging in today."
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota @Catfish_Man Turn to someone and look directly at them with dead eyes and tell them ‘I know when your kids leave for school in the morning, and when they leave school in the afternoon, and the routes they take’.
And watch them freak the fuck out.
Weird how that happens.
-
@pnairolf even funnier, sometimes illegallness may backpropagate! The fact, that it was legal back then, doesn't guarantee anything
like, by Russian constitution, laws cannot have reverse power, but then they introduced concept of «ongoing crime»
basically, if you posted something, while it's still available — it's subject to the most recent law. You posted a quote of an opposition politician, and don't removed it when they were declared extremist? You're now guilty of spreading extremist information. No, forgetting is not an excuse
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota when your boss badly want to know where you stand on tax policy, trust me, you have a lot to hide from people that have no right to intrude in your life.
-
@The_Universality @Tutanota Nixon -> Richard -> Dick
@crazyeddie
Well, in case you decide for a pig I suggest Donald, with or without the surname.
@The_Universality @Tutanota -
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota I have nothing to show.
-
@Tutanota I have nothing to show.
-
@Tutanota I tried what that guy on YouTube said: when people tell me they have nothing to hide I ask them to share their email password with me. I promise to do no wrong at all, I'd just login occasionally, read some emails and leave. No damage, no writing, no deleting, no traces left. So far they all refused

@pepintheshort @Tutanota you should have also asked for their door key (actually, you could even ask why they have one), promising that you won't touch anything, just share photos of their household goods to everyone you know...
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
-
@SoftwareTheron @Tutanota Two crossbows!
...
Wait.
WAIT!
(This is actually the first time someone suggested this. But I wouldn't find this one that harmful.)
-
@SoftwareTheron @Tutanota Two crossbows!
...
Wait.
WAIT!
(This is actually the first time someone suggested this. But I wouldn't find this one that harmful.)
@The_Universality @Tutanota
Perhaps you remember "the gummint's coming for our guns!!" ? -
@The_Universality @Tutanota
Perhaps you remember "the gummint's coming for our guns!!" ?@SoftwareTheron No. This is the first time I hear about this.
-
@SoftwareTheron No. This is the first time I hear about this.
@The_Universality
Too American, perhaps? (Not that I am.)
Or maybe too old. -
@The_Universality
Too American, perhaps? (Not that I am.)
Or maybe too old.@SoftwareTheron I'm from EU Member State and not even old.
Still I don't know to what event is that refering to nor what were the arguments.
-
@SoftwareTheron I'm from EU Member State and not even old.
Still I don't know to what event is that refering to nor what were the arguments.
@The_Universality
I'm old.There was, and probably still is, a claim among some right-wing Americans that they have guns to protect them from the state, and that the state is continually trying to constrain their ownership of weapons.
The same people claim(-ed) to believe strongly that only those with something to hide should be frightened by intrusive law enforcement and data-gathering. Generally, what they actually meant was "The cops are on our side and we should be able to know everything about you". Especially in an LGBTQ+ context. Not illegal, but being strongly resisted by exactly these people.
I wish I'd thought to point this contradiction out to them when I knew some, in the very early days of social media.
-
@The_Universality
I'm old.There was, and probably still is, a claim among some right-wing Americans that they have guns to protect them from the state, and that the state is continually trying to constrain their ownership of weapons.
The same people claim(-ed) to believe strongly that only those with something to hide should be frightened by intrusive law enforcement and data-gathering. Generally, what they actually meant was "The cops are on our side and we should be able to know everything about you". Especially in an LGBTQ+ context. Not illegal, but being strongly resisted by exactly these people.
I wish I'd thought to point this contradiction out to them when I knew some, in the very early days of social media.
@SoftwareTheron That is indeed contradicting statement from their side, then.
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota@mastodon.social
I hope the one saying that would stand by that when someone leaked their secrets.
Similarly for nation-states. -
@Tutanota@mastodon.social
I hope the one saying that would stand by that when someone leaked their secrets.
Similarly for nation-states.@Tutanota@mastodon.social
They don't get to "right to know", "need to know" etc etc for them and "nothing to hide" for us. -
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota One of the reasons I recently moved all sensitive communications off Gmail: I had made a doctor's appointment and was subsequently presented with ads everywhere for conditions I made have because Gmail had registered me as going to that specialist. No separate Google searches on the issue, just one email and they targeted me accordingly. Gmail will use everything you do and write on that platform to feed their profile of you.

