"I have nothing to hide."
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
-
@SoftwareTheron @Tutanota Two crossbows!
...
Wait.
WAIT!
(This is actually the first time someone suggested this. But I wouldn't find this one that harmful.)
-
@SoftwareTheron @Tutanota Two crossbows!
...
Wait.
WAIT!
(This is actually the first time someone suggested this. But I wouldn't find this one that harmful.)
@The_Universality @Tutanota
Perhaps you remember "the gummint's coming for our guns!!" ? -
@The_Universality @Tutanota
Perhaps you remember "the gummint's coming for our guns!!" ?@SoftwareTheron No. This is the first time I hear about this.
-
@SoftwareTheron No. This is the first time I hear about this.
@The_Universality
Too American, perhaps? (Not that I am.)
Or maybe too old. -
@The_Universality
Too American, perhaps? (Not that I am.)
Or maybe too old.@SoftwareTheron I'm from EU Member State and not even old.
Still I don't know to what event is that refering to nor what were the arguments.
-
@SoftwareTheron I'm from EU Member State and not even old.
Still I don't know to what event is that refering to nor what were the arguments.
@The_Universality
I'm old.There was, and probably still is, a claim among some right-wing Americans that they have guns to protect them from the state, and that the state is continually trying to constrain their ownership of weapons.
The same people claim(-ed) to believe strongly that only those with something to hide should be frightened by intrusive law enforcement and data-gathering. Generally, what they actually meant was "The cops are on our side and we should be able to know everything about you". Especially in an LGBTQ+ context. Not illegal, but being strongly resisted by exactly these people.
I wish I'd thought to point this contradiction out to them when I knew some, in the very early days of social media.
-
@The_Universality
I'm old.There was, and probably still is, a claim among some right-wing Americans that they have guns to protect them from the state, and that the state is continually trying to constrain their ownership of weapons.
The same people claim(-ed) to believe strongly that only those with something to hide should be frightened by intrusive law enforcement and data-gathering. Generally, what they actually meant was "The cops are on our side and we should be able to know everything about you". Especially in an LGBTQ+ context. Not illegal, but being strongly resisted by exactly these people.
I wish I'd thought to point this contradiction out to them when I knew some, in the very early days of social media.
@SoftwareTheron That is indeed contradicting statement from their side, then.
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota@mastodon.social
I hope the one saying that would stand by that when someone leaked their secrets.
Similarly for nation-states. -
@Tutanota@mastodon.social
I hope the one saying that would stand by that when someone leaked their secrets.
Similarly for nation-states.@Tutanota@mastodon.social
They don't get to "right to know", "need to know" etc etc for them and "nothing to hide" for us. -
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota One of the reasons I recently moved all sensitive communications off Gmail: I had made a doctor's appointment and was subsequently presented with ads everywhere for conditions I made have because Gmail had registered me as going to that specialist. No separate Google searches on the issue, just one email and they targeted me accordingly. Gmail will use everything you do and write on that platform to feed their profile of you.
-
@Tutanota One of the reasons I recently moved all sensitive communications off Gmail: I had made a doctor's appointment and was subsequently presented with ads everywhere for conditions I made have because Gmail had registered me as going to that specialist. No separate Google searches on the issue, just one email and they targeted me accordingly. Gmail will use everything you do and write on that platform to feed their profile of you.
@radundtat Wow, that's incredible.
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota What you feel you need to hide isn't really up to you. That's imposed on you by social and political circumstances and those change over time.
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota The Tuta intern has been killing it lately.
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota did you stole this phrase to someone else too?
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota Stop! This is 100% true!
-
@whybird @SoftwareTheron Hmmm.
One could ask if they so conveniently forgotten about their task, whether they wished to fulfill it in the first place.
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota
Just as I lament the lack of basic understanding of the humanities (history, philosophy, ethics, the arts, etc) across the general public, I often wish that the general public understood basic opsec and digital hygiene. Why is it not taught in high schools? -
@whybird @SoftwareTheron Hmmm.
One could ask if they so conveniently forgotten about their task, whether they wished to fulfill it in the first place.
@The_Universality @whybird
Oh for sure, it was always a lie.Not being able to rub their noses in it is the only thing I regret about not being in contact with them any more.
-
@Tutanota
Just as I lament the lack of basic understanding of the humanities (history, philosophy, ethics, the arts, etc) across the general public, I often wish that the general public understood basic opsec and digital hygiene. Why is it not taught in high schools?