"I have nothing to hide."
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota And privacy is a basic right, not a privilege for people with nothing to hide.
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota Right. If I ain't got nothing to hide I ain't got no life.
At this point I think it's our psychology we want to hide the most. It's also the toughest now. If we don't, then we're fed exactly what is needed to make us think the way certain people want us to think. So if you want to think for yourself, protect your psychology and don't let people know it too well.
Don't cast your pearl before swine.
But again, if you don't care to think for yourself--if you don't like it--then ...
-
@Tutanota I tried what that guy on YouTube said: when people tell me they have nothing to hide I ask them to share their email password with me. I promise to do no wrong at all, I'd just login occasionally, read some emails and leave. No damage, no writing, no deleting, no traces left. So far they all refused

@pepintheshort @Tutanota Did you offer them anything?
Someone did that to me but they offered me a free email account and I said, "Yeah, sure...whatever. Here you go."
I've heard a coke can go a long way. Give someone a Coke and then ask your ridiculous favor.
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota And louder for the folks in the back: Orwell's 1984 was a *warning* not an *instruction manual*.
And yet? Here we are.
-
@Tutanota "I have nothing to hide" ... "How did the scammer got my phone number?"
"I have nothing to hide" ... "What is all this spam I'm getting?"
"I have nothing to hide" ... "How did you know I was going to this restaurant?"
"I have nothing to hide" ... "Why's this advertisement so accurate?"
"I have nothing to hide" ... "Data breach? What? My medical records are in?!"
"I have nothing to hide" ... 'Security Message: Someone logged into your account'..."I don't remember logging in today."
@The_Universality @Tutanota "I have nothing to hide." ... "Why am I being arrested for having my Nixon out?"
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota I personally don't care who knows any of that shit about me, but people who do care should have a choice, and that choice should be opt in, not opt out.
-
@Tutanota I tried what that guy on YouTube said: when people tell me they have nothing to hide I ask them to share their email password with me. I promise to do no wrong at all, I'd just login occasionally, read some emails and leave. No damage, no writing, no deleting, no traces left. So far they all refused

@pepintheshort @Tutanota but they don't have anything to hide, so I don't understand.
on what basis did they not give you the password???
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota Law enforcement's members have political and personal motivations, beyond what the law requires, so everyone has someone to hide.
-
@pepintheshort @Tutanota Did you offer them anything?
Someone did that to me but they offered me a free email account and I said, "Yeah, sure...whatever. Here you go."
I've heard a coke can go a long way. Give someone a Coke and then ask your ridiculous favor.
@crazyeddie @Tutanota sure I'll send you a voucher for a coke from Amazon if you share your password with me
-
@pepintheshort @Tutanota but they don't have anything to hide, so I don't understand.
on what basis did they not give you the password???
@falcennial @Tutanota that's a great question!

-
@crazyeddie @Tutanota sure I'll send you a voucher for a coke from Amazon if you share your password with me
@pepintheshort @Tutanota I don't know it

-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota
That's what I keep telling people. The usual answer is just: "Yeah, but why should anybody be interested in this?"
Well, I don't know. But some people are. Isn't this fact enough to be concerned?
-
i like the sequence:
i have nothing to hide. but that is also none of your business -
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
That's why we should own our own data and decide who gets to access it
-
@The_Universality @Tutanota "I have nothing to hide." ... "Why am I being arrested for having my Nixon out?"
@crazyeddie @Tutanota What is Nixon? This is the first time I hear about this.
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota I stopped arguing with people that says that. Because they even doesn't care if their medical history and everything gets leaked.
-
@Tutanota I tried what that guy on YouTube said: when people tell me they have nothing to hide I ask them to share their email password with me. I promise to do no wrong at all, I'd just login occasionally, read some emails and leave. No damage, no writing, no deleting, no traces left. So far they all refused

@pepintheshort @Tutanota there was a teacher on fedi some time ago (sorry, don't remember who) that said their students would often say they have nothing to hide. And when they did, they would tell them "okay good, tell the rest of the class about the last time you masturbated", and the entire class immediately got it.
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota isn't "I have nothing to hide" used when someone doesn't have any evidence against them on something.
-
@crazyeddie @Tutanota What is Nixon? This is the first time I hear about this.
@The_Universality @Tutanota Nixon -> Richard -> Dick
-
"I have nothing to hide."
False.
You have medical history
You have financial behavior
You have location patterns
You have political views
You have relationship data
Privacy was never about hiding crimes. It was always about owning your life.
@Tutanota@mastodon.social I think saying to the people using the argument never realize how much they care about their own privacy. They think that having “nothing to hide” is some sort of a virtue, something to strive for, because that’s what good people have and good people don’t get into trouble - and you just can’t argue with a person’s belief of their own virtuousness if you want to persuade them.
“What would you like to show to complete strangers?” yields far more privacy-minded answers in my experience, or “What are you okay with giving away about yourself?”