Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. I think I need to share an experience I just had recently.

I think I need to share an experience I just had recently.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
44 Indlæg 19 Posters 5 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

    I think I need to share an experience I just had recently.

    I was talking with an elder, in his mid-80s. He was showing me pictures, and showed me his wife’s “grandson” — cue photo of a stunningly fashionable young woman, wow does she know how to dress — “except he's trans, he did his trans-…he transitioned…”

    ME: Does your grandkid use “she” pronouns now?

    HIM: Yes!

    ME: So she's your granddaughter now, I think?

    HIM: Yes!!

    And he switched to using she/her and did not switch back for the rest of the conversation.

    There's more…

    1/

    inthehands@hachyderm.ioI This user is from outside of this forum
    inthehands@hachyderm.ioI This user is from outside of this forum
    inthehands@hachyderm.io
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #2

    I went out on a limb a bit. I talked about how in the course of teaching college I'd known several students through the length of their transition, before and after — and in every one of those cases, it felt like a weight had lifted, like there was this feeling of “Ah!! •That’s• who you are!” Like when they cleaned the Sistine Chapel, when they lifted this layer of grime away, and suddenly there were all these incredible colors.

    He grabbed my hand with both of his, looked me straight in the eye, and said with sudden earnestness, “Paul, I agree •completely•. Thank you. Thank you.”

    2/

    inthehands@hachyderm.ioI snoopj@hachyderm.ioS geonz@mathstodon.xyzG 3 Replies Last reply
    0
    • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

      I went out on a limb a bit. I talked about how in the course of teaching college I'd known several students through the length of their transition, before and after — and in every one of those cases, it felt like a weight had lifted, like there was this feeling of “Ah!! •That’s• who you are!” Like when they cleaned the Sistine Chapel, when they lifted this layer of grime away, and suddenly there were all these incredible colors.

      He grabbed my hand with both of his, looked me straight in the eye, and said with sudden earnestness, “Paul, I agree •completely•. Thank you. Thank you.”

      2/

      inthehands@hachyderm.ioI This user is from outside of this forum
      inthehands@hachyderm.ioI This user is from outside of this forum
      inthehands@hachyderm.io
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #3

      I happen to know that this is man is quite conservative in a lot of ways. He's steeped in the Foxosphere to a degree that alarms his relatives. I know he was a huge Trump supporter the first time around, and I'm pretty sure he was this time too.

      And even stewing in those juices, even •he• is just ready to see the world change for the better for trans people.

      I know with all of the horrifying backsliding we've seen these last few years, it feels like there's no hope for trans people. And…yeah, these really are dire, dire times. Dire. It is •horrifying• what's been coming to the political surface. But damnit…beneath the surface, the tectonic plates are moving. Despair, rage, lament, yes…but do not give up hope.

      /end

      violetmadder@kolektiva.socialV chrisamaphone@hci.socialC geonz@mathstodon.xyzG nomdeb@mstdn.socialN 4 Replies Last reply
      0
      • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

        I happen to know that this is man is quite conservative in a lot of ways. He's steeped in the Foxosphere to a degree that alarms his relatives. I know he was a huge Trump supporter the first time around, and I'm pretty sure he was this time too.

        And even stewing in those juices, even •he• is just ready to see the world change for the better for trans people.

        I know with all of the horrifying backsliding we've seen these last few years, it feels like there's no hope for trans people. And…yeah, these really are dire, dire times. Dire. It is •horrifying• what's been coming to the political surface. But damnit…beneath the surface, the tectonic plates are moving. Despair, rage, lament, yes…but do not give up hope.

        /end

        violetmadder@kolektiva.socialV This user is from outside of this forum
        violetmadder@kolektiva.socialV This user is from outside of this forum
        violetmadder@kolektiva.social
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #4

        @inthehands

        Awww, wholesome. 🥰

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

          I went out on a limb a bit. I talked about how in the course of teaching college I'd known several students through the length of their transition, before and after — and in every one of those cases, it felt like a weight had lifted, like there was this feeling of “Ah!! •That’s• who you are!” Like when they cleaned the Sistine Chapel, when they lifted this layer of grime away, and suddenly there were all these incredible colors.

          He grabbed my hand with both of his, looked me straight in the eye, and said with sudden earnestness, “Paul, I agree •completely•. Thank you. Thank you.”

          2/

          snoopj@hachyderm.ioS This user is from outside of this forum
          snoopj@hachyderm.ioS This user is from outside of this forum
          snoopj@hachyderm.io
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #5

          @inthehands that is a beautiful way to put it, thank you

          1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

            I happen to know that this is man is quite conservative in a lot of ways. He's steeped in the Foxosphere to a degree that alarms his relatives. I know he was a huge Trump supporter the first time around, and I'm pretty sure he was this time too.

            And even stewing in those juices, even •he• is just ready to see the world change for the better for trans people.

            I know with all of the horrifying backsliding we've seen these last few years, it feels like there's no hope for trans people. And…yeah, these really are dire, dire times. Dire. It is •horrifying• what's been coming to the political surface. But damnit…beneath the surface, the tectonic plates are moving. Despair, rage, lament, yes…but do not give up hope.

            /end

            chrisamaphone@hci.socialC This user is from outside of this forum
            chrisamaphone@hci.socialC This user is from outside of this forum
            chrisamaphone@hci.social
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #6

            @inthehands the discrepancies between how people express their politics in terms of abstract "issues" and how they behave on a human-to-human level can be really bewildering. but i think a lot of it is just we're a lot less different from each other than each of us is from the ruling class of any political party

            benroyce@mastodon.socialB pooserville@dice.campP 2 Replies Last reply
            0
            • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

              I think I need to share an experience I just had recently.

              I was talking with an elder, in his mid-80s. He was showing me pictures, and showed me his wife’s “grandson” — cue photo of a stunningly fashionable young woman, wow does she know how to dress — “except he's trans, he did his trans-…he transitioned…”

              ME: Does your grandkid use “she” pronouns now?

              HIM: Yes!

              ME: So she's your granddaughter now, I think?

              HIM: Yes!!

              And he switched to using she/her and did not switch back for the rest of the conversation.

              There's more…

              1/

              P This user is from outside of this forum
              P This user is from outside of this forum
              pizzadoesntexist@mastodon.social
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #7

              @inthehands 🤨

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

                I happen to know that this is man is quite conservative in a lot of ways. He's steeped in the Foxosphere to a degree that alarms his relatives. I know he was a huge Trump supporter the first time around, and I'm pretty sure he was this time too.

                And even stewing in those juices, even •he• is just ready to see the world change for the better for trans people.

                I know with all of the horrifying backsliding we've seen these last few years, it feels like there's no hope for trans people. And…yeah, these really are dire, dire times. Dire. It is •horrifying• what's been coming to the political surface. But damnit…beneath the surface, the tectonic plates are moving. Despair, rage, lament, yes…but do not give up hope.

                /end

                geonz@mathstodon.xyzG This user is from outside of this forum
                geonz@mathstodon.xyzG This user is from outside of this forum
                geonz@mathstodon.xyz
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #8

                @inthehands So awesome.
                Now if we could get him to generalize a little 😉 To consider other humans in other families... and the effect one's vote has...

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • chrisamaphone@hci.socialC chrisamaphone@hci.social

                  @inthehands the discrepancies between how people express their politics in terms of abstract "issues" and how they behave on a human-to-human level can be really bewildering. but i think a lot of it is just we're a lot less different from each other than each of us is from the ruling class of any political party

                  benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
                  benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
                  benroyce@mastodon.social
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #9

                  @chrisamaphone @inthehands

                  not to ruin paul's story, because it's a good one and that's not my intent

                  but conservatives compartmentalize

                  they will say black people this, black people that

                  then they will say a black person they are friendly with is "one of the good ones" and their ugly racism doesn't apply

                  in this way they preserve their teflon bigotry

                  i don't know how to attack this. "hypocrite!" is something conservatives are completely immune to. they just go through life like this

                  demonhouser@kind.socialD inthehands@hachyderm.ioI sea1am@mastodon.socialS 3 Replies Last reply
                  0
                  • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

                    I went out on a limb a bit. I talked about how in the course of teaching college I'd known several students through the length of their transition, before and after — and in every one of those cases, it felt like a weight had lifted, like there was this feeling of “Ah!! •That’s• who you are!” Like when they cleaned the Sistine Chapel, when they lifted this layer of grime away, and suddenly there were all these incredible colors.

                    He grabbed my hand with both of his, looked me straight in the eye, and said with sudden earnestness, “Paul, I agree •completely•. Thank you. Thank you.”

                    2/

                    geonz@mathstodon.xyzG This user is from outside of this forum
                    geonz@mathstodon.xyzG This user is from outside of this forum
                    geonz@mathstodon.xyz
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #10

                    @inthehands I'm glad he could have that moment 😉 🙂

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • chrisamaphone@hci.socialC chrisamaphone@hci.social

                      @inthehands the discrepancies between how people express their politics in terms of abstract "issues" and how they behave on a human-to-human level can be really bewildering. but i think a lot of it is just we're a lot less different from each other than each of us is from the ruling class of any political party

                      pooserville@dice.campP This user is from outside of this forum
                      pooserville@dice.campP This user is from outside of this forum
                      pooserville@dice.camp
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #11

                      @chrisamaphone @inthehands 25 years ago I worked for a company that did audiovisual for corporate meetings/events. And one of the audio freelancers transitioned, and sent an email to the audio department head letting him know what was up and that she'd understand if the company didn't want to hire her.
                      The audio department head, who was a raging homophobe who told me once that he voted Republican every election because he didn't want his son to see two men kissing and think that was OK… [1/2]

                      pooserville@dice.campP 1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • pooserville@dice.campP pooserville@dice.camp

                        @chrisamaphone @inthehands 25 years ago I worked for a company that did audiovisual for corporate meetings/events. And one of the audio freelancers transitioned, and sent an email to the audio department head letting him know what was up and that she'd understand if the company didn't want to hire her.
                        The audio department head, who was a raging homophobe who told me once that he voted Republican every election because he didn't want his son to see two men kissing and think that was OK… [1/2]

                        pooserville@dice.campP This user is from outside of this forum
                        pooserville@dice.campP This user is from outside of this forum
                        pooserville@dice.camp
                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                        #12

                        @chrisamaphone @inthehands ... that guy sent out an email to the whole audio department that read in part
                        "I don't understand why she made this decision, but I don't have to. <Deadname> WAS a part of the family and <Newname> IS a part of the family and if you don't want to work with her you can request to be assigned to a different show but we are not going to make HER work around YOUR issues."

                        We are vast; we contain multitudes. And sometime the most unlikely folks do the right thing.

                        [2/2]

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • benroyce@mastodon.socialB benroyce@mastodon.social

                          @chrisamaphone @inthehands

                          not to ruin paul's story, because it's a good one and that's not my intent

                          but conservatives compartmentalize

                          they will say black people this, black people that

                          then they will say a black person they are friendly with is "one of the good ones" and their ugly racism doesn't apply

                          in this way they preserve their teflon bigotry

                          i don't know how to attack this. "hypocrite!" is something conservatives are completely immune to. they just go through life like this

                          demonhouser@kind.socialD This user is from outside of this forum
                          demonhouser@kind.socialD This user is from outside of this forum
                          demonhouser@kind.social
                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                          #13

                          @benroyce @chrisamaphone @inthehands the way to combat it is a ton of patience and exposure therapy.

                          My father grew up as the son of a cop in southern Texas. To say he was conservative is an understatement. He then immediately out of high school joined the military and ended up in Desert Storm.

                          For YEARS my dad has been suspicious of and racist towards anyone who looks even a little middle eastern.
                          1/

                          demonhouser@kind.socialD blogdiva@mastodon.socialB 2 Replies Last reply
                          0
                          • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

                            I think I need to share an experience I just had recently.

                            I was talking with an elder, in his mid-80s. He was showing me pictures, and showed me his wife’s “grandson” — cue photo of a stunningly fashionable young woman, wow does she know how to dress — “except he's trans, he did his trans-…he transitioned…”

                            ME: Does your grandkid use “she” pronouns now?

                            HIM: Yes!

                            ME: So she's your granddaughter now, I think?

                            HIM: Yes!!

                            And he switched to using she/her and did not switch back for the rest of the conversation.

                            There's more…

                            1/

                            trainguyrom@techhub.socialT This user is from outside of this forum
                            trainguyrom@techhub.socialT This user is from outside of this forum
                            trainguyrom@techhub.social
                            wrote sidst redigeret af
                            #14

                            @inthehands I always think of the line from Men in Black "a person is smart but people are dumb scared animals and you know it!"

                            I've found that with most Republican voters, if you stay away from the big talking points and don't say anything party-specific you can almost always have a productive policy conversation and they'll generally agree with liberal or even "far-left" (by American standards) policy positions. Sometimes it'll be more agree to disagree, but they'll still be far more open to policy that is too liberal for most Democrats to touch than rhetoric would have you believe

                            Changing the world takes one individual conversation like this at a time. Plant those seeds with enough individuals and maybe we can have a slightly less toxic political world?

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • demonhouser@kind.socialD demonhouser@kind.social

                              @benroyce @chrisamaphone @inthehands the way to combat it is a ton of patience and exposure therapy.

                              My father grew up as the son of a cop in southern Texas. To say he was conservative is an understatement. He then immediately out of high school joined the military and ended up in Desert Storm.

                              For YEARS my dad has been suspicious of and racist towards anyone who looks even a little middle eastern.
                              1/

                              demonhouser@kind.socialD This user is from outside of this forum
                              demonhouser@kind.socialD This user is from outside of this forum
                              demonhouser@kind.social
                              wrote sidst redigeret af
                              #15

                              @benroyce @chrisamaphone @inthehands then he was assigned a family to Deacon for (in Baptist churches each family has a specific Deacon they can go to) that was new to his church. Said family was Iraqi immigrants displaced for supporting the US.

                              He was, sort of obviously, very uncomfortable around them. But to his credit, he shoved those emotions deep down and treated them like any other family he was assigned.
                              2/

                              demonhouser@kind.socialD 1 Reply Last reply
                              0
                              • demonhouser@kind.socialD demonhouser@kind.social

                                @benroyce @chrisamaphone @inthehands then he was assigned a family to Deacon for (in Baptist churches each family has a specific Deacon they can go to) that was new to his church. Said family was Iraqi immigrants displaced for supporting the US.

                                He was, sort of obviously, very uncomfortable around them. But to his credit, he shoved those emotions deep down and treated them like any other family he was assigned.
                                2/

                                demonhouser@kind.socialD This user is from outside of this forum
                                demonhouser@kind.socialD This user is from outside of this forum
                                demonhouser@kind.social
                                wrote sidst redigeret af
                                #16

                                @benroyce @chrisamaphone @inthehands

                                Eventually he had some introspection, realized that he likely had undiagnosed PTSD from his service, which was leading to these feelings. Once he realized that, a lot of that hatred and judgement dissolved, and he's so much better now.

                                It's obviously different from the trans conversation, but I think most people don't hate naturally, they were made to hate, and the best cure for hate is patience and exposure.
                                /End

                                benroyce@mastodon.socialB 1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • demonhouser@kind.socialD demonhouser@kind.social

                                  @benroyce @chrisamaphone @inthehands

                                  Eventually he had some introspection, realized that he likely had undiagnosed PTSD from his service, which was leading to these feelings. Once he realized that, a lot of that hatred and judgement dissolved, and he's so much better now.

                                  It's obviously different from the trans conversation, but I think most people don't hate naturally, they were made to hate, and the best cure for hate is patience and exposure.
                                  /End

                                  benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
                                  benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
                                  benroyce@mastodon.social
                                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                                  #17

                                  @DemonHouser @chrisamaphone @inthehands

                                  you reminded me of LBJ's arc

                                  dude was hella racist

                                  and yet it was he who browbeat fellow democrats into getting us the 1964 civil rights act

                                  such a seminal act it triggered all the dixiecrat racists to migrate out of the democratic party to the GOP giving us our reality today

                                  people can change

                                  npars01@mstdn.socialN 1 Reply Last reply
                                  0
                                  • benroyce@mastodon.socialB benroyce@mastodon.social

                                    @chrisamaphone @inthehands

                                    not to ruin paul's story, because it's a good one and that's not my intent

                                    but conservatives compartmentalize

                                    they will say black people this, black people that

                                    then they will say a black person they are friendly with is "one of the good ones" and their ugly racism doesn't apply

                                    in this way they preserve their teflon bigotry

                                    i don't know how to attack this. "hypocrite!" is something conservatives are completely immune to. they just go through life like this

                                    inthehands@hachyderm.ioI This user is from outside of this forum
                                    inthehands@hachyderm.ioI This user is from outside of this forum
                                    inthehands@hachyderm.io
                                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                                    #18

                                    @benroyce @chrisamaphone

                                    That's a good sort of general-sometimes-often kind of principle, but I'm not sure it's the correct analysis in this case.

                                    I know that he went through a whole process of becoming accepting of gay & lesbian folks in general, and that was a real journey for him — but no compartmentalizing on that front now, he’s good across the board.

                                    I suspect that trans acceptance is something he’s come to quicker than some of his peers, and he’d •like• to be accepting but maybe isn’t sure how that’s going to be received. The conversation I recounted, it’s almost like he was asking for my permission to be accepting, and was really relieved when I was cool with that. Not so much compartmentalizing as “coming out as accepting,” if that makes sense.

                                    benroyce@mastodon.socialB jackmexa4@mastodon.socialJ 2 Replies Last reply
                                    0
                                    • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

                                      @benroyce @chrisamaphone

                                      That's a good sort of general-sometimes-often kind of principle, but I'm not sure it's the correct analysis in this case.

                                      I know that he went through a whole process of becoming accepting of gay & lesbian folks in general, and that was a real journey for him — but no compartmentalizing on that front now, he’s good across the board.

                                      I suspect that trans acceptance is something he’s come to quicker than some of his peers, and he’d •like• to be accepting but maybe isn’t sure how that’s going to be received. The conversation I recounted, it’s almost like he was asking for my permission to be accepting, and was really relieved when I was cool with that. Not so much compartmentalizing as “coming out as accepting,” if that makes sense.

                                      benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
                                      benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
                                      benroyce@mastodon.social
                                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                                      #19

                                      @inthehands @chrisamaphone

                                      again, you have an exquisite post, and my intention was not to crap all over it. i was reticent to post but i went ahead anyways because:

                                      yes, people can change. they do

                                      we just need to be aware of certain other classes of behaviors

                                      so an abstraction out from the discussion you sparked. not a diminution of it

                                      inthehands@hachyderm.ioI 1 Reply Last reply
                                      0
                                      • benroyce@mastodon.socialB benroyce@mastodon.social

                                        @inthehands @chrisamaphone

                                        again, you have an exquisite post, and my intention was not to crap all over it. i was reticent to post but i went ahead anyways because:

                                        yes, people can change. they do

                                        we just need to be aware of certain other classes of behaviors

                                        so an abstraction out from the discussion you sparked. not a diminution of it

                                        inthehands@hachyderm.ioI This user is from outside of this forum
                                        inthehands@hachyderm.ioI This user is from outside of this forum
                                        inthehands@hachyderm.io
                                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                                        #20

                                        @benroyce @chrisamaphone

                                        Understood, and no offense taken. I reply just because people's inner lives are really messy and complicated and hard to guess at, and there's a whole of different reasons for the political contradictions we see in people — some of those reasons very hopeful. I just want to make sure to recognize that.

                                        benroyce@mastodon.socialB 1 Reply Last reply
                                        0
                                        • inthehands@hachyderm.ioI inthehands@hachyderm.io

                                          @benroyce @chrisamaphone

                                          Understood, and no offense taken. I reply just because people's inner lives are really messy and complicated and hard to guess at, and there's a whole of different reasons for the political contradictions we see in people — some of those reasons very hopeful. I just want to make sure to recognize that.

                                          benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
                                          benroyce@mastodon.socialB This user is from outside of this forum
                                          benroyce@mastodon.social
                                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                                          #21

                                          @inthehands @chrisamaphone

                                          if you say so, i'll delete my comment

                                          you have a beautiful inspiring tale

                                          and i come in and do mundane bullshit

                                          inthehands@hachyderm.ioI 1 Reply Last reply
                                          0
                                          Svar
                                          • Svar som emne
                                          Login for at svare
                                          • Ældste til nyeste
                                          • Nyeste til ældste
                                          • Most Votes


                                          • Log ind

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                                          Graciously hosted by data.coop
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Hjem
                                          • Seneste
                                          • Etiketter
                                          • Populære
                                          • Verden
                                          • Bruger
                                          • Grupper