What the actual fuck is this email?!??!!!
-
@sundogplanets Maybe send back as much garbage text as your email provider will let you! If it does process it, it will cost them lots of money!
@jackemled @sundogplanets Maybe send this: https://www.scs.stanford.edu/~dm/home/papers/remove.pdf
This was sent to a journal that is all too happy to print whatever provided you're willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it and they were sick of getting emails from the journal so they sent this
-
@ChemicalEyeGuy nice one!
-
@sundogplanets
Happy Goats

-
What the actual fuck is this email?!??!!!
@sundogplanets there was one of these worthless mails to a typewriter mailing list I am on! I .. hate this timeline!
-
@sundogplanets AI is terrible for citations. Citations are a huge part of my job (I edit at a journal). All of us journal people are trying to send up the alarm about how much AI screws up citations, and no one is listening. If you ask AI to format your citations it will mess up all your DOIs and make things that look right but are not at all.
JAMA has written a thing on this, which is polite and journal-speak for "oh god, oh god, do not let AI touch your citations": https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2852772
@rednikki @sundogplanets This week someone told me they just throw it all in an LLM to figure out their citations. I almost flipped the table.
-
@violetmadder @4raylee @sundogplanets not so plain old FUD, but still manipulative but now highly automated and precisely tuned and strategically inaccurate?
@pinhman @4raylee @sundogplanets
Social engineering trained on hundreds of thousands of therapy appointments, among other things. Yes.
The Nazis would swoon at the possibilities.
-
@sundogplanets AI is terrible for citations. Citations are a huge part of my job (I edit at a journal). All of us journal people are trying to send up the alarm about how much AI screws up citations, and no one is listening. If you ask AI to format your citations it will mess up all your DOIs and make things that look right but are not at all.
JAMA has written a thing on this, which is polite and journal-speak for "oh god, oh god, do not let AI touch your citations": https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2852772
@rednikki @sundogplanets Actually, this explains a lot as I often see some really weird dois in student essays and I can't work out how they constructed them.
-
@jackemled @sundogplanets Maybe send this: https://www.scs.stanford.edu/~dm/home/papers/remove.pdf
This was sent to a journal that is all too happy to print whatever provided you're willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it and they were sick of getting emails from the journal so they sent this
@trebach @sundogplanets I remember this! Really funny.
-
What the actual fuck is this email?!??!!!
@sundogplanets It's happening more often. One agent subscribed and posted to a mailing list I'm on, much to the mods' chagrin.
-
@sundogplanets @bunnyhero @ernie
That article suggests reporting iLands to the FTC, but I do not know what the equivalent on your side of the line would be?
@michael_w_busch @sundogplanets @bunnyhero Spam laws are actually stronger in Canada than the U.S. Info here:
-
@sundogplanets It's happening more often. One agent subscribed and posted to a mailing list I'm on, much to the mods' chagrin.
@sundogplanets Chairman Bruce got a few such emails last month, too.
-
@sundogplanets Dear $DEITY, they've automated mansplaining.
@nivex @sundogplanets hah, that's hilarious. Not sure if it was intended, but $DEITY is very funny in light of the AI-singularity-billionaire-stockmarket-fascism nexus
-
What the actual fuck is this email?!??!!!
@sundogplanets yeaaaah I would not respond to that email ever… it says it’s an Ai agent and I would instead probably go contact the people (actual people) who are working on papers or anyone named in the email to rectify this if at all… but this is just my humble opinion

Better yet, go get some needed cuddling from
-(insert fuzzy or fluffy animal here) -
🩷 -
@michael_w_busch @sundogplanets @bunnyhero Spam laws are actually stronger in Canada than the U.S. Info here:
@ernie @sundogplanets @bunnyhero
I am jealous of places with regulators that actually regulate.
-
That scam has been going around lately -@molly0xfff wrote about being targeted a couple of weeks ago.
The scheme appears to be running people's work through the slop generator, using their replying as a screen for potential marks, and then trying to get them to pay the iLands company money to get more of the slop.
(iLands is supposedly operated by one Kaixin Tang, who has been involved with various "AI" startups.)
@michael_w_busch @sundogplanets
404 media also recently had a story about iLands the hosting provider for AI agents begging for money.
https://www.404media.co/ai-agent-platform-reinvents-spam-floods-inboxes-worldwide/
-
What the actual fuck is this email?!??!!!
@sundogplanets
I believe the technical name is "some bullshit" -
What the actual fuck is this email?!??!!!
@sundogplanets Welcome to the club.
-
@jackemled @sundogplanets Maybe send this: https://www.scs.stanford.edu/~dm/home/papers/remove.pdf
This was sent to a journal that is all too happy to print whatever provided you're willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it and they were sick of getting emails from the journal so they sent this
@trebach @jackemled @sundogplanets This was an absolute classic.
-
What the actual fuck is this email?!??!!!
@sundogplanets A bunch of cods swallow.
Sources are probably hallucinated. Nothing there seems legit.
Report it as a scam! I would.
all the way down, and that’s why wankers love
it so much!