Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. I just got a shock.

I just got a shock.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
mastodon
46 Indlæg 12 Posters 0 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

    I just got a shock. I want the old design back!!! 😭
    It was a matter of seconds, and the Design of #Mastodon changed.

    Usually, I have nothing against design changes. But if it hits me so unprepared that I think my browser has a bug ...
    A real bug is that I have to make an extra click for writing a post now and get a much too small pop up field down at the right (not at eye's height)! I have to search for notifications ... it's less intuitive than before.

    @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

    hhttg@mastodon.onlineH This user is from outside of this forum
    hhttg@mastodon.onlineH This user is from outside of this forum
    hhttg@mastodon.online
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #15

    @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff
    Same here. Besides being totally non-intuitiv I can't find today's trends which I've activated in the preferences. And to write a new toot I need to click on the "New post" button on the left which opens the edit window on the right of the screen. Who thought this was a great idea? The new UI just looks like a colossal waste of space.

    hhttg@mastodon.onlineH naturemc@mastodon.onlineN hatetsu@mastodon.com.plH 3 Replies Last reply
    0
    • pepijn@mastodon.onlineP pepijn@mastodon.online

      Same here. This is not an UI change but a change in functionality. No search box, not using the space on my screen (desktop) or wasting the space on my screen with whitespace (phonebrowser, I only see two posts maximum at a time).

      This can't have been tested with a variety of users right? I still wonder whether something simply went wrong.

      @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

      pepijn@mastodon.onlineP This user is from outside of this forum
      pepijn@mastodon.onlineP This user is from outside of this forum
      pepijn@mastodon.online
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #16

      Someone commented it looks like X. That makes me think what this looks like is an attempt to change a social media platform into a broadcasting platform where "big voices" are seen but comments, discussion and minor voices are drawn out.

      Simply scrolling down my feed that is the impression you get now.

      @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

      naturemc@mastodon.onlineN 1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • pepijn@mastodon.onlineP pepijn@mastodon.online

        Same here. This is not an UI change but a change in functionality. No search box, not using the space on my screen (desktop) or wasting the space on my screen with whitespace (phonebrowser, I only see two posts maximum at a time).

        This can't have been tested with a variety of users right? I still wonder whether something simply went wrong.

        @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

        naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
        naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
        naturemc@mastodon.online
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #17

        @Pepijn Search is now hidden behind Explore (not at all intuitive). I can't edit the alt texts anymore (bug?), I need an extra click "new post" which sends a very small pop up to the right bottom instead of the height of my eyes like before ... everything's smaller, so many flaws ...
        I DO HOPE that they'll get a better version.

        @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

        1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • hhttg@mastodon.onlineH hhttg@mastodon.online

          @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff
          Same here. Besides being totally non-intuitiv I can't find today's trends which I've activated in the preferences. And to write a new toot I need to click on the "New post" button on the left which opens the edit window on the right of the screen. Who thought this was a great idea? The new UI just looks like a colossal waste of space.

          hhttg@mastodon.onlineH This user is from outside of this forum
          hhttg@mastodon.onlineH This user is from outside of this forum
          hhttg@mastodon.online
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #18

          @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff
          Sorry, @NatureMC,for ranting against the UI here in your thread. I'm just in shock and anger.
          Besides I had to cut my previous post because the UI kept telling me that using 480 of 500 text characters is just too long 😒.

          naturemc@mastodon.onlineN mastodonengineering@mastodon.socialM 2 Replies Last reply
          0
          • hhttg@mastodon.onlineH hhttg@mastodon.online

            @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff
            Same here. Besides being totally non-intuitiv I can't find today's trends which I've activated in the preferences. And to write a new toot I need to click on the "New post" button on the left which opens the edit window on the right of the screen. Who thought this was a great idea? The new UI just looks like a colossal waste of space.

            naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
            naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
            naturemc@mastodon.online
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #19

            @hhttg This! And yes, the trends are gone ...

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • pepijn@mastodon.onlineP pepijn@mastodon.online

              Someone commented it looks like X. That makes me think what this looks like is an attempt to change a social media platform into a broadcasting platform where "big voices" are seen but comments, discussion and minor voices are drawn out.

              Simply scrolling down my feed that is the impression you get now.

              @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

              naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
              naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
              naturemc@mastodon.online
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #20

              @Pepijn I’m starting to lose all interest in using Mastodon. I’m going to spend a bit of time on Bluesky. 😉

              @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

              pepijn@mastodon.onlineP 1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                @LaimesKudikis Yes. And Likes/Boosts with their numbers got more prominent, as if they try to copy the big platforms now.

                @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

                hhttg@mastodon.onlineH This user is from outside of this forum
                hhttg@mastodon.onlineH This user is from outside of this forum
                hhttg@mastodon.online
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #21

                @NatureMC That's exactly what I thought after getting over the first wave of "what-the-hell-has-happened-here".

                1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                  @Pepijn I’m starting to lose all interest in using Mastodon. I’m going to spend a bit of time on Bluesky. 😉

                  @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

                  pepijn@mastodon.onlineP This user is from outside of this forum
                  pepijn@mastodon.onlineP This user is from outside of this forum
                  pepijn@mastodon.online
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #22

                  @NatureMC Hah 🙂 From this update it seems @MastodonEngineering also prefers the not-social model of social-media Bluesky is designed for.

                  @Mastodon @staff

                  naturemc@mastodon.onlineN mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM 2 Replies Last reply
                  0
                  • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                    @andijah I hope that they still learn from our feedback.

                    hhttg@mastodon.onlineH This user is from outside of this forum
                    hhttg@mastodon.onlineH This user is from outside of this forum
                    hhttg@mastodon.online
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #23

                    @NatureMC @andijah
                    I hope they are not treading the same path as Mozilla does UI-wise.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • hhttg@mastodon.onlineH hhttg@mastodon.online

                      @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff
                      Sorry, @NatureMC,for ranting against the UI here in your thread. I'm just in shock and anger.
                      Besides I had to cut my previous post because the UI kept telling me that using 480 of 500 text characters is just too long 😒.

                      naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                      naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                      naturemc@mastodon.online
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #24

                      @hhttg I rant too, no problem!
                      Meanwhile I'm so angry: yes, i had the same problem with the character limit, I tried 3 times to post something under 500 characters in vain.
                      To publish such a slop version ... wait, perhaps it was vibe coding? 🥶

                      @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

                      hhttg@mastodon.onlineH renchap@oisaur.comR 2 Replies Last reply
                      0
                      • pepijn@mastodon.onlineP pepijn@mastodon.online

                        @NatureMC Hah 🙂 From this update it seems @MastodonEngineering also prefers the not-social model of social-media Bluesky is designed for.

                        @Mastodon @staff

                        naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                        naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                        naturemc@mastodon.online
                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                        #25

                        @Pepijn I was serious about switching to Bluesky for the rest of the day (I have an account there). It looks better and works well. 😁

                        @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                          @hhttg I rant too, no problem!
                          Meanwhile I'm so angry: yes, i had the same problem with the character limit, I tried 3 times to post something under 500 characters in vain.
                          To publish such a slop version ... wait, perhaps it was vibe coding? 🥶

                          @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

                          hhttg@mastodon.onlineH This user is from outside of this forum
                          hhttg@mastodon.onlineH This user is from outside of this forum
                          hhttg@mastodon.online
                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                          #26

                          @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • pepijn@mastodon.onlineP pepijn@mastodon.online

                            @NatureMC Hah 🙂 From this update it seems @MastodonEngineering also prefers the not-social model of social-media Bluesky is designed for.

                            @Mastodon @staff

                            mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM This user is from outside of this forum
                            mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM This user is from outside of this forum
                            mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafe
                            wrote sidst redigeret af mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafe
                            #27

                            @Pepijn @NatureMC

                            You are both on mastodon.online. That server runs version "v4.8.0-nightly.2026-10-05", which sounds a little too on-the-edge for a 8K user instance.

                            Version "v4.7.3" is the latest official release:

                            https://github.com/mastodon/mastodon/releases

                            naturemc@mastodon.onlineN 1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • hhttg@mastodon.onlineH hhttg@mastodon.online

                              @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff
                              Same here. Besides being totally non-intuitiv I can't find today's trends which I've activated in the preferences. And to write a new toot I need to click on the "New post" button on the left which opens the edit window on the right of the screen. Who thought this was a great idea? The new UI just looks like a colossal waste of space.

                              hatetsu@mastodon.com.plH This user is from outside of this forum
                              hatetsu@mastodon.com.plH This user is from outside of this forum
                              hatetsu@mastodon.com.pl
                              wrote sidst redigeret af
                              #28

                              @hhttg @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff …That's odd, the lower-right corner had a smaller button to open the composer in the mockups they showed off a couple months ago

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              0
                              • mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafe

                                @Pepijn @NatureMC

                                You are both on mastodon.online. That server runs version "v4.8.0-nightly.2026-10-05", which sounds a little too on-the-edge for a 8K user instance.

                                Version "v4.7.3" is the latest official release:

                                https://github.com/mastodon/mastodon/releases

                                naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                                naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                                naturemc@mastodon.online
                                wrote sidst redigeret af
                                #29

                                @mjack I know that they test every new version on our instance. Therefore, I rant at once that they see what they did. 😉
                                They plan it for all .... https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2026/08/5.0-laying-the-foundation/

                                @Pepijn

                                mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM 1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                                  @mjack I know that they test every new version on our instance. Therefore, I rant at once that they see what they did. 😉
                                  They plan it for all .... https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2026/08/5.0-laying-the-foundation/

                                  @Pepijn

                                  mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM This user is from outside of this forum
                                  mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM This user is from outside of this forum
                                  mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafe
                                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                                  #30

                                  @NatureMC @Pepijn

                                  I've never noticed the difference between mastodon.social and mastodon.online before, but if they are using mastodon.online as a test bed, that should be shown prominently on the About page. I don't think:

                                  "A newer server of Mastodon, operated by Mastodon GmbH for the common good"

                                  quite covers it.

                                  https://mastodon.online/about

                                  naturemc@mastodon.onlineN 1 Reply Last reply
                                  0
                                  • mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafe

                                    @NatureMC @Pepijn

                                    I've never noticed the difference between mastodon.social and mastodon.online before, but if they are using mastodon.online as a test bed, that should be shown prominently on the About page. I don't think:

                                    "A newer server of Mastodon, operated by Mastodon GmbH for the common good"

                                    quite covers it.

                                    https://mastodon.online/about

                                    naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                                    naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                                    naturemc@mastodon.online
                                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                                    #31

                                    @mjack I have no influence on it (both instances are run by Mastodon, and are the first for changings). https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2026/08/5.0-laying-the-foundation/

                                    Give your critics directly to the responsables like @imanijoy or @MastodonEngineering

                                    @Pepijn

                                    mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM 1 Reply Last reply
                                    0
                                    • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                                      /2
                                      Clicking Quotes opens now to extern servers, that I have to put the URLs into search to interact with the original?
                                      I can't edit alt texts?? (Or I'm just too bad to find all this stuff)

                                      @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

                                      C This user is from outside of this forum
                                      C This user is from outside of this forum
                                      clearlyclaire@mastodon.online
                                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                                      #32

                                      @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff @imanijoy hi! What happens when you try to edit alt text? I can't reproduce that issue here

                                      naturemc@mastodon.onlineN 1 Reply Last reply
                                      0
                                      • hhttg@mastodon.onlineH hhttg@mastodon.online

                                        @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff
                                        Sorry, @NatureMC,for ranting against the UI here in your thread. I'm just in shock and anger.
                                        Besides I had to cut my previous post because the UI kept telling me that using 480 of 500 text characters is just too long 😒.

                                        mastodonengineering@mastodon.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                                        mastodonengineering@mastodon.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
                                        mastodonengineering@mastodon.social
                                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                                        #33

                                        @hhttg @NatureMC @Mastodon @staff This looks like a bug, could you send a screenshot of the composer when this happens, if you are able to reproduce?

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        0
                                        • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                                          @hhttg I rant too, no problem!
                                          Meanwhile I'm so angry: yes, i had the same problem with the character limit, I tried 3 times to post something under 500 characters in vain.
                                          To publish such a slop version ... wait, perhaps it was vibe coding? 🥶

                                          @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

                                          renchap@oisaur.comR This user is from outside of this forum
                                          renchap@oisaur.comR This user is from outside of this forum
                                          renchap@oisaur.com
                                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                                          #34

                                          @NatureMC @hhttg We do not use AI, and the team has been running this version for some weeks. This is very likely a bug that nobody hit yet, if we know how to reproduce it, it will get fixed.

                                          naturemc@mastodon.onlineN 1 Reply Last reply
                                          0
                                          Svar
                                          • Svar som emne
                                          Login for at svare
                                          • Ældste til nyeste
                                          • Nyeste til ældste
                                          • Most Votes


                                          • Log ind

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                                          Graciously hosted by data.coop
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Hjem
                                          • Seneste
                                          • Etiketter
                                          • Populære
                                          • Verden
                                          • Bruger
                                          • Grupper