Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. I just got a shock.

I just got a shock.

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
mastodon
46 Indlæg 12 Posters 0 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • hhttg@mastodon.onlineH hhttg@mastodon.online

    @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff
    Same here. Besides being totally non-intuitiv I can't find today's trends which I've activated in the preferences. And to write a new toot I need to click on the "New post" button on the left which opens the edit window on the right of the screen. Who thought this was a great idea? The new UI just looks like a colossal waste of space.

    hatetsu@mastodon.com.plH This user is from outside of this forum
    hatetsu@mastodon.com.plH This user is from outside of this forum
    hatetsu@mastodon.com.pl
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #28

    @hhttg @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff …That's odd, the lower-right corner had a smaller button to open the composer in the mockups they showed off a couple months ago

    1 Reply Last reply
    0
    • mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafe

      @Pepijn @NatureMC

      You are both on mastodon.online. That server runs version "v4.8.0-nightly.2026-10-05", which sounds a little too on-the-edge for a 8K user instance.

      Version "v4.7.3" is the latest official release:

      https://github.com/mastodon/mastodon/releases

      naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
      naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
      naturemc@mastodon.online
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #29

      @mjack I know that they test every new version on our instance. Therefore, I rant at once that they see what they did. 😉
      They plan it for all .... https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2026/08/5.0-laying-the-foundation/

      @Pepijn

      mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM 1 Reply Last reply
      0
      • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

        @mjack I know that they test every new version on our instance. Therefore, I rant at once that they see what they did. 😉
        They plan it for all .... https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2026/08/5.0-laying-the-foundation/

        @Pepijn

        mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM This user is from outside of this forum
        mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM This user is from outside of this forum
        mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafe
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #30

        @NatureMC @Pepijn

        I've never noticed the difference between mastodon.social and mastodon.online before, but if they are using mastodon.online as a test bed, that should be shown prominently on the About page. I don't think:

        "A newer server of Mastodon, operated by Mastodon GmbH for the common good"

        quite covers it.

        https://mastodon.online/about

        naturemc@mastodon.onlineN 1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafe

          @NatureMC @Pepijn

          I've never noticed the difference between mastodon.social and mastodon.online before, but if they are using mastodon.online as a test bed, that should be shown prominently on the About page. I don't think:

          "A newer server of Mastodon, operated by Mastodon GmbH for the common good"

          quite covers it.

          https://mastodon.online/about

          naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
          naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
          naturemc@mastodon.online
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #31

          @mjack I have no influence on it (both instances are run by Mastodon, and are the first for changings). https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2026/08/5.0-laying-the-foundation/

          Give your critics directly to the responsables like @imanijoy or @MastodonEngineering

          @Pepijn

          mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM 1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

            /2
            Clicking Quotes opens now to extern servers, that I have to put the URLs into search to interact with the original?
            I can't edit alt texts?? (Or I'm just too bad to find all this stuff)

            @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

            C This user is from outside of this forum
            C This user is from outside of this forum
            clearlyclaire@mastodon.online
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #32

            @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff @imanijoy hi! What happens when you try to edit alt text? I can't reproduce that issue here

            naturemc@mastodon.onlineN 1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • hhttg@mastodon.onlineH hhttg@mastodon.online

              @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff
              Sorry, @NatureMC,for ranting against the UI here in your thread. I'm just in shock and anger.
              Besides I had to cut my previous post because the UI kept telling me that using 480 of 500 text characters is just too long 😒.

              mastodonengineering@mastodon.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
              mastodonengineering@mastodon.socialM This user is from outside of this forum
              mastodonengineering@mastodon.social
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #33

              @hhttg @NatureMC @Mastodon @staff This looks like a bug, could you send a screenshot of the composer when this happens, if you are able to reproduce?

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                @hhttg I rant too, no problem!
                Meanwhile I'm so angry: yes, i had the same problem with the character limit, I tried 3 times to post something under 500 characters in vain.
                To publish such a slop version ... wait, perhaps it was vibe coding? 🥶

                @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

                renchap@oisaur.comR This user is from outside of this forum
                renchap@oisaur.comR This user is from outside of this forum
                renchap@oisaur.com
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #34

                @NatureMC @hhttg We do not use AI, and the team has been running this version for some weeks. This is very likely a bug that nobody hit yet, if we know how to reproduce it, it will get fixed.

                naturemc@mastodon.onlineN 1 Reply Last reply
                0
                • C clearlyclaire@mastodon.online

                  @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff @imanijoy hi! What happens when you try to edit alt text? I can't reproduce that issue here

                  naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                  naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                  naturemc@mastodon.online
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #35

                  @ClearlyClaire I usually clicked 'edit' on the post, could edit this, and by clicking the alttext buttons edit those. At the moment, the button for the alttexts are no more clickable in edit mode. (Browser version, PC)

                  @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff @imanijoy

                  C 1 Reply Last reply
                  0
                  • renchap@oisaur.comR renchap@oisaur.com

                    @NatureMC @hhttg We do not use AI, and the team has been running this version for some weeks. This is very likely a bug that nobody hit yet, if we know how to reproduce it, it will get fixed.

                    naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                    naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                    naturemc@mastodon.online
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #36

                    @renchap @hhttg Thanks for answering so quickly. There are even more bugs. I try to get a screenshot!

                    renchap@oisaur.comR 1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                      @renchap @hhttg Thanks for answering so quickly. There are even more bugs. I try to get a screenshot!

                      renchap@oisaur.comR This user is from outside of this forum
                      renchap@oisaur.comR This user is from outside of this forum
                      renchap@oisaur.com
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #37

                      @NatureMC @hhttg If you are able to, please post those on GitHub. We are working on setting up another place to report bugs and feedback without a GitHub account.

                      We enabled the new design on mastodon.online this morning as we feel like it’s nearly-ready, and plan to enable it on mastodon.social soon

                      renchap@oisaur.comR naturemc@mastodon.onlineN 2 Replies Last reply
                      0
                      • renchap@oisaur.comR renchap@oisaur.com

                        @NatureMC @hhttg If you are able to, please post those on GitHub. We are working on setting up another place to report bugs and feedback without a GitHub account.

                        We enabled the new design on mastodon.online this morning as we feel like it’s nearly-ready, and plan to enable it on mastodon.social soon

                        renchap@oisaur.comR This user is from outside of this forum
                        renchap@oisaur.comR This user is from outside of this forum
                        renchap@oisaur.com
                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                        #38

                        @NatureMC @hhttg Also it has not been developed in the dark, Imani ran a Discovery week open to all (https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2026/08/discovery-week-2026-what-we-learned-and-what-were-doing-next/), then wrote about the direction (https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2026/08/5.0-laying-the-foundation/) and did a feedback round last week with the people who volunteered.

                        There will be a blog post later this week with explanations about some choices and more details about why some things are changing

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                          @ClearlyClaire I usually clicked 'edit' on the post, could edit this, and by clicking the alttext buttons edit those. At the moment, the button for the alttexts are no more clickable in edit mode. (Browser version, PC)

                          @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff @imanijoy

                          C This user is from outside of this forum
                          C This user is from outside of this forum
                          clearlyclaire@mastodon.online
                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                          #39

                          @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff @imanijoy ah! I think I understand! the “alt” badge is not clickable, but is the option still available in the “…” menu?

                          naturemc@mastodon.onlineN 1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • renchap@oisaur.comR renchap@oisaur.com

                            @NatureMC @hhttg If you are able to, please post those on GitHub. We are working on setting up another place to report bugs and feedback without a GitHub account.

                            We enabled the new design on mastodon.online this morning as we feel like it’s nearly-ready, and plan to enable it on mastodon.social soon

                            naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                            naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                            naturemc@mastodon.online
                            wrote sidst redigeret af
                            #40

                            @renchap Sorry, I'm not on GITHub and I'm absolutely not IT-affin, just a user.

                            renchap@oisaur.comR 1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                              @renchap Sorry, I'm not on GITHub and I'm absolutely not IT-affin, just a user.

                              renchap@oisaur.comR This user is from outside of this forum
                              renchap@oisaur.comR This user is from outside of this forum
                              renchap@oisaur.com
                              wrote sidst redigeret af
                              #41

                              @NatureMC Then you can tag me and I will relay those to the team 🙂

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              0
                              • C clearlyclaire@mastodon.online

                                @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff @imanijoy ah! I think I understand! the “alt” badge is not clickable, but is the option still available in the “…” menu?

                                naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                                naturemc@mastodon.onlineN This user is from outside of this forum
                                naturemc@mastodon.online
                                wrote sidst redigeret af
                                #42

                                @ClearlyClaire Are you from the Mastodon team? Then I will tag you when posting my screenshots.

                                C 1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                                  @ClearlyClaire Are you from the Mastodon team? Then I will tag you when posting my screenshots.

                                  C This user is from outside of this forum
                                  C This user is from outside of this forum
                                  clearlyclaire@mastodon.online
                                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                                  #43

                                  @NatureMC I am; not on the front-end team though

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  0
                                  • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                                    I just got a shock. I want the old design back!!! 😭
                                    It was a matter of seconds, and the Design of #Mastodon changed.

                                    Usually, I have nothing against design changes. But if it hits me so unprepared that I think my browser has a bug ...
                                    A real bug is that I have to make an extra click for writing a post now and get a much too small pop up field down at the right (not at eye's height)! I have to search for notifications ... it's less intuitive than before.

                                    @MastodonEngineering @Mastodon @staff

                                    jmmaok@mastodon.onlineJ This user is from outside of this forum
                                    jmmaok@mastodon.onlineJ This user is from outside of this forum
                                    jmmaok@mastodon.online
                                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                                    #44

                                    @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering I was like, how bad can it be? But on my large monitor, it is a very jarring waste of half the screen real estate. In dark mode, half or more of the screen is black, on either side of the feed.

                                    jmmaok@mastodon.onlineJ 1 Reply Last reply
                                    0
                                    • jmmaok@mastodon.onlineJ jmmaok@mastodon.online

                                      @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering I was like, how bad can it be? But on my large monitor, it is a very jarring waste of half the screen real estate. In dark mode, half or more of the screen is black, on either side of the feed.

                                      jmmaok@mastodon.onlineJ This user is from outside of this forum
                                      jmmaok@mastodon.onlineJ This user is from outside of this forum
                                      jmmaok@mastodon.online
                                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                                      #45

                                      @NatureMC @MastodonEngineering

                                      Also, when clicking New Post, the box opens up about *two feet (60cm)* from the New Post button!

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      0
                                      • naturemc@mastodon.onlineN naturemc@mastodon.online

                                        @mjack I have no influence on it (both instances are run by Mastodon, and are the first for changings). https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2026/08/5.0-laying-the-foundation/

                                        Give your critics directly to the responsables like @imanijoy or @MastodonEngineering

                                        @Pepijn

                                        mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM This user is from outside of this forum
                                        mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafeM This user is from outside of this forum
                                        mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafe
                                        wrote sidst redigeret af mjack@mastodon.bsd.cafe
                                        #46

                                        @NatureMC @Mastodon

                                        I've sent a message, thank you

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        0
                                        Svar
                                        • Svar som emne
                                        Login for at svare
                                        • Ældste til nyeste
                                        • Nyeste til ældste
                                        • Most Votes


                                        • Log ind

                                        • Login or register to search.
                                        Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                                        Graciously hosted by data.coop
                                        • First post
                                          Last post
                                        0
                                        • Hjem
                                        • Seneste
                                        • Etiketter
                                        • Populære
                                        • Verden
                                        • Bruger
                                        • Grupper