Skip to content
  • Hjem
  • Seneste
  • Etiketter
  • Populære
  • Verden
  • Bruger
  • Grupper
Temaer
  • Light
  • Brite
  • Cerulean
  • Cosmo
  • Flatly
  • Journal
  • Litera
  • Lumen
  • Lux
  • Materia
  • Minty
  • Morph
  • Pulse
  • Sandstone
  • Simplex
  • Sketchy
  • Spacelab
  • United
  • Yeti
  • Zephyr
  • Dark
  • Cyborg
  • Darkly
  • Quartz
  • Slate
  • Solar
  • Superhero
  • Vapor

  • Default (No Skin)
  • No Skin
Kollaps
FARVEL BIG TECH
  1. Forside
  2. Ikke-kategoriseret
  3. New Blog: What Would A Serious AI Product Look Like?

New Blog: What Would A Serious AI Product Look Like?

Planlagt Fastgjort Låst Flyttet Ikke-kategoriseret
25 Indlæg 18 Posters 0 Visninger
  • Ældste til nyeste
  • Nyeste til ældste
  • Most Votes
Svar
  • Svar som emne
Login for at svare
Denne tråd er blevet slettet. Kun brugere med emne behandlings privilegier kan se den.
  • glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
    glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
    glyph@mastodon.social
    wrote sidst redigeret af
    #1

    New Blog: What Would A Serious AI Product Look Like?

    Every “AI” tool is missing critical features that you would need if you wanted to do real work with them. What would those look like, if they existed?

    https://blog.glyph.im/2026/09/serious-ai-product.html

    glyph@mastodon.socialG miss_rodent@girlcock.clubM smilingdemon@mastodon.artS hiway@mastodon.socialH di4na@hachyderm.ioD 9 Replies Last reply
    1
    0
    • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

      New Blog: What Would A Serious AI Product Look Like?

      Every “AI” tool is missing critical features that you would need if you wanted to do real work with them. What would those look like, if they existed?

      https://blog.glyph.im/2026/09/serious-ai-product.html

      glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
      glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
      glyph@mastodon.social
      wrote sidst redigeret af
      #2

      I got tired of being told that, as a skeptic, I don't know anything about how to actually use an LLM, that I just need to use it more in order to understand the workflows. I understand the workflows. They are either too dangerous or they don't exist.

      glyph@mastodon.socialG kehvarl@furry.engineerK watters@hachyderm.ioW nini@oldbytes.spaceN 4 Replies Last reply
      0
      • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

        I got tired of being told that, as a skeptic, I don't know anything about how to actually use an LLM, that I just need to use it more in order to understand the workflows. I understand the workflows. They are either too dangerous or they don't exist.

        glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
        glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
        glyph@mastodon.social
        wrote sidst redigeret af
        #3

        This post will do exactly nothing to stop the flood of such replies. But a man can dream. And now at least I can just drop a link and move on.

        jdp23@neuromatch.socialJ 1 Reply Last reply
        0
        • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

          I got tired of being told that, as a skeptic, I don't know anything about how to actually use an LLM, that I just need to use it more in order to understand the workflows. I understand the workflows. They are either too dangerous or they don't exist.

          kehvarl@furry.engineerK This user is from outside of this forum
          kehvarl@furry.engineerK This user is from outside of this forum
          kehvarl@furry.engineer
          wrote sidst redigeret af
          #4

          @glyph

          That sounds a lot like: "You can't understand how to properly use drugs if you don't use the drugs enough." ( Please substitute the legal or otherwise performance-enhancing substance of your choice.)

          I thought it was just a tool. Shouldn't tools include proper documentation or training. Maybe some descriptions of when they're the right tool for the job and when they're not?

          teotwaki@mastodon.onlineT 1 Reply Last reply
          0
          • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

            New Blog: What Would A Serious AI Product Look Like?

            Every “AI” tool is missing critical features that you would need if you wanted to do real work with them. What would those look like, if they existed?

            https://blog.glyph.im/2026/09/serious-ai-product.html

            miss_rodent@girlcock.clubM This user is from outside of this forum
            miss_rodent@girlcock.clubM This user is from outside of this forum
            miss_rodent@girlcock.club
            wrote sidst redigeret af
            #5

            @glyph wrt the natural-language interfaces... natural language is a *terrible* way to deal with a lot of things. Particularly in the sciences and engineering and math and computing, where we have, for the entire lifetimes of those as serious fields, gone *out of our way* to develop entire new notation systems and standards to try to deal with them without natural language...
            Like, pretty often you can have one page of math notation, or you can have a 60-page natural language explanation.

            1 Reply Last reply
            0
            • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

              I got tired of being told that, as a skeptic, I don't know anything about how to actually use an LLM, that I just need to use it more in order to understand the workflows. I understand the workflows. They are either too dangerous or they don't exist.

              watters@hachyderm.ioW This user is from outside of this forum
              watters@hachyderm.ioW This user is from outside of this forum
              watters@hachyderm.io
              wrote sidst redigeret af
              #6

              @glyph I daily see the output extruded with LLMs by enthusiastic supporters who have been eagerly using the tools to generate code for a couple of years now and…using it more does not cause the output to be good.

              1 Reply Last reply
              0
              • kehvarl@furry.engineerK kehvarl@furry.engineer

                @glyph

                That sounds a lot like: "You can't understand how to properly use drugs if you don't use the drugs enough." ( Please substitute the legal or otherwise performance-enhancing substance of your choice.)

                I thought it was just a tool. Shouldn't tools include proper documentation or training. Maybe some descriptions of when they're the right tool for the job and when they're not?

                teotwaki@mastodon.onlineT This user is from outside of this forum
                teotwaki@mastodon.onlineT This user is from outside of this forum
                teotwaki@mastodon.online
                wrote sidst redigeret af
                #7

                @Kehvarl @glyph Yes and no.

                Yes, tools have a specific utility and purpose. Yes, you may gain some knowledge on the intended utility and use case by reading about the tools. No, you don’t get an understanding (aka, knowledge + experience) just by reading.

                For example, I think most people know what a circular saw, jigsaw, and router look like and they have some knowledge of how they function.

                Most people don’t have the understanding of how to make a lap joint using said tools, or why.

                teotwaki@mastodon.onlineT sabik@rants.auS 2 Replies Last reply
                0
                • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

                  This post will do exactly nothing to stop the flood of such replies. But a man can dream. And now at least I can just drop a link and move on.

                  jdp23@neuromatch.socialJ This user is from outside of this forum
                  jdp23@neuromatch.socialJ This user is from outside of this forum
                  jdp23@neuromatch.social
                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                  #8

                  @glyph totally agree about how bots shouldn't be allowed ot use first-person language. In the last Washington state legislative session, there was a bill prohibiting chatbots from using several manipulative techniques with minors, and I pointed out that using first-person language was even more manipulative than the techniques they were banning so they really should include that as well. For that matter I also suggested that only prohibiting applying these techniques to minors legitimized applying them to seniors, adults with mental health problems and other vulnerable groups, so the extensions should apply to everybody -- and several researches who had done studies on the harms of AI chatbots also suggested that. But no. It's almost as if they were more concerned about looking like they were doing something to reduce harms than about actually doing something to reduce harms.

                  glyph@mastodon.socialG vervain@sunny.gardenV f4grx@chaos.socialF epic_null@infosec.exchangeE 4 Replies Last reply
                  0
                  • jdp23@neuromatch.socialJ jdp23@neuromatch.social

                    @glyph totally agree about how bots shouldn't be allowed ot use first-person language. In the last Washington state legislative session, there was a bill prohibiting chatbots from using several manipulative techniques with minors, and I pointed out that using first-person language was even more manipulative than the techniques they were banning so they really should include that as well. For that matter I also suggested that only prohibiting applying these techniques to minors legitimized applying them to seniors, adults with mental health problems and other vulnerable groups, so the extensions should apply to everybody -- and several researches who had done studies on the harms of AI chatbots also suggested that. But no. It's almost as if they were more concerned about looking like they were doing something to reduce harms than about actually doing something to reduce harms.

                    glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
                    glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
                    glyph@mastodon.social
                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                    #9

                    @jdp23 man I have so much to say about this but I have already written so many words today. suffice it to say I couldn’t agree more

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    0
                    • teotwaki@mastodon.onlineT teotwaki@mastodon.online

                      @Kehvarl @glyph Yes and no.

                      Yes, tools have a specific utility and purpose. Yes, you may gain some knowledge on the intended utility and use case by reading about the tools. No, you don’t get an understanding (aka, knowledge + experience) just by reading.

                      For example, I think most people know what a circular saw, jigsaw, and router look like and they have some knowledge of how they function.

                      Most people don’t have the understanding of how to make a lap joint using said tools, or why.

                      teotwaki@mastodon.onlineT This user is from outside of this forum
                      teotwaki@mastodon.onlineT This user is from outside of this forum
                      teotwaki@mastodon.online
                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                      #10

                      @Kehvarl @glyph Now, there is no doubt in my mind that Glyph has both the knowledge, experience and understanding he claims to have.

                      But just because you’ve read about LLMs and agentic workflows doesn’t mean you understand how appealing and debilitating—in one word, how corrupting—they are.

                      It’s almost like all those jokes and stories about genies that kind of understood what you asked for and then took wild liberties with one specific clause.

                      Today you get 3 wishes. Tomorrow 10k tokens.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      0
                      • teotwaki@mastodon.onlineT teotwaki@mastodon.online

                        @Kehvarl @glyph Yes and no.

                        Yes, tools have a specific utility and purpose. Yes, you may gain some knowledge on the intended utility and use case by reading about the tools. No, you don’t get an understanding (aka, knowledge + experience) just by reading.

                        For example, I think most people know what a circular saw, jigsaw, and router look like and they have some knowledge of how they function.

                        Most people don’t have the understanding of how to make a lap joint using said tools, or why.

                        sabik@rants.auS This user is from outside of this forum
                        sabik@rants.auS This user is from outside of this forum
                        sabik@rants.au
                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                        #11

                        @teotwaki @Kehvarl @glyph
                        Hence "documentation or training"; you can get training in how to use a circular saw safely and how to make a lap joint

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        0
                        • jdp23@neuromatch.socialJ jdp23@neuromatch.social

                          @glyph totally agree about how bots shouldn't be allowed ot use first-person language. In the last Washington state legislative session, there was a bill prohibiting chatbots from using several manipulative techniques with minors, and I pointed out that using first-person language was even more manipulative than the techniques they were banning so they really should include that as well. For that matter I also suggested that only prohibiting applying these techniques to minors legitimized applying them to seniors, adults with mental health problems and other vulnerable groups, so the extensions should apply to everybody -- and several researches who had done studies on the harms of AI chatbots also suggested that. But no. It's almost as if they were more concerned about looking like they were doing something to reduce harms than about actually doing something to reduce harms.

                          vervain@sunny.gardenV This user is from outside of this forum
                          vervain@sunny.gardenV This user is from outside of this forum
                          vervain@sunny.garden
                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                          #12

                          @jdp23

                          Thank you for your work.
                          @glyph

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          0
                          • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

                            New Blog: What Would A Serious AI Product Look Like?

                            Every “AI” tool is missing critical features that you would need if you wanted to do real work with them. What would those look like, if they existed?

                            https://blog.glyph.im/2026/09/serious-ai-product.html

                            smilingdemon@mastodon.artS This user is from outside of this forum
                            smilingdemon@mastodon.artS This user is from outside of this forum
                            smilingdemon@mastodon.art
                            wrote sidst redigeret af
                            #13

                            @glyph all of this so much. Thank you for putting the words to the page!

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            0
                            • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

                              New Blog: What Would A Serious AI Product Look Like?

                              Every “AI” tool is missing critical features that you would need if you wanted to do real work with them. What would those look like, if they existed?

                              https://blog.glyph.im/2026/09/serious-ai-product.html

                              hiway@mastodon.socialH This user is from outside of this forum
                              hiway@mastodon.socialH This user is from outside of this forum
                              hiway@mastodon.social
                              wrote sidst redigeret af
                              #14

                              @glyph gratitude for this post!

                              // I've made a few tools for myself using LLMs - scripts or programs. *If* I use an LLM at runtime, it's invoked through a standard UI action - never chat, and the underlying context is configurable. Had not realized until reading your words that this isn't standard practice.

                              The harnesses from "frontier" labs are like old science kits for kids with dangerous materials. One must infer that people involved in building them are unserious and/or delusional.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              0
                              • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

                                New Blog: What Would A Serious AI Product Look Like?

                                Every “AI” tool is missing critical features that you would need if you wanted to do real work with them. What would those look like, if they existed?

                                https://blog.glyph.im/2026/09/serious-ai-product.html

                                di4na@hachyderm.ioD This user is from outside of this forum
                                di4na@hachyderm.ioD This user is from outside of this forum
                                di4na@hachyderm.io
                                wrote sidst redigeret af
                                #15

                                @glyph I do not disagree but I am not sure LLMs can actually still "work" with these. Or that the current architecture can support these measures.

                                Which... Well reach the same point as your conclusion isn't it....

                                glyph@mastodon.socialG 1 Reply Last reply
                                0
                                • di4na@hachyderm.ioD di4na@hachyderm.io

                                  @glyph I do not disagree but I am not sure LLMs can actually still "work" with these. Or that the current architecture can support these measures.

                                  Which... Well reach the same point as your conclusion isn't it....

                                  glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
                                  glyph@mastodon.socialG This user is from outside of this forum
                                  glyph@mastodon.social
                                  wrote sidst redigeret af
                                  #16

                                  @Di4na yeah, that was kinda the point. I guess it was well-written if I brought you along with me to the end before you got there:)

                                  di4na@hachyderm.ioD 1 Reply Last reply
                                  0
                                  • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

                                    I got tired of being told that, as a skeptic, I don't know anything about how to actually use an LLM, that I just need to use it more in order to understand the workflows. I understand the workflows. They are either too dangerous or they don't exist.

                                    nini@oldbytes.spaceN This user is from outside of this forum
                                    nini@oldbytes.spaceN This user is from outside of this forum
                                    nini@oldbytes.space
                                    wrote sidst redigeret af
                                    #17

                                    @glyph Did they just "skill issue lol" your scepticism? Yeah, seems right.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    0
                                    • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

                                      @Di4na yeah, that was kinda the point. I guess it was well-written if I brought you along with me to the end before you got there:)

                                      di4na@hachyderm.ioD This user is from outside of this forum
                                      di4na@hachyderm.ioD This user is from outside of this forum
                                      di4na@hachyderm.io
                                      wrote sidst redigeret af
                                      #18

                                      @glyph Oh I was there at the start, and I felt that point that LLM are *fundamentally* not able to do these things that are needed is something I did not feel in there, but yes. Well written 🙂 and thank you for putting it out!

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      0
                                      • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

                                        New Blog: What Would A Serious AI Product Look Like?

                                        Every “AI” tool is missing critical features that you would need if you wanted to do real work with them. What would those look like, if they existed?

                                        https://blog.glyph.im/2026/09/serious-ai-product.html

                                        E This user is from outside of this forum
                                        E This user is from outside of this forum
                                        edward@activitypub.ro
                                        wrote sidst redigeret af
                                        #19
                                        @glyph I think there should be more applications of an LLM's outputs and internal state besides just answering prompts. Such as spellchecking, next word prediction (for when you're out of ideas on how to finish a sentence) or detecting unexpected phrasings.
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        0
                                        • glyph@mastodon.socialG glyph@mastodon.social

                                          New Blog: What Would A Serious AI Product Look Like?

                                          Every “AI” tool is missing critical features that you would need if you wanted to do real work with them. What would those look like, if they existed?

                                          https://blog.glyph.im/2026/09/serious-ai-product.html

                                          anne@precise.spaceA This user is from outside of this forum
                                          anne@precise.spaceA This user is from outside of this forum
                                          anne@precise.space
                                          wrote sidst redigeret af
                                          #20

                                          @glyph I like this post a lot. I have one minor piece of feedback if you'd like to hear it, if not feel free to ignore.

                                          One mitigation you suggest is an in house therapist at companies to check for AI-usage-related health issues. As someone who has been in therapy outside of work I'm skeptical of this as the solution. I suspect you're looking for an analogy to an in house doctor for diagnosis of physical injuries. If that's what you mean (a) you probably mean psychologist rather than therapist but (b) I don't trust my employer with that knowledge of myself anyway, as the incentives are misaligned, and maybe something like worker's comp is the model to go for.

                                          glyph@mastodon.socialG 1 Reply Last reply
                                          0
                                          Svar
                                          • Svar som emne
                                          Login for at svare
                                          • Ældste til nyeste
                                          • Nyeste til ældste
                                          • Most Votes


                                          • Log ind

                                          • Login or register to search.
                                          Powered by NodeBB Contributors
                                          Graciously hosted by data.coop
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Hjem
                                          • Seneste
                                          • Etiketter
                                          • Populære
                                          • Verden
                                          • Bruger
                                          • Grupper