Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels.
-
Turbines kill birds. They don’t you jerk. Your cat is more a danger to birds. #StateOfEU
Edit: for clarification - the number isn’t zero. But it’s not a significant issue.
@jon i hate that the bird argument is a real thing. it's such a good telling how deep we are standing in the crap
-
Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels. Damn we‘re fucked. Fucked. Our notional political elite is believing in utter complete garbage.
@jon There's a far worse event of political leaders disconnected from reality. It's when they perfectly represent who elected them first.
-
Turbines kill birds. They don’t you jerk. Your cat is more a danger to birds. #StateOfEU
Edit: for clarification - the number isn’t zero. But it’s not a significant issue.
@jon I mean, did they even think for a split second about how much nuclear, coal, gas etc kill tons of life?
What a clown show.It's the same reasoning as always:
An improvement that brings a dozen benefits comes with a teeny tiny cost, usually negligible, and then they're against it, given they got to enjoy a nice dinner.
Just like in the US and anywhere else.Offer swapping some airplanes that also endanger birds plus way more for some wind turbines.
Of course they won't accept it. -
@jon i hate that the bird argument is a real thing. it's such a good telling how deep we are standing in the crap
@nikolar Right. Exactly this. It’s so obviously stupid as an argument but here I am with university educated polite society and I’m confronted with it. As if it’s an acceptable argument!
-
Turbines kill birds. They don’t you jerk. Your cat is more a danger to birds. #StateOfEU
Edit: for clarification - the number isn’t zero. But it’s not a significant issue.
@jon They did an experiment where they painted (one of?) the blades in black to make it more visible, which reduced the number of dead birds by 70%.
https://www.intelligentliving.co/norway-bird-deaths-black-turbine-blades/
-
And there was another line. “It’s rich landowners in Brandenburg taking the subsidies from the state to build wind turbines”. This is an equality / distribution issue, not an energy issue! Think of the opposite: “we shouldn’t build turbines there because the land owners are rich!” Errrr… #StateOfEU
@jon I suggest building a nuclear power plant in his garden instead. To get closer to the people, you know.

-
@jon What I always feel gets missed out on the subject of bird deaths is: nothing has a bigger overall, long-term impact on bird populations than habitat loss.
And what makes habitat loss a much, much more pressing concern? Climate change.
Over a longer period, turbines can save the lives of countless birds.
Why not all of the above?
Turbines *could* save the lives of countless birds, but only in a society that values non-human life the same as human life (or even just convenience).
So, in the mean time, we will kill birds by all available methods: by destroying their habitats with roads, pavements, expanding farm land, pesticides, electric transmission lines, and yes, even by owning cats.
-
“And those turbines you see in Brandenburg approaching Berlin are so UGLY!” he went on. Climate change, that’s ugly. #StateOfEU
@jon they are talking about these wind turbines, right? RIGHT???
-
This is the ethical point here: NOTHING is more important than combatting climate change. Nothing. Without a liveable planet nothing else works. I’ll have a debate about the numbers, and how to decarbonise. But I’ve no time for whataboutism, nimbyism or conspiracy theories. #StateOfEU
Yep, but that's the thing: many people, politicians and citizens alike, disagree with you on that point! That's democracy for you.
-
Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels. Damn we‘re fucked. Fucked. Our notional political elite is believing in utter complete garbage.
@jon Every conspiracy theorist is somewhere on the vertical axis, moving upwards and adding more.
-
This is the ethical point here: NOTHING is more important than combatting climate change. Nothing. Without a liveable planet nothing else works. I’ll have a debate about the numbers, and how to decarbonise. But I’ve no time for whataboutism, nimbyism or conspiracy theories. #StateOfEU
@jon respectfully, if we somehow resolve/address our climate change problem, but not our #racism problem, that's a fail. BOTH are peer priorities a la #ClimateJustice.
-
Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels. Damn we‘re fucked. Fucked. Our notional political elite is believing in utter complete garbage.
@jon NdGT lays out the problem.
-
Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels. Damn we‘re fucked. Fucked. Our notional political elite is believing in utter complete garbage.
@jon people will say anything for oil money.
-
@jon What I always feel gets missed out on the subject of bird deaths is: nothing has a bigger overall, long-term impact on bird populations than habitat loss.
And what makes habitat loss a much, much more pressing concern? Climate change.
Over a longer period, turbines can save the lives of countless birds.
@RolloTreadway @jon just wait til people find out about the wildlife destruction caused by cars...
-
“And those turbines you see in Brandenburg approaching Berlin are so UGLY!” he went on. Climate change, that’s ugly. #StateOfEU
@jon Living in Czech Republic I don't cease to be amazed by how brainwashed against wind turbines the people are here. Even biologists working with Ecology support this nonsense. Both this "ugly/changes the landscape" stuff, and the birds. What is worse is that here they're all in on nuclear, believe it's all they'll ever need. I think there is a point to be made that disabling already installed nuclear was a bad move in Germany, but building new will never be worth it compared to alternatives.
-
This is the ethical point here: NOTHING is more important than combatting climate change. Nothing. Without a liveable planet nothing else works. I’ll have a debate about the numbers, and how to decarbonise. But I’ve no time for whataboutism, nimbyism or conspiracy theories. #StateOfEU
@jon That's a statement of personal values that is not universal. There are things more important than personal survival and there are things more important than cultural or even species survival. -
Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels. Damn we‘re fucked. Fucked. Our notional political elite is believing in utter complete garbage.
@jon Let me guess: Cherry picked examples of their "dangers" and for each of these scenarios they're not even in the top 50 of worst offenders.
- Dead birds? Guess we should ban outdoor cats.
- Microplastics? Let me tell you a story about tire and brake abrasions.
- Infrasound emissions? Again, have you heard about cars, heavy industry or data centers?!
- Space requirements? Again... Cars? -
“And those turbines you see in Brandenburg approaching Berlin are so UGLY!” he went on. Climate change, that’s ugly. #StateOfEU
@jon the turbines I see in Brandenburg when I come back to Berlin are awesome! That person is an idiot
-
Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels. Damn we‘re fucked. Fucked. Our notional political elite is believing in utter complete garbage.
@jon That conspiracy theory was probably an American export...apologies
-
Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels. Damn we‘re fucked. Fucked. Our notional political elite is believing in utter complete garbage.
@jon My analysis would suggest that trying to stuff all this cheap renewable wind power onto a JIT grid is a poor climate optimization strategy. All the wind datasets I’ve modelled exhibit unbridgeable seasonal supply deficits. There is a better way. Use wind to make green steel.
https://energyasicit.ca/EnergyVision/
https://energyasicit.ca/HomeEnergy/