Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels.
-
And there was another line. “It’s rich landowners in Brandenburg taking the subsidies from the state to build wind turbines”. This is an equality / distribution issue, not an energy issue! Think of the opposite: “we shouldn’t build turbines there because the land owners are rich!” Errrr… #StateOfEU
@jon Also we know since the 1980s that the solution is to #tax rents/windfall profits. Not perfect, but better than other solutions.
Or in other words, «From an allocative efficiency perspective, the proposed cap is not strategically neutral to market participants, but clearly superior to alternative measures that affect price formation overall, such as subsidies to marginal technologies or the abandonment of uniform pricing.»
https://www.europarl.europa.eu/thinktank/en/document/IPOL_STU(2023)740076 -
@nikolar Right. Exactly this. It’s so obviously stupid as an argument but here I am with university educated polite society and I’m confronted with it. As if it’s an acceptable argument!
-
Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels. Damn we‘re fucked. Fucked. Our notional political elite is believing in utter complete garbage.
@jon I assumed as much after following #ChatControl poop-show.
-
Yep, but that's the thing: many people, politicians and citizens alike, disagree with you on that point! That's democracy for you.
@jackofalltrades something that’s wrong is wrong, however many people believe it
-
@econads@mendeddrum.org @jon@gruene.social who cares whether it's renewable? Biogas is technically renewable even though it is a fossil fuel. We need to focus entirely on carbon sequestration and environmental impact, not a meaningless buzzword.
-
@jon respectfully, if we somehow resolve/address our climate change problem, but not our #racism problem, that's a fail. BOTH are peer priorities a la #ClimateJustice.
@greg_b Sure. But fighting for our future in an unliveable world isn’t going to help people be respectful to their neighbours.
-
This is the ethical point here: NOTHING is more important than combatting climate change. Nothing. Without a liveable planet nothing else works. I’ll have a debate about the numbers, and how to decarbonise. But I’ve no time for whataboutism, nimbyism or conspiracy theories. #StateOfEU
@jon We're all going to die anyways.
-
@jon people will say anything for oil money.
@crucialbreeze he’s not even directly paid by them! (The one I was talking to)
-
@jon Living in Czech Republic I don't cease to be amazed by how brainwashed against wind turbines the people are here. Even biologists working with Ecology support this nonsense. Both this "ugly/changes the landscape" stuff, and the birds. What is worse is that here they're all in on nuclear, believe it's all they'll ever need. I think there is a point to be made that disabling already installed nuclear was a bad move in Germany, but building new will never be worth it compared to alternatives.
@LeoRJorge Right
that re Germany. -
@jon That's a statement of personal values that is not universal. There are things more important than personal survival and there are things more important than cultural or even species survival.
@mike this isn’t personal survival. It’s species survival. I’ll survive personally.
-
@jon the turbines I see in Brandenburg when I come back to Berlin are awesome! That person is an idiot
@matzipan Same! Totally.
-
“And those turbines you see in Brandenburg approaching Berlin are so UGLY!” he went on. Climate change, that’s ugly. #StateOfEU
@jon also, wind turbines are beautiful!
-
This is the ethical point here: NOTHING is more important than combatting climate change. Nothing. Without a liveable planet nothing else works. I’ll have a debate about the numbers, and how to decarbonise. But I’ve no time for whataboutism, nimbyism or conspiracy theories. #StateOfEU
@jon And my impression is, we were in a better position around 2019/20. Instead of progress too many steps. And this continues with Merz. Söder, Frei, Linnemann, Reiche, ....
-
Yep, but that's the thing: many people, politicians and citizens alike, disagree with you on that point! That's democracy for you.
@jackofalltrades @jon No. Democracy is not about believing in different facts or truths. This is one of the common misconceptions of today.
There are facts and there is truth, and people can believe in different things in what is best (for them). That is democracy.
-
Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels. Damn we‘re fucked. Fucked. Our notional political elite is believing in utter complete garbage.
@jon Jon, you got the smart ones. I met someone in Paris last year who claimed to be a reporter. She insisted that wind turbines are a complete scam, and only there for show. She said they consume electricity to turn the blades and reinforce the deception.
-
@jon That's a statement of personal values that is not universal. There are things more important than personal survival and there are things more important than cultural or even species survival.
-
@jackofalltrades @jon No. Democracy is not about believing in different facts or truths. This is one of the common misconceptions of today.
There are facts and there is truth, and people can believe in different things in what is best (for them). That is democracy.
We seem to agree, why start the toot with "No"?
People can believe in different things in what is best for them - that's exactly what I'm saying. Most people believe that combating climate change is NOT the most important thing to them.
Most believe that climate change is happening and is caused by humans (the facts / truth), but they still have different priorities (what is best for them): the cost of living, health, housing, immigration, etc.
-
@jon NdGT lays out the problem.
@DukeDuke @jon Best not to give him any more publicity, at the very least.
https://slate.com/technology/2018/12/neil-degrasse-tyson-sexual-harassment-allegations-response.html
-
@jackofalltrades something that’s wrong is wrong, however many people believe it
@jon Indeed. However, it is the will of the many, not ethics of the few, that ultimately decide what route humanity will take.
-
@DukeDuke @jon Best not to give him any more publicity, at the very least.
https://slate.com/technology/2018/12/neil-degrasse-tyson-sexual-harassment-allegations-response.html
️ Un-boosted.