Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan was about to say "and furries", then I realised I was just restating the point
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan I do not like how accurate this is. Stop it.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan I am in this picture and I am not sure if I like it.
-
@douglasvb @dlakelan I have been wondering whether coming down from the trees was such a great idea...
-
@w_b @60sRefugee @dlakelan I dunno. Pretty sure letters to the editor and personal ads in the local newspaper were the OG social media.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan I’m only 34, but can I come along?


-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan At the risk of repeating others or taking it too serious:
This ignores a significant amount of people actually building and using this thing.

-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan Pepperidge Farm remembers when the web was for sharing useful information and had no corporations or ads. Pepperidge Farm is now owned by Campbell's.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan Nailed it!
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
-
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
-
@pteryx @iakobsdesamos @douglasvb @dlakelan yeah, it is very difficult to have this conversation with people (especially when you know they just migrated away from Facebook... and can't see the pattern here)
@aoanla @iakobsdesamos @douglasvb @dlakelan
I'm starting to suspect that the vast majority of people *didn't notice* that for about a decade and a half there, the Net was a public space primarily about things that *weren't* corporate.(Before that it was more restricted-access, after that it had been captured.)
-
@randomgeek @dlakelan in an SF accent, "trust us bro" rhymes with "symbiot", so I guess the con was there all along, but. Yeah, same.
-
@aoanla @iakobsdesamos @douglasvb @dlakelan
I'm starting to suspect that the vast majority of people *didn't notice* that for about a decade and a half there, the Net was a public space primarily about things that *weren't* corporate.(Before that it was more restricted-access, after that it had been captured.)
@pteryx @aoanla @iakobsdesamos @dlakelan wasn't that an amazing time for humanity?
-
@pteryx @aoanla @iakobsdesamos @dlakelan wasn't that an amazing time for humanity?
@douglasvb @aoanla @iakobsdesamos @dlakelan
It was! And it allowed me to actually make friends for once, too! -
@dlakelan There isn't a "big mood" style of expression big enough to express the size of the mood I'm currently experiencing from your toot.
This was all a mistake. We should go back to disconnected BBSes. Or maybe ditch all the digital stuff and return to encyclopedias.
@douglasvb @dlakelan YES
-
@douglasvb @aoanla @iakobsdesamos @dlakelan
It was! And it allowed me to actually make friends for once, too!@pteryx @aoanla @iakobsdesamos @dlakelan same!!!
I am STILL friends with people I met online in the early days of the Internet and I've met about 75% of them in person at least once!
-
@iakobsdesamos @douglasvb @dlakelan
I want to cry when I think about the blog and lolcat glory days of the 2000s.@MaryAustinBooks @iakobsdesamos @douglasvb @dlakelan man, i miss livejournal.
-
@MaryAustinBooks @iakobsdesamos @douglasvb @dlakelan man, i miss livejournal.
@rothko @MaryAustinBooks @iakobsdesamos @douglasvb @dlakelan
At the very least, Dreamwidth exists. Fork from back when LJ started showing signs of going bad. -
Fediverse, the social media system for 40+ year old people who built the world wide web and regret it.
@dlakelan I think we're all here.