Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels.
-
@jackofalltrades @jon No. Democracy is not about believing in different facts or truths. This is one of the common misconceptions of today.
There are facts and there is truth, and people can believe in different things in what is best (for them). That is democracy.
We seem to agree, why start the toot with "No"?
People can believe in different things in what is best for them - that's exactly what I'm saying. Most people believe that combating climate change is NOT the most important thing to them.
Most believe that climate change is happening and is caused by humans (the facts / truth), but they still have different priorities (what is best for them): the cost of living, health, housing, immigration, etc.
-
@jon NdGT lays out the problem.
@DukeDuke @jon Best not to give him any more publicity, at the very least.
https://slate.com/technology/2018/12/neil-degrasse-tyson-sexual-harassment-allegations-response.html
-
@jackofalltrades something that’s wrong is wrong, however many people believe it
@jon Indeed. However, it is the will of the many, not ethics of the few, that ultimately decide what route humanity will take.
-
@DukeDuke @jon Best not to give him any more publicity, at the very least.
https://slate.com/technology/2018/12/neil-degrasse-tyson-sexual-harassment-allegations-response.html
-
This is the ethical point here: NOTHING is more important than combatting climate change. Nothing. Without a liveable planet nothing else works. I’ll have a debate about the numbers, and how to decarbonise. But I’ve no time for whataboutism, nimbyism or conspiracy theories. #StateOfEU
@jon Yes, climate change is a singularity. But I think, war is still the greater devil. It kills people much faster, causes great misery closer to the present day. It comes along with other devils like genocide and mass murder. And it will stop the work against climate change.
-
-
Just had to deal with a bunch of wind turbine conspiracy theories at #StateOfEU, this polite political event I’m at in Brussels. Damn we‘re fucked. Fucked. Our notional political elite is believing in utter complete garbage.
@jon Worse: graduating fossil fuels as baseload power, is actually going in the opposite direction.
-
This is the ethical point here: NOTHING is more important than combatting climate change. Nothing. Without a liveable planet nothing else works. I’ll have a debate about the numbers, and how to decarbonise. But I’ve no time for whataboutism, nimbyism or conspiracy theories. #StateOfEU
And I just told this story in the full plenary here. Predictably it went down like a bucket of sick. #StateOfEU
-
And I just told this story in the full plenary here. Predictably it went down like a bucket of sick. #StateOfEU
And the moderator used the typical fossil fuels talking point that dependence on fossil fuels is just as problematic as dependence on Chinese solar panels. These are NOT equivalent! Once you’ve got your solar panel it is yours. #StateOfEU
-
And the moderator used the typical fossil fuels talking point that dependence on fossil fuels is just as problematic as dependence on Chinese solar panels. These are NOT equivalent! Once you’ve got your solar panel it is yours. #StateOfEU
@jon Curiously, no one asks where the uranium for your nuclear power plant is coming from
-
And the moderator used the typical fossil fuels talking point that dependence on fossil fuels is just as problematic as dependence on Chinese solar panels. These are NOT equivalent! Once you’ve got your solar panel it is yours. #StateOfEU
@jon
„Social panel“ is nice.
-
@jon Curiously, no one asks where the uranium for your nuclear power plant is coming from
@rainerzufall_le not in your back garden. So ok. Or something. (I’m not being serious of course)
-
@jon
„Social panel“ is nice.
@Moss_the_TeXie oops. Editing!
-
And the moderator used the typical fossil fuels talking point that dependence on fossil fuels is just as problematic as dependence on Chinese solar panels. These are NOT equivalent! Once you’ve got your solar panel it is yours. #StateOfEU
And the moderator then “there are two ways to see it” about my complaint about conspiracy theories about wind. No there aren’t. Wind turbines aren’t a serious danger to birds, compared to other dangers. #StateOfEU
-
@rainerzufall_le not in your back garden. So ok. Or something. (I’m not being serious of course)
@jon If Russia is involved, that's also fine
https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/niedersachsen/osnabrueck_emsland/lingen-bund-haelt-an-atom-kooperation-mit-russland-fest,rosatom-114.html -
And the moderator then “there are two ways to see it” about my complaint about conspiracy theories about wind. No there aren’t. Wind turbines aren’t a serious danger to birds, compared to other dangers. #StateOfEU
@jon False balance at work.
-
@jon False balance at work.
@giggls exactly. And a complete inability to see this! Aaaagghhhhhhh. I hate it.
-
And there was another line. “It’s rich landowners in Brandenburg taking the subsidies from the state to build wind turbines”. This is an equality / distribution issue, not an energy issue! Think of the opposite: “we shouldn’t build turbines there because the land owners are rich!” Errrr… #StateOfEU
@jon Actually rigorous academic paper from researcher at UCLA (presented while I was there and now I can't remember the author's name, sorry) found that transition to renewable energies had consequences for land ownership equity — bunch of plots of small landowners in the area had been purchased by few large energy companies, so ownership was concentrating. Guess what? Didn't recommend stopping the transition!! just taking that equity side into account when planning and setting public policy.
-
And the moderator then “there are two ways to see it” about my complaint about conspiracy theories about wind. No there aren’t. Wind turbines aren’t a serious danger to birds, compared to other dangers. #StateOfEU
This panel is so dreadful. A business “I know how to fix it!” dude. A “everything is complex” politics lady. A “we’re doing our best” national civil servant dude. #StateOfEU
-
@jon Actually rigorous academic paper from researcher at UCLA (presented while I was there and now I can't remember the author's name, sorry) found that transition to renewable energies had consequences for land ownership equity — bunch of plots of small landowners in the area had been purchased by few large energy companies, so ownership was concentrating. Guess what? Didn't recommend stopping the transition!! just taking that equity side into account when planning and setting public policy.
@annasdtc totally. Of course!
️ Un-boosted.